Old 18-12-2005, 06:41 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ jan jjspond

Default Pl*cos and tank cleaning

As reported here, pl*cos can be bad in tanks with goldfish. Because they
are nocturnal they cause the goldfish stress at night, and once they've
cleaned the sides of a tank they may decide goldfish slime coat taste
yummy.

For the last year or so I've been scrubbing glass to protect my goldfish
for this reason. Lately time has been scrunched because of working and the
holiday season.... and I just lost a big moor that got caught on the filter
intake because the glass was so algae covered no one noticed till too late.

Enter Mr. Lonely Pl*co, in the cleanest tank in the house. I net him and
put him in the 20 gallon. 3 days later spotless. Net him again, put him in
the 15 gallon, spotless in 3 days. Goldfish no worst the wear for a few
nights of restless sleep. Now he's in the 55 gallon, this could take him
awhile.

So much easier than scrubbing, and I think he does a better job. Hopefully
this is a win-win situation. ~ jan

-----------------
Old 18-12-2005, 07:46 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

"~ jan jjspond" wrote in message
Lately time has been scrunched because of working and the
holiday season.... and I just lost a big moor that got caught on the filter
intake because the glass was so algae covered no one noticed till too late.
=======================
Get a sponge for an Aquaclear and cut an X hole part way through one end.
Pull it over your filter intake and you'll never lose another fish that way.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old 18-12-2005, 09:44 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek

~ jan jjspond wrote:

Enter Mr. Lonely Pl*co, in the cleanest tank in the house. I net him and
put him in the 20 gallon. 3 days later spotless. Net him again, put him in
the 15 gallon, spotless in 3 days. Goldfish no worst the wear for a few
nights of restless sleep. Now he's in the 55 gallon, this could take him
awhile.

It sound's like you have the netting under control, but it can be pretty
stressful for plecos, which tend to get their spines caught in the netting.
I've always found it easier to entice or chase them into the lower half of
a large plastic pop bottle.
--
derek
Old 19-12-2005, 02:21 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ jan jjspond

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 16:44:02 -0400, Derek wrote:

It sound's like you have the netting under control, but it can be pretty
stressful for plecos, which tend to get their spines caught in the netting.
I've always found it easier to entice or chase them into the lower half of
a large plastic pop bottle.

When it comes to smart fish, I think these guys must be right up
there. This time when I caught him it was like he knew the drill and
settle right into the net. No squirming as I carried him to the tank
downstairs. ) ~ jan
~ jan/WA
Zone 7a

Old 21-12-2005, 11:14 PM posted to rec.ponds
dt

kc wrote:

Jan. what in the heck is a pl*cos?
Kirsten

Pleco, or plecostomus. See
http://www.fishpondinfo.com/pleco.htm

The theory is that if you say its name, yours will
die. I can say it, since I don't have any. YMMV.

DT
(Hope I didn't jinx anybody else's pl*cos by proxy!)

http://www.thehungersite.com/
Old 22-12-2005, 04:36 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ jan jjspond

Pleco, or plecostomus. See
http://www.fishpondinfo.com/pleco.htm

The theory is that if you say its name, yours will
die. I can say it, since I don't have any. YMMV.

DT
(Hope I didn't jinx anybody else's pl*cos by proxy!)

Mine has since cleaned the 55. I can't believe how much algae one of these
guys can eat. Tomorrow he goes back to his own tank till it grows back and
the rotation starts again. ) ~ jan

~ jan/WA
Zone 7a