Old 10-03-2013, 05:53 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Shall we move to social media?

Its not about the money or the workload.. there are less than 70 posts in the entire last year. About one post every 4 days, if you average that out.

The group no longer really offers a valuable information base for new users, and everyone has pretty much moved on. The idea was to take it someone with more traffic and higher visibility, like facebook.

IMHO the purpose of the group was to be offer information and tips for those seeking assistance, but obviously, the world has moved on past usenet discussions to web based forums and social media like facebook.

(Personally, I really like forums, but thats a lot more work than usenet moderation, and frankly, I don;t think the traffic we have warrants the effort.)

I'll happily moderate as long as the group decides to keep it, but as I said, I think the wolrd has moved beyond usenet discussions.

Gareee

Old 11-03-2013, 11:11 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Sadly, I agree.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:46 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 12:53:21 EDT, Gojira
wrote:

I'll happily moderate as long as the group decides to keep it, but as I said, I think the wolrd has moved beyond usenet discussions.

Not for the people who don't have the time to login to countless
forums just to check for updates. Usenet is still the best format for
discussions.

Steve

Old 13-03-2013, 06:00 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Gojira" wrote in message

I'll happily moderate as long as the group decides to keep it, but as I
said, I think the wolrd has moved beyond usenet discussions.

Gareee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I agree. This is sad, but true.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 13-03-2013, 03:45 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On 3/10/2013 12:53 PM, Gojira wrote:
[...]

I'm an old curmedgeon but a new pond owner ) I use newsgroups, and
have for 20 years. If I take a break from house work (or boredom), I
check my limited selection of newsgroups. The can be vastly useful,
entertaining, maddening, informative. IMO, Facebook is vastly overrated
and rather creepy. So....if the newsgroup is laden with spam or trolls,
once can easily mentally filter them out and get to the useful messages.
I hate to give in to people with nothing better to do than to mess
with positive and useful tools.

I don't want Facebook to become the only means of communication for
family and friends, but it looks like that is where we are headed...I
like to hear the voices of family and friends.

I like the idea of more conversations on Usenet; it would be very
helpful to a newbie such as me. Thanks to those who keep it going )

Old 18-03-2013, 02:43 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I'm an old curmedgeon but a new pond owner ) I use newsgroups, and
have for 20 years. If I take a break from house work (or boredom), I
check my limited selection of newsgroups. The can be vastly useful,
entertaining, maddening, informative. IMO, Facebook is vastly overrated
and rather creepy. So....if the newsgroup is laden with spam or trolls,
once can easily mentally filter them out and get to the useful messages.
I hate to give in to people with nothing better to do than to mess
with positive and useful tools.

I don't want Facebook to become the only means of communication for
family and friends, but it looks like that is where we are headed...I
like to hear the voices of family and friends.

I like the idea of more conversations on Usenet; it would be very
helpful to a newbie such as me. Thanks to those who keep it going )

I'd like a rec.ponds facebook page. Wish someone smarter than me would set
it up. Seems the UK has gone there, and I'd be more than happy to do RPM
newsgroups and a facebook page. Anything that reminds me to check in is
usually what I need. Might be good advertising for RPM for that matter.
Plus we could post pics.

How many here also have a fb page? ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: