Old 03-08-2009, 07:56 PM
Registered User

Unhappy is my pump too powerful

hi first day here, i got a titan 5500 for my pond to replace smaller pump, turned it on and all it does is overflow my filter box (its a small box).do i need to get a bigger box, or make the outlet larger?my pond is 2.5 x1800x1.5 deep please help many thanks i live in southampton
Old 03-08-2009, 10:14 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default is my pump too powerful

On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 19:56:11 +0100, paul batty wrote:

hi first day here, i got a titan 5500 for my pond to replace smaller
pump, turned it on and all it does is overflow my filter box (its a
small box).do i need to get a bigger box, or make the outlet larger?my
pond is 2.5 x1800x1.5 deep please help many thanks i live in
southampton

Hi Paul

I'm guessing it's 5,500l/hr. Assuming the pond is 2.5m x 1.8m x 1.5m
and square that gives 6,750l so the pumps about the right size for it.
What flow is the filter rated at? If a lot smaller than 5,500l/hr even
if you make a bigger outlet it's probably going to flow too quickly to
filter properly so I'd suggest a bigger filter box. I wouldn't bother
with UV unless you have a green water problem and even then I suggest
more frequent water changes and filter cleaning. What size hose do you
have? The larger the better for flow.

That pump uses 185W and there are others that are more efficient - for
future information :-)

There's the FH6000 at 105 watts:
http://www.pumpsandspares.com/blagdon-pumps/FH6000.php

and the HTM6000 at 89 watts:
http://www.pumpsandspares.com/blagdon-pumps/HTM6000.php

for instance. Generally the higher the wattage the higher the head the
pump can produce and that means it will pump more water through thinner
pipes so I'm not saying you have bought the wrong pump nor am I on
commission :-)

While I'm on pipes you tend to get about 40% more flow through solid
waste pipe than you do through even the smoothwalled flexible pipes.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

Powerful Plug Aerator for Hard Packed Soil? John Teller Texas 3 26-02-2004 01:52 PM
Powerful Plug Aerator for Hard Packed Soil? escapee Texas 3 24-02-2004 04:42 PM
How powerful a pump? Han Chung Ponds 2 06-01-2004 07:41 PM
Help! Brown lawn. Too short, Too long, Too much water or Too lois Lawns 0 27-08-2003 03:24 AM