Old 09-06-2006, 07:38 AM posted to rec.ponds
~Roy

Default Goldfish and Duckweed - two kinds

"Roy" Hauer aka Koi-Lo wrote in message

Well flattery will not get you anywhere with me boy you still are a
dickhead. See you should have spent more time studying instead of
playing with yourself. Has anyone ever told you that you look like a
Dick with ears? Well if not, you do!

Well I am of the belief that your still a ****ing asshole.

"Koi-Lo" Reply to NG Only wrote in message
*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I presume there is still some expertise here in spite of the garbage so
I would like to expand on the duckweed thing.

If it were not that several people here and elsewhere have said
goldfish eat duckweed, I would have written it off as nonsense.

There are TWO kinds of common duckweed. The smooth leafed one is readily
eaten by both goldfish and koi. The frilly leafed one is not.

I bought 16 feeders yesterday and have spent a good deal of time
studying their behavior and conclude that I have indeed been snookered.

On the rare occasion that one came to the surface, it simply looked
around and sounded again.

It is hard to believe that 1600 or even 16,000 would have the slightest
impact on the duckweed populaton.

Which duckweed do you have? Frilly edged or smooth?

Does anyone have any experience in this regard with a real (natural)
pond?

Thanks,

--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 09-06-2006, 07:38 AM posted to rec.ponds
~Roy

"Jack Schmidling" wrote in message
Koi-Lo wrote:

Which duckweed do you have? Frilly edged or smooth?

It is commonly known as Great Duckweed, Spirodela polyrhiza

According to your description, it should be readliy eaten by the gold

fish
but is totally ignored.

===============================
Both my GF and koi, fed twice a day, will eat every speck I toss to them

in
minutes. They will not touch the frilly stuff. I grow duckweed in tubs
outside the ponds or they'd eat it all. Even the indoor fancy GF eat it

in
minutes.

How can you know they're not eating it when your pond is so huge? They

come
up under it and take a mouthful at a time. They would have to be right
where you're standing to see this, so don't get discouraged. You wont see
much of a difference with only 16 average size GF in your large pond. If
you can afford them, get a few half grown koi. They'll make a difference

lot faster. :-)
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 09-06-2006, 07:39 AM posted to rec.ponds
~Roy

Default Goldfish and Duckweed

"Roy" Hauer aka Koi-Lo wrote in message

Well flattery will not get you anywhere with me boy you still are a
dickhead. See you should have spent more time studying instead of
playing with yourself. Has anyone ever told you that you look like a
Dick with ears? Well if not, you do!

Well I am of the belief that your still a ****ing asshole.

"Snooze" wrote in message
. com...
wrote in message
oups.com...
If it were not that several people here and elsewhere have said
goldfish eat duckweed, I would have written it off as nonsense.

I bought 16 feeders yesterday and have spent a good deal of time
studying their behavior and conclude that I have indeed been snookered.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're not bothering with the duckweed yet.
Despite common belief that goldfish are herbivores, the truth is they

prefer
protein from aquatic insects over grazing on algae and duckweed. Since you
just introduced fish to the pond, I wouldn't be surprised if it's stocked
with all kinds of far more preferable things to eat.

-S

Old 09-06-2006, 08:02 AM posted to rec.ponds
Roy

wrote in message
oups.com...
I presume there is still some expertise here in spite of the garbage so
I would like to expand on the duckweed thing.

If it were not that several people here and elsewhere have said
goldfish eat duckweed, I would have written it off as nonsense.

I bought 16 feeders yesterday and have spent a good deal of time
studying their behavior and conclude that I have indeed been snookered.

On the rare occasion that one came to the surface, it simply looked
around and sounded again.

It is hard to believe that 1600 or even 16,000 would have the slightest
impact on the duckweed populaton.

Does anyone have any experience in this regard with a real (natural)
pond?

Thanks,

js

Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver
http://schmidling.com

Old 09-06-2006, 08:13 AM posted to rec.ponds
Roy

"Roy" Hauer aka Koi-Lo wrote in message

You dumb ass your like a broken record or an answering machine,. Your
just about usjing word for word what has already been posted..wake up
and smell the roses instead of your armpits jerk!

Old 09-06-2006, 05:29 PM posted to rec.ponds
Roy

Maybe in a crontolled co untry like Canada and a controlling state
like CAlifornia, things like this may be illegal , but its certianly
not the case all around the usa by any means.........a natural pond is
allowed fish or whatever speices you want to put in it in my area, as
long as approved guards . barriers are inplace. I love it when folks
do not know the ****ing answer and have tp imediately point out legakl
issues, when legal issues was not the original quesiton any
how...........typical crap from a bunch of ******s without a clue.

On Fri, 9 Jun 2006 09:31:15 -0500, "Koi-Lo" Reply to NG Only wrote:
*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message

You shouldn't put goldfish into a natural pond. In many places, it is
illegal - for good reason.
--
derek
==========================

Old 09-06-2006, 06:07 PM posted to rec.ponds
Galen Hekhuis

On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 15:29:20 GMT, (Roy) wrote:

Maybe in a crontolled co untry like Canada and a controlling state
like CAlifornia, things like this may be illegal , but its certianly
not the case all around the usa by any means.........a natural pond is
allowed fish or whatever speices you want to put in it in my area, as
long as approved guards . barriers are inplace. I love it when folks
do not know the ****ing answer and have tp imediately point out legakl
issues, when legal issues was not the original quesiton any
how...........typical crap from a bunch of ******s without a clue.

Uh, sort of. As far as private waters are concerned, Roy may indeed be
correct. However, as far as public waters go in Alabama, the statement is
quite wrong.

"It shall be unlawful to intentionally stock or release any fish, mussel,
snail, crayfish or their embryos including bait fish into the public waters
of Alabama under the jurisdiction of the Division of Wildlife and
Freshwater Fisheries as provided in Rule 220-2-.42 except those waters from
which it came without the written permission of a designated employee of
the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources authorized by the
Director of the Division of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries to issue such
permit. The provisions of this rule shall not apply to the incidental
release of bait into the water during the normal process of fishing.
http://www.outdooralabama.com/Fishin...-stockings.cfm

Where it is a bit unclear (to me, at least) is the case where private
waters (ponds, springs, creeks and the like) flow into public waters or are
in the drainage basins of public waters.

Legal issues may not have been in the original post, however, they should
never be ignored.

Galen Hekhuis NpD, JFR, GWA
Hell hath no fury like a bird in the hand.

Old 09-06-2006, 06:19 PM posted to rec.ponds
Roy

Private waters asshole, and allprivate waters are those that are not
able to flow into naturally occuring streams and rivers.......UNLESS a
proper baricade is installed.............look it up, its there, it
even covers flood plains where one body of water does not connect to
another unless a flood occurs.........If it was illegal as yu say,
then thoe folks raising lkoi and goldk fishin the Pea river area would
be out fo business, as they utilized waters from the pea ribver for
their fish farms............and koi and gf are not native of
Alabama......
Same thing for the Tilapia farmers, off Pintlala creek, and the
ALABAMA river...those fish sure are not native either.....Private
constructed ponds on your own property yoou can put what you want in
them, and a dug pond with a dirt/clay bottom is still classed as a
natural pond here......so donpt say its against the l aw untilyou know
what the **** yur talking about. Besides perhaps you need to worry
about your area and not alabama since you do not live here anyhow....

Old 09-06-2006, 06:55 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

Galen Hekhuis wrote:

On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 15:29:20 GMT, (Roy) wrote:

Maybe in a crontolled co untry like Canada and a controlling state
like CAlifornia, things like this may be illegal , but its certianly
not the case all around the usa by any means.........a natural pond is
allowed fish or whatever speices you want to put in it in my area, as
long as approved guards . barriers are inplace. I love it when folks
do not know the ****ing answer and have tp imediately point out legakl
issues, when legal issues was not the original quesiton any
how...........typical crap from a bunch of ******s without a clue.

Uh, sort of. As far as private waters are concerned, Roy may indeed be
correct. However, as far as public waters go in Alabama, the statement is
quite wrong.

It's "quite wrong" in public and private waters of _most_ states and
provinces. Roy, as usual, is the one who doesn't know what he's talking
about. It may in fact be legal for him to introduce goldfish into private
waters - but then I said "in many places".
--
derek
Old 09-06-2006, 07:13 PM posted to rec.ponds
Galen Hekhuis

On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 16:19:12 GMT, (Roy) wrote:

[...]

Like I said, you may be entirely correct regarding private waters. But it
is illegal in public waters "... without the written permission of a
designated employee of the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources
authorized by the Director of the Division of Wildlife and Freshwater
Fisheries to issue such permit." I would imagine the examples you present
are also examples where a permit might be issued.

Alabama is sort of "my area." Granted, I don't live there, but I was up in
Huntsville last summer. The National Speleological Society held its
convention in Huntsville last year. They also held their convention in
Birmingham and Huntsville in 1967, and, while I did not attend that one, I
was in Huntsville that year too. Alabama is one of the TAG (Tennessee,
Alabama, Georgia) states that is home to some of the deepest caves in the
US. In 1967 Alabama was home to the deepest drop (Surprise Pit, 425') that
we knew of in the US. (It has since been replaced by Ellison's, in
Georgia.) I was born in Mississippi (you know, that state right next to
you that shoved your state out of first place to lead the nation in
illiteracy) and often crossed Alabama to visit friends and relatives.
Seems like for the past forty years I've been either traveling through or
to Alabama at a minimum of at least once a year, often quite a bit more.
Besides, most of the water in SE Alabama winds up flowing into Florida on
its way to the Gulf. I (and some others) tend to care a little about what
you all throw into your water.

Old 09-06-2006, 08:00 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

So if a permit is granted then don;t say its not allowedss....See its
still a ****ing non native speices in public waters.....Yea, we can
tell Mississippi is the head state with most inbred asshoes like
Galen........and yur claim to Alabama is far from being bona fide, yur
just a ****ing carpet bagger passing bye.....without a clue.

Old 09-06-2006, 08:04 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Thankfully Alabama or most of the uSA is not even closely in tune with
what Canada considers correct.......wrong is not the issue now is it
Dereck..Its wrong to **** on the neighbors grass, but its still done,
and its wrong to spint on public pavements but its still done, yet
nothing is ever done about it either......I kjnow what I am talking
about that concerns Alabama and how things are done here. I could give
a rats ass about how they do it in canada, in Florida or up uynder the
freaking queen mums skirt.......It matters not to me......but your
worng about what can and can';t be done in Alabama
About like your stance with advice given to Carol
Gulley...............****ing dumbass