Old 05-11-2005, 05:09 PM
Bill Stock

Default Stock Tank plumbing

I managed to find a local spot to buy Stock Tanks, so the next question is
plumbing.

I understand that the Rubbermaid tanks have a 1 1/4" drain plug, so my
options a

1) Running a 3/4" hose to the filter with the appropriate adapters. But how
to safely return the filter output to the tank?

2) Returning the water through the drain plug, with the pump pushing the
water over the edge of the tank. But would the back pressure be too much
for the pump or filter seal?

3) Sucking the water back into the tank through the drain/filter.

I like option 3, but I understand that most pumps push better than they
suck? But wouldn't the water pressure through the filter alleviate this
problem.

Old 05-11-2005, 05:47 PM
Pat

I have 5 Rubbermaid tanks as part of my set up. Water trickles into the top
of each one and leaves through the drain. Muck would build up on the
bottoms and plug the drains so I added a elbow and 8 inches of pipe to the
inside of the drains. That way the water that leaves comes from the center
of the tank height rather than the bottom. I don't use a pump. My tanks
are stair stepped down a hillside. The water that comes from the bottom of
one tank trickles into the top of the next. I poured thin concrete slabs
for each tank to sit on. I found that the tanks would crack sitting on
dirt. Part of the tank would settle unevenly and a crack would form near
the top. Concrete slabs fixed the problems. My tanks are my filters
however they function as ponds too.

Old 05-11-2005, 06:03 PM
Bill Stock

"Pat" wrote in message
I have 5 Rubbermaid tanks as part of my set up. Water trickles into the
top of each one and leaves through the drain. Muck would build up on the
bottoms and plug the drains so I added a elbow and 8 inches of pipe to the
inside of the drains. That way the water that leaves comes from the center
of the tank height rather than the bottom. I don't use a pump. My tanks
are stair stepped down a hillside. The water that comes from the bottom of
one tank trickles into the top of the next. I poured thin concrete slabs
for each tank to sit on. I found that the tanks would crack sitting on
dirt. Part of the tank would settle unevenly and a crack would form near
the top. Concrete slabs fixed the problems. My tanks are my filters
however they function as ponds too.

Thanks Pat,

I did not realize that the drain plug was that close to the bottom of the
tank. I don't expect too much muck in my location, but an elbow may be a
good idea in the event of a hose leak. I won't drain the entire tank that
way. My tank will be going in a basement hallway near the floor drain. I'm
hoping the floor is flat enough, but it does slope towards the drain, so I
better check.

It looks like having the pump suck the water back into the pond may be my
best option. Would I be able to thread a pipe through the drain plug, so
that I could put an elbow on the inside and a reducer on the outside?

Old 05-11-2005, 11:59 PM
Pat

I used normal threaded pipe on the outside which needs to work well and not
leak. On the inside I used pvc pipe and filed the threads to a taper. I
then jammed this into the hole. Doesn't work all that well because
sometimes they get knocked loose by raccoons.

Old 09-11-2005, 05:43 AM
Registered User

It looks like having the pump suck the water back into the pond be my
best option. Would I be able to thread a pipe through the drain plug, so
that I could put an elbow on the inside and a reducer on the outside?[/quote]

What type of filter are you building here? As for the PVC- you can use Uniseals to connect your pipes to the tank. Here is a link- but might want a different supplier as I believe there is a high cost to ship to Canada.

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/.../8600/cid/2009

Old 09-11-2005, 04:17 PM
Bill Stock

http://tinyurl.com/dtuv2

--
Koitoy

Thanks KT,

Not a filter, but a winter home for the GF and plants. My pond is a bit too
shallow, so I covered it last year. I'm planning on bringing them in this
year with some Water Hyacinths.

I plan on using the filter from the pond on my new indoor pond. It's looking
like I'll just run the tubing over the edge of the tank (delivered now) and
elevate the filter to lessen the chance of leaks. I'm not to sure how to
handle aeration or water return yet though. I was thinking of using the
pump/fountain from the pond and removing the spay head to give me a gentle
bubbling. I don't think this will shoot out if the fish tip it over.
Then I'll have to secure the water return pipe somehow.

Old 19-10-2011, 11:09 PM
Registered User

The baptize that comes from the basal of one catchbasin trickles into the top of the next. I caked attenuate accurate slabs for anniversary catchbasin to sit on. I begin that the tanks would able sitting on dirt. Part of the catchbasin would achieve anyhow and a able would anatomy near the top. Accurate slabs anchored the problems. My tanks are my filters however they action as ponds too.

Rubbermaid stock tank drain plug size? Oingofan Ponds 8 06-11-2004 11:04 PM
Free 100 gallon rubbermaid stock tank Ottawa,Ontario Canada Roger Ponds 3 28-06-2004 06:51 PM
stock tank Jan Ponds 3 21-04-2003 12:22 AM
4" Bulkhead into 150 gallon stock tank? Oingofan Ponds 8 31-01-2003 07:51 PM
4" Bulkhead into 150 gallon stock tank? Tom La Bron Ponds 1 29-01-2003 05:22 PM