Old 13-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Amy

Default Help! My performed pond is floating!

I created a raised garden in my yard and put a small 80 gallon
preformed pond in it. I packed topsoil all around it as I filled it
with water. This all worked great until I turned the drip system in
the garden on. The pond just floated up out of the hole!! Are there
any suggestions as to how to correct this? Can I put the pond in with
concrete around it? Please help!!
Thanks,
Amy

Old 13-04-2003, 08:08 PM
Johann Snyman

On Stardate : [-29]0128.97
-Sun13Apr03-2103

Michael Ware wrote:

Amy wrote in message
om...
I created a raised garden in my yard and put a small 80 gallon
preformed pond in it. I packed topsoil all around it as I filled it
with water. This all worked great until I turned the drip system in
the garden on. The pond just floated up out of the hole!! Are there
any suggestions as to how to correct this? Can I put the pond in with
concrete around it? Please help!!
Thanks,
Amy

does it have water in it?

I was wondering the same thing, but I notice she said "packed topsoil
as I filled it..."

So I guess so. Funny, it should be heavy enough to stay put if it is
full.

Maybe take out the topsoil and pour concrete in its place?

--

QUIPd 1.02: (110 of 622)
- That boy doesn't know the meaning of the word "fear". In fact,
Old 13-04-2003, 11:20 PM
mad

my suggestion is to take out the preformed pond, dig the hole a bit deeper,
put a perforated pipe in the hole that leads to a place where, if any water
gets under the pond, it will drain out to a lower area, and then add some
gravel to the hole. then put the pond back in the hole and level it. that
should allow for drainage of water under the pond.
mad
--
Of all the things I've ever lost I miss my mind the most.

Old 14-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Amy

Yes.. I said it did: "I packed topsoil all around it as I filled it
with water."

"Michael Ware" wrote in message ...
does it have water in it?

om...

Old 14-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Nedra

Amy, How about if you remove the pond then get the water
out of the hole? Sounds like ground water is floating your
pond out of the hole.
According to Helen Nash's book "The Complete Pond
Builder" the Chapter on Drainage says to put down several
inches of crushed stone then sand should help. Also she
talks about digging a trench (this is what I did to my pond)
about a foot from the pond and putting down 4 inch drainage pipe... cover
with rock and then sod. I do rcommend buying Helen's
book ... what a find it is!

Nedra in Missouri

"jammer" wrote in message
On 13 Apr 2003 11:35:02 -0700, (Amy) wrote:

I created a raised garden in my yard and put a small 80 gallon
preformed pond in it. I packed topsoil all around it as I filled it
with water. This all worked great until I turned the drip system in
the garden on. The pond just floated up out of the hole!! Are there
any suggestions as to how to correct this? Can I put the pond in with
concrete around it? Please help!!
Thanks,
Amy

That's about what i have. I can't imagine it floating with water in
it! I would freak. This may give me a nightmare tonight.

Old 16-04-2003, 11:56 PM
ponder

It floated full of water?
Do you have a pic?
Yes you need drainage,

rthlink.net...

Old 19-04-2003, 06:44 AM
andrew wheeldon

"ponder" wrote in message
It floated full of water?
Do you have a pic?
Yes you need drainage,

rthlink.net...

"jammer" wrote in message
On 13 Apr 2003 11:35:02 -0700, (Amy) wrote:

I created a raised garden in my yard and put a small 80 gallon
preformed pond in it. I packed topsoil all around it as I filled it
with water. This all worked great until I turned the drip system in
the garden on. The pond just floated up out of the hole!! Are there
any suggestions as to how to correct this? Can I put the pond in

with
concrete around it? Please help!!
Thanks,
Amy

That's about what i have. I can't imagine it floating with water in
it! I would freak. This may give me a nightmare tonight.

Another point to bear in mind is if the hole is retaining water so well do
you need a lined.
I know some people who dug a large hole in a damp part of their garden in
order to build a pond, the hole filled up with water it's self and they
still don't have a liner in it.
Andy