Old 08-04-2003, 03:09 PM
Keith and Wendy Slonecker

Default shortcut on dividing hardy lilies?

Greetings all:

I have a quick question to see if I can shortcut the tast of dividing my
hardy lilies. I have a 3000 gallon pond with koi. my 9 lilies have been in
their pots for 3 years now. several have long "pineapple" like growths that
have split out the top edge of the pots, however, the area where the gravel
is has a nice 4 small plants coming up already, nicely spaced.
I had shoulder surgery 8 weeks ago and cannot lift or fiddle around with the
pots this year so I got to wondering if I could just take a knife and cut
off that pineapple thing and then insert a fertilzer tab or two into the
soil and then re-pot the left over piece in some kitty litter or something
like that in another pot? Seems like an awful lot of engery for the plant to
sustain that big ugly pineapple when there are 4 nice little baby plants
with leaves already starting out that are IN the pot, not hanging outside.

Anybody ever try this?

thanks,
Wendy in Oregon
PS: our water temp here is still hovering at 48-52 degrees.

Old 11-04-2003, 06:08 PM
~ jan

Wendy,

You can definitely do that! ~ jan

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 06:54:20 -0700, "Keith and Wendy Slonecker"
wrote:

[...]

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 19-04-2003, 03:20 AM
adavisus

yup, no problem there, lopping off rambling rhisomes coming off the
plant pot, leaving behind well formed little un's to further develop.
I'd think twice about using kitty litter in the next pot, though.

While kitty litter is just plain old clay, I'd suspect half kitty
litter, and half a heavy ordinary garden soil well mixed might be a
better bet for starting a water lily, clay is often just 'too soft'
for a new water lily to get a grip on, though thats only a personal
observation

regards andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html
(andys aquatic plant list for interesting swaps

Dividing Lilies ~ janj Ponds 1 28-05-2006 10:48 PM
starting hardy water lilies inside Roop Ponds 14 28-02-2005 05:00 PM
When to sink hardy lilies John Bachman Ponds 6 21-10-2003 07:13 AM
Hardy lilies - when will they flower John Bachman Ponds 6 22-07-2003 04:11 AM
Hardy Water Lily Re-Planting .... Dividing and repotting water lilies..... adavisus Ponds 1 15-06-2003 05:56 PM