Old 29-04-2009, 09:24 AM
Registered User

Location: Milton, Abingdon, Oxon
Angry Sulking Koi - why?

We have recently cleaned out our pond and pulled out some plants as the pond was overrun with iris' and lillies. Before this our koi were swimming about, feeding well and were almost tame, ie: approaching surface and fedding well and sociable. Now however, they have "sunk" to the back of the pond behind a clump of iris. They hardly feed and appear to be sulking/hiding and ... basically doing absolutely nothing!

We are frantic with worry and thought we were making their pond home nicer...!

What is wrong with them.... and more importantly will they recover?

Help.....!
Old 30-04-2009, 11:06 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedster View Post
We have recently cleaned out our pond and pulled out some plants as the pond was overrun with iris' and lillies. Before this our koi were swimming about, feeding well and were almost tame, ie: approaching surface and fedding well and sociable. Now however, they have "sunk" to the back of the pond behind a clump of iris. They hardly feed and appear to be sulking/hiding and ... basically doing absolutely nothing!

We are frantic with worry and thought we were making their pond home nicer...!

What is wrong with them.... and more importantly will they recover?

Help.....!
An unhealthy koi will sulk but more likely they just need a few days to get comfortable with their ´new´ home, they are feeling very looked at since you cleared out their favourite hiding places, they will get used to it though!
Old 30-04-2009, 11:09 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by snail View Post
An unhealthy koi will sulk but more likely they just need a few days to get comfortable with their ´new´ home, they are feeling very looked at since you cleared out their favourite hiding places, they will get used to it though!
You could try providing temporary cover and take it away gradually, that worked for me
Old 02-05-2009, 12:08 PM
Registered User

Location: Milton, Abingdon, Oxon

Quote:
Originally Posted by snail View Post
You could try providing temporary cover and take it away gradually, that worked for me
Thanks for your reply. We will give it a try and see how it works. Will let you know how we get on. Here's hoping....
Old 03-05-2009, 04:35 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default Sulking Koi - why?

in the process of cleaning out your pond you undoubtedly stirred up the bottom muck
and a lot of toxic gasses were probably released which are directly toxic and also
use up oxygen in the pond.

In addition, the plants provide a lot of "cover" to fish from predators and your
removal of the cover has left them feeling exposed. perhaps you have even had a
visit from a raccoon or heron all ready. that is the chief cause of fish
"disappearance" in spring.
INgrid

Old 03-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedster View Post
Thanks for your reply. We will give it a try and see how it works. Will let you know how we get on. Here's hoping....
Hope it works.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Registered User

Location: Milton, Abingdon, Oxon
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by snail View Post
Hope it works.
Hi - Just to update you..... we took your advice and there has been a vast improvement... feeding OK, swimming about and generally looking good. Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Registered User

Location: Milton, Abingdon, Oxon

Thanks for your observations. We have taken some advice and it appears to have worked! Which we are pleased to say.... having said that we totally agree with you that: a) we have probably distubed the muck at the bottom considerably and b) yes, we have also had a heron pilfer but that was weeks ago and they seemed to settle down fairly quickly. Anyway, all appears to be back to "normal" for now. Thanks again for your interest and advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
in the process of cleaning out your pond you undoubtedly stirred up the bottom muck
and a lot of toxic gasses were probably released which are directly toxic and also
use up oxygen in the pond.

In addition, the plants provide a lot of "cover" to fish from predators and your
removal of the cover has left them feeling exposed. perhaps you have even had a
visit from a raccoon or heron all ready. that is the chief cause of fish
"disappearance" in spring.
INgrid

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 09:24:16 +0100, Gedster

Help.....!
Thanks for your
Old 12-05-2009, 08:55 PM posted to rec.ponds

"Gedster" wrote in message

We have recently cleaned out our pond and pulled out some plants as the
pond was overrun with iris' and lillies. Before this our koi were
swimming about, feeding well and were almost tame, ie: approaching
surface and fedding well and sociable. Now however, they have "sunk" to
the back of the pond behind a clump of iris. They hardly feed and appear
to be sulking/hiding and ... basically doing absolutely nothing!

We are frantic with worry and thought we were making their pond home
nicer...!

What is wrong with them.... and more importantly will they recover?

Help.....!

=========================

You took away their feeling of security. You changed what they were used
to.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 13-05-2009, 01:54 AM posted to rec.ponds

On May 7, 10:57*am, Gedster
wrote:
snail;842455 Wrote: Hope it works.

Hi - Just to update you..... we took your advice and there has been a
vast improvement... feeding OK, swimming about and generally looking
good. Thanks for the advice.

--
Gedster

Nice to hear they are happier. More fun, too, I suspect.

Jim

Old 26-03-2011, 11:43 AM
Registered User

We accept afresh bankrupt out our pond and pulled out some plants as the pond was beat with iris' and lillies. Before this our koi were pond about, agriculture able-bodied and were about tame, ie: abutting apparent and fedding able-bodied and sociable. Now however, they accept "sunk" to the aback of the pond abaft a array of iris.
Pond Supplies