Old 09-06-2006, 01:56 AM posted to rec.ponds

Default Goldfish and Duckweed

I presume there is still some expertise here in spite of the garbage so
I would like to expand on the duckweed thing.

If it were not that several people here and elsewhere have said
goldfish eat duckweed, I would have written it off as nonsense.

I bought 16 feeders yesterday and have spent a good deal of time
studying their behavior and conclude that I have indeed been snookered.

On the rare occasion that one came to the surface, it simply looked
around and sounded again.

It is hard to believe that 1600 or even 16,000 would have the slightest
impact on the duckweed populaton.

Does anyone have any experience in this regard with a real (natural)
pond?

Thanks,

js

Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver
http://schmidling.com

Old 09-06-2006, 02:18 AM posted to rec.ponds
Galen Hekhuis

On 8 Jun 2006 16:56:48 -0700, wrote:

I presume there is still some expertise here in spite of the garbage so
I would like to expand on the duckweed thing.

If it were not that several people here and elsewhere have said
goldfish eat duckweed, I would have written it off as nonsense.

I bought 16 feeders yesterday and have spent a good deal of time
studying their behavior and conclude that I have indeed been snookered.

On the rare occasion that one came to the surface, it simply looked
around and sounded again.

It is hard to believe that 1600 or even 16,000 would have the slightest
impact on the duckweed populaton.

Does anyone have any experience in this regard with a real (natural)
pond?

Thanks,

I haven't had any experience yet, but I'm likely to in short order. There
are three ponds on the property here, and two of them are pretty much
covered with duckweed. My rear pond didn't have any last year (I have
pictures) but got covered this year. The front pond has been pretty much
covered with it for the past two years (and maybe before that, but I wasn't
here). The rear pond got about one third clear in April, but it has been
covered up again. The middle pond I pumped out and had bulldozed (it was
filled with trash) so I have about a 50 foot diameter unlined pond to start
with fresh. I guess some ducks (it is called duckweed) must have tracked
it in because I have some growing in the middle pond, but it hasn't become
a problem...yet. I suppose I'll try the carp if it does, and if that
doesn't work I'm not sure what I'll do. I have heard that Sonic(tm) will
kill the duckweed (and other floating plants) but leaves the fish, critters
and other plants alone. Grass carp (non-reproducing) are supposed to be
control fish, if one goes that route.

Galen Hekhuis NpD, JFR, GWA

Hell hath no fury like a bird in the hand.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:22 AM posted to rec.ponds
G Pearce

If the duckweed is of the smooth, shiny, flat variety, then yes, the gold
fish/koi will devour it - if it has ruffled, raised edges, they won't - when
I toss the the first variety into my pond, it is gone in a day - your
goldfish might be eating it and you don't realize it as I looked at your
photos and it is quite large with a LOT of duckweed - in answer to your
other question, no, I don't have a natural pond, mine is lined with EPDM,
but that shouldn't make a difference, IMO
Gale :~)

Old 09-06-2006, 02:24 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Goldfish and Duckweed - two kinds

*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I presume there is still some expertise here in spite of the garbage so
I would like to expand on the duckweed thing.

If it were not that several people here and elsewhere have said
goldfish eat duckweed, I would have written it off as nonsense.

There are TWO kinds of common duckweed. The smooth leafed one is readily
eaten by both goldfish and koi. The frilly leafed one is not.

I bought 16 feeders yesterday and have spent a good deal of time
studying their behavior and conclude that I have indeed been snookered.

On the rare occasion that one came to the surface, it simply looked
around and sounded again.

It is hard to believe that 1600 or even 16,000 would have the slightest
impact on the duckweed populaton.

Which duckweed do you have? Frilly edged or smooth?

--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 09-06-2006, 02:44 AM posted to rec.ponds
Roy

IIRC there is 2 types of duckweed. I have both koi and GF and none of
mine even touched it unless I do not feed them for a few
weeks.....and even then I doubt they realy bothered with it. .

I certainly would not put any in my ponds for a free or cheap means to
feed fish as it can get out of hand in some situaitons........Best
feed other veggies etc if your intent on additiional feeding
supplements, with things that are not gonna be invasive or take over
yur pond.

Old 09-06-2006, 02:48 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

well what do yu expect for a stagnant mudhole you call a pond and
living where yu do and habving such an invasive speices as such in it.
Go ahead Galen listen to CArol Gulley and her sock puppets, who have
no experieince with natural ponds at all but lead you and others down
the blind winding road. You deserve all the algae and duckweed
infestations that happens too you. There is just certain thngs yu can
do in a liner type pond that is not good to do in a natural pond and
there is thngs that neds to be done in a natural pond that does not
apply to a liner pond.

Oh and so much for your so called water table that never fluctuates,
huh, is it ankle deep yet! You were told now suffer jerk!

Old 09-06-2006, 03:55 AM posted to rec.ponds
Galen Hekhuis

On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 00:48:47 GMT, (Koi-Lo) wrote:

well what do yu expect for a stagnant mudhole you call a pond and
living where yu do and habving such an invasive speices as such in it.
Go ahead Galen listen to CArol Gulley and her sock puppets, who have
no experieince with natural ponds at all but lead you and others down
the blind winding road. You deserve all the algae and duckweed
infestations that happens too you. There is just certain thngs yu can
do in a liner type pond that is not good to do in a natural pond and
there is thngs that neds to be done in a natural pond that does not
apply to a liner pond.

Oh and so much for your so called water table that never fluctuates,
huh, is it ankle deep yet! You were told now suffer jerk!

I didn't say my water table doesn't fluctuate (they all fluctuate), I said
that if you dig a hole and it fills up with water, your hole is below the
local water table. If you have to fill it with water, your hole is above
the local water table. My hole (pond) fills up with water without any
rain, just through the ground. And no, the water in the pond is not ankle
deep, we haven't had any rain to speak of the past three months, and there
is a lot less water in the pond, but it is hardly ankle deep. Unless your
ankles are a good three feet or more off the ground.

Oh, and I read and listen to lots of stuff, even you. Listening to you is
one of the reasons I have an aerator in the pond, and discarded ideas about
running a filter and stuff. But I thought I so disgusted you that you put
me in your killfile, or is that only when you are Roy?

Old 09-06-2006, 04:24 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

You dumb ass your like a broken record or an answering machine,. Your
just about usjing word for word what has already been posted..wake up
and smell the roses instead of your armpits jerk!

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006 19:24:55 -0500, "Koi-Lo" Reply to NG Only wrote:
*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

legroups.com...

Old 09-06-2006, 06:29 AM posted to rec.ponds
Jack Schmidling

Koi-Lo wrote:

Which duckweed do you have? Frilly edged or smooth?

It is commonly known as Great Duckweed, Spirodela polyrhiza

According to your description, it should be readliy eaten by the gold
fish but is totally ignored.

js

Old 09-06-2006, 06:34 AM posted to rec.ponds
Jack Schmidling

G Pearce wrote:

I don't have a natural pond, mine is lined with EPDM,
but that shouldn't make a difference, IMO

I would think that there would be a vastly larger range of natural food
in a 15 year old natural pond than in a lined one. Perhaps duckweed is
pretty far down the list of favorite food and is ignored if enough other
stuff is available.

js

Old 09-06-2006, 06:37 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Jack Schmidling" wrote in message
Koi-Lo wrote:

Which duckweed do you have? Frilly edged or smooth?

It is commonly known as Great Duckweed, Spirodela polyrhiza

According to your description, it should be readliy eaten by the gold fish
but is totally ignored.

===============================
Both my GF and koi, fed twice a day, will eat every speck I toss to them in
minutes. They will not touch the frilly stuff. I grow duckweed in tubs
outside the ponds or they'd eat it all. Even the indoor fancy GF eat it in
minutes.

How can you know they're not eating it when your pond is so huge? They come
up under it and take a mouthful at a time. They would have to be right
where you're standing to see this, so don't get discouraged. You wont see
much of a difference with only 16 average size GF in your large pond. If
you can afford them, get a few half grown koi. They'll make a difference a
lot faster. :-)
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 09-06-2006, 07:06 AM posted to rec.ponds
Snooze

wrote in message
oups.com...
If it were not that several people here and elsewhere have said
goldfish eat duckweed, I would have written it off as nonsense.

I bought 16 feeders yesterday and have spent a good deal of time
studying their behavior and conclude that I have indeed been snookered.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're not bothering with the duckweed yet.
Despite common belief that goldfish are herbivores, the truth is they prefer
protein from aquatic insects over grazing on algae and duckweed. Since you
just introduced fish to the pond, I wouldn't be surprised if it's stocked
with all kinds of far more preferable things to eat.

-S

Old 09-06-2006, 07:37 AM posted to rec.ponds
~Roy

"Roy" Hauer aka Koi-Lo wrote in message

Well flattery will not get you anywhere with me boy you still are a
dickhead. See you should have spent more time studying instead of
playing with yourself. Has anyone ever told you that you look like a
Dick with ears? Well if not, you do!

Well I am of the belief that your still a ****ing asshole.