Where can I buy Watercress Plants (not seeds)

Old 21-08-2005, 01:07 AM
Ann505

Default Where can I buy Watercress Plants (not seeds)

Hi guys, well I finally got my pond up and running. I put some cheap
goldfish in there and they seem to be fine. So thanks to the group for
answering my Q's. Now I'm having a big problem finding Watercress for
my filter. I think it would be the perfect plant as it likes partial
shade and moving water. I've looked at the local grocery stores and on
a few on-line sites with no luck. So does anyone have any they'd be
willing to sell, or know an online site that might have it? It's the
simple things that always stump me. LOL. Thanks for any help, Ouida

Old 21-08-2005, 01:28 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On 20 Aug 2005 17:07:16 -0700, "Ann505" wrote:

Hi guys, well I finally got my pond up and running. I put some cheap
goldfish in there and they seem to be fine. So thanks to the group for
answering my Q's. Now I'm having a big problem finding Watercress for
my filter. I think it would be the perfect plant as it likes partial
shade and moving water. I've looked at the local grocery stores and on
a few on-line sites with no luck. So does anyone have any they'd be
willing to sell, or know an online site that might have it? It's the
simple things that always stump me. LOL. Thanks for any help, Ouida

Talk to the produce guy at your grocer's, they can often get stuff when
asked, though you may have to buy a box of it, which will run $10-15, or
the price of 1 nice pond plant.

Contrary to what we think of running water, it does great in our ponds
because we are always recirculating. I have it growing in the blocks around
my lily pond. Here I was trying to get terrestrial plants to grow in the
holes and the water cress is out shining all of those. So next year I'll be
planting lots of it instead. Much, much cheaper! ~ jan.

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 21-08-2005, 03:05 AM
Ron in Radio Heaven

I bought a small bunch of it at the grocer back in the
fall, it's going crazy in my veggie filter.
It's hanging down the side and growing like mad.

Ron
Old 21-08-2005, 04:32 PM
Ann505

Ok I found out that wal-mart does carry it but the produce guy said
that they hardly get any in, and that it goes quick. He said he
couldn't order any as they just get trucks every morning, and they have
no idea what's on them. So he said just to check back before 8am. I'm
just glad I found someone that sells it, so now I just have to wait. So
I think this is a cold season plant, at least for louisiana, right???
Just hoping I'll have time to root it before winter

Old 21-08-2005, 04:56 PM
kathy

I live in zone 7, SE WA state. Our summers are 90 to
100 and the watercress in my waterfall has exploded!

But it will also live over the winter, encased in ice, and
be the first thing that starts going in the spring.

kathy :-) www.blogfromthebog.com
this week's entry - water striders!
Pond 101 page for new pond keepers ~

Old 21-08-2005, 04:57 PM
Ron in Radio Heaven

Ann505 wrote:
I think this is a cold season plant, at least for louisiana, right???
Just hoping I'll have time to root it before winter

I've heard "cold season" too, but it was 95 here yesterday,
the pond water is 81 and my water crest is growing
like mad.
As far a other pond plants go, based on what Home Depot
charges for them, I've pulled about $1k worth of plants
out of the pond the morning, and there's at least that
much more to do.
It got so bad my wife kept asking if we still had any fish...
The plants made a solid cover on the pond except where
the feeding ring is located.

Happy ponding.

Ron in NC

Old 21-08-2005, 06:07 PM
Gareee©

"Ron in Radio Heaven" wrote in message
om...
I've heard "cold season" too, but it was 95 here yesterday,
the pond water is 81 and my water crest is growing
like mad.
As far a other pond plants go, based on what Home Depot
charges for them, I've pulled about $1k worth of plants
out of the pond the morning, and there's at least that
much more to do.
It got so bad my wife kept asking if we still had any fish...
The plants made a solid cover on the pond except where
the feeding ring is located.

Hey Ron.. where abouts are you? Waynesville here. if you are close, I'd take
a whole lot of plants off your hands. I'm back to greenwater, and just can't
really find any local places with pond plants at all anymore this year.

I had bought $15 worth of watercress, and you'd THINK that would be a lot,
but the fish decided they really liked to eat it rather then use if for
shade, and they literally ate is ALL up within 3 month's time!

Right now I have waterlettuce, which is growing, but just not fast enough, a
few iris, and 2 lilies doing well. Still, I only have about 1/6 of my
surface covered, and I probably need to double or triple that surface
coverage to make up for the amount of sun the pond's getting.

Muffin's supposed to send me some WL this week, and maybe that will help.

Oh! and the fish spawn are doing great! I'd say we went from 5 large
goldfish this year (slightly larger then palm sized) to adding another 10-12
fish!

Not sure what I'll do 2-3 years from now, when I have too many though....

--
Gareee©
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 21-08-2005, 06:19 PM
Ron in Radio Heaven

Gareee© wrote:
Hey Ron.. where abouts are you? Waynesville here. if you are close, I'd take
a whole lot of plants off your hands. I'm back to greenwater, and just can't
really find any local places with pond plants at all anymore this year.

I'm SE of Charlotte near Monroe.
I wish I had a way to get these plants to you
before they die. I've got a plastic crate mounded up
with plants, mostly lettus and something that grows
under water with long green bushy tendreils.

The biggest porblem is that this late in the season
all these plants are going to die as soon as the temp.
drops below 50 degrees or so.

I sure wish I had a green house so I could get them to
over winter.

Ron
Old 21-08-2005, 06:29 PM
Gareee©

I'm SE of Charlotte near Monroe.
I wish I had a way to get these plants to you
before they die. I've got a plastic crate mounded up
with plants, mostly lettus and something that grows
under water with long green bushy tendreils.

The biggest porblem is that this late in the season
all these plants are going to die as soon as the temp.
drops below 50 degrees or so.

I sure wish I had a green house so I could get them to
over winter.

Aw.. just a tad too far away (with the gas prices) to make it worth a trip.

I'm going to try to overwinter some of the lettuce in a large indoor
fountain This winter. I red here earlier today that watercress will winter
ok, and come back in spring. Maybe try some of that? (it's not too late in
the season for you to get a bunch growing, but my fish ate it all up like it
was a delicacy. (I thought it tasted BAD)

Old 21-08-2005, 06:56 PM
kathy

Ron,

Here in zone 7, SE WA, my watercress
winters over in the pond just fine. It even
gets frozen in ice where it spills over the
waterfall into the pond and survives just
fine, coming back first before any other
plants in the pond.

kathy :-) www.blogfromthebog.com
this week's entry - aquatic snails
Pond 101 page for new pond keepers ~

Plants and Seeds from abroad Mike United Kingdom 15 20-04-2005 01:32 PM
bamboo:small plants or seeds lantzmich United Kingdom 0 23-11-2004 09:38 PM
Plants By Mail FAQ Joseph Robinson Gardening 0 29-08-2004 05:29 AM
Cheap Seeds and tomato plants Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
Culinary herbFAQ part 2/7 Henriette Kress Edible Gardening 0 28-02-2003 06:27 PM