Old 21-02-2003, 06:27 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Default aphids

K30a wrote:
I have some aphids come in on a plant I put in son's goldfish tank. I cut the
plant below the water line and the dratted things moved
to the next container, the aquatic frog habitat.
They are chowing down on the underwater plants that have grown to the surface.
I am squishing and froggy is consuming.

k30a

We're glad you have something to keep you busy in
the off season ;-)

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 23-02-2003, 05:39 AM
Fred

Try insecticidal soap - you can buy it at any nursery or home store. Works
great, much less toxic than other insecticides, and effective.

Fred

On 2/21/03 12:47 PM, in article ,
"Wilf & Helen" wrote:

I put my pond plants in large plastic tubs for the winter,They are in a cool
spot in my cold room.in about 4 inches of water with a lid on. I just took
the lids off them to see how they were surviving, They are *totally* covered
in aphids! Especially my Taros. Since it will be another 3 mos. till I can
put them outside in the pond. what do I do with them to get the aphids off
them before they suck all the life out of them..My first thoughts were to
cover them over and wait till I can hose them off outside, another 2-3
months! put them in the laundry tubs and try to get them off that way? any
help would be great.. Thanks Helen

Old 24-02-2003, 02:53 PM
Fred

Oops. Yes, I wasn't thinking long term, just the immediate problem. Sorry.
I don't know, however, how residual the soap is. Can it be washed off before
you put it in the pond? I don't know, but better safe than sorry. Please
ignore my (bad) advice!

Old 24-02-2003, 10:26 PM
Wilf & Helen

I know I am going to have to squish them off with my fingers ,(keep putting
it off) I have gotten so far as to actually thinking about using rubber
gloves , and bribing father to lend a helping hand , a procrastinator i'm
not , no sir,not me! lol

Old 24-02-2003, 10:26 PM
~ jan

Squish them.

Course I found aphids on my cannas in the garage and I used a systemic rose
spray. By the time I get them rinsed & repotted for the next season the
insecticide will be pretty much gone. ~ jan

"Wilf & Helen" wrote:

I put my pond plants in large plastic tubs for the winter,They are in a

cool
spot in my cold room.in about 4 inches of water with a lid on. I just

took
the lids off them to see how they were surviving, They are *totally*

covered
in aphids! Especially my Taros. Since it will be another 3 mos. till I

can
put them outside in the pond. what do I do with them to get the aphids

off
them before they suck all the life out of them..My first thoughts were

cover them over and wait till I can hose them off outside, another 2-3
months! put them in the laundry tubs and try to get them off that way?

any
help would be great.. Thanks Helen

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 24-02-2003, 10:28 PM
~ jan

Actually I find squishing aphids quite satisfying. You'll need to squish
every 3rd day or so, but they're usually eradicated in 2 weeks or less by
doing so. ~ jan

aphids Wilf & Helen Ponds 3 19-11-2003 06:12 AM
Aphids on hibiscus ame-ame Australia 5 24-04-2003 01:56 AM
A-A-A- APHIDS!! And Buds! Shiva Roses 7 07-04-2003 10:44 PM
Aphids Wilf & Helen Ponds 2 26-02-2003 06:51 PM
tiny gnats -flies- aphids David Shalita Edible Gardening 1 31-01-2003 02:14 AM