Old 26-06-2008, 09:12 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default Can anyone help on Cryptosporidium in water

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 20:14:06 +0100, shreked wrote:

Im moving house to Northampton soon and the water supply there has a
outbreak of Cryptosporidium at present and people are being told to
boil water before giving to pets and humans using it.

Does anyone know where I stand as far as using it cos I need to store
fish in a small swimming pool until I get the pond sorted.

Fish are affected by it although it might not be the same strain. A
reverse osmosis unit will produce water free from it and a lot cheaper
than boiling but you won't get a lot of water a day. I saw one recently
(Practical Fishkeeper I think) that cost œ100 and did 100 gallons a
day.

http://www.ro-man.com/shop/index.php?cPath=91 have them.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

Old 26-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Registered User

Thumbs down Can anyone help on Cryptosporidium in water

Im moving house to Northampton soon and the water supply there has a outbreak of Cryptosporidium at present and people are being told to boil water before giving to pets and humans using it.

Does anyone know where I stand as far as using it cos I need to store fish in a small swimming pool until I get the pond sorted.

Thanks
Old 27-06-2008, 05:34 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreked View Post
Im moving house to Northampton soon and the water supply there has a outbreak of Cryptosporidium at present and people are being told to boil water before giving to pets and humans using it.

Does anyone know where I stand as far as using it cos I need to store fish in a small swimming pool until I get the pond sorted.

Thanks

Thanks looks as if I gotta spend out or maybe have a work with my purchaser and see if I can keep them where I live at pres. At least its normal there
Old 27-06-2008, 07:31 AM posted to rec.ponds

"Rodney Pont" wrote in message
news:atcfzvasbuvgflfgrzfygqhx.k33hwg0.pminews@ouse ...
On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 20:14:06 +0100, shreked wrote:

Im moving house to Northampton soon and the water supply there has a
outbreak of Cryptosporidium at present and people are being told to
boil water before giving to pets and humans using it.

Does anyone know where I stand as far as using it cos I need to store
fish in a small swimming pool until I get the pond sorted.

Fish are affected by it although it might not be the same strain. A
reverse osmosis unit will produce water free from it and a lot cheaper
than boiling but you won't get a lot of water a day. I saw one recently
(Practical Fishkeeper I think) that cost o100 and did 100 gallons a
day.

http://www.ro-man.com/shop/index.php?cPath=91 have them.

=======================
Isn't the water demineralized by that process. That would make it useless
for fish unless minerals were re-added.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 27-06-2008, 09:22 AM posted to rec.ponds

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 00:31:31 -0500, Reel McKoi wrote:

Fish are affected by it although it might not be the same strain. A
reverse osmosis unit will produce water free from it and a lot cheaper
than boiling but you won't get a lot of water a day. I saw one recently
(Practical Fishkeeper I think) that cost o100 and did 100 gallons a
day.

http://www.ro-man.com/shop/index.php?cPath=91 have them.

=======================
Isn't the water demineralized by that process. That would make it useless
for fish unless minerals were re-added.

Not useless, I admit not ideal and hopefully not for long but it would
be better than cryptosporidium. They have dangerously high levels of it
in the water supply in Northampton and it could take weeks for it to
get back to normal. Last I heard the water company hadn't even managed
to trace the source of it and once they do they have to deal with it
and then flush all of the pipes. The pond water will pick up minerals
from the atmosphere anyway so I don't think it will be a problem.

Admittedly a couple of lumps of limestone in wouldn't harm :-)

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

Old 27-06-2008, 06:10 PM posted to rec.ponds

there are water filters will remove something the size of crypto. I would suggest
not feeding the fish very much and not changing too much water.
http://www.abundantearth.com/store/u...terfilter.html
Ingrid