Old 01-06-2011, 08:33 AM
Registered User

Question Using dechlorinator when topping up

When I top my pond up how much dechlorinator should I use. I top up from the tap and our water is chlorinated. Do I use sufficient to de-chlorinate the full pond (it is a fairly small pond), or do I just use sufficient to dechlorinate the amount of water I am adding?
I have had a few problems with my pond recently so plan to take my pond down by a quarter and then top a couple of times over the next month.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:38 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default Using dechlorinator when topping up

"yorkshirespambo" wrote ..

When I top my pond up how much dechlorinator should I use. I top up from
the tap and our water is chlorinated. Do I use sufficient to
de-chlorinate the full pond (it is a fairly small pond), or do I just
use sufficient to dechlorinate the amount of water I am adding?
I have had a few problems with my pond recently so plan to take my pond
down by a quarter and then top a couple of times over the next month.

If you are only topping it up it's not necessary.
A Yorkshire man wasting money, amazing! :-)

The thing to worry about is if the Water Co are flushing the mains to get
rid of the freshwater shrimps, they use an insecticide and it will kill fish
too. A friend lost all his fish. They normally do it once a year so worth a
phone call, just ask them if they are flushing the mains in your area
because you want to top up your pond.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 09-07-2011, 09:59 PM posted to rec.ponds

On Wed, 1 Jun 2011 17:38:15 +0100, "Bob Hobden" wrote:

"yorkshirespambo" wrote ..

When I top my pond up how much dechlorinator should I use. I top up from
the tap and our water is chlorinated. Do I use sufficient to
de-chlorinate the full pond (it is a fairly small pond), or do I just
use sufficient to dechlorinate the amount of water I am adding?
I have had a few problems with my pond recently so plan to take my pond
down by a quarter and then top a couple of times over the next month.

If you are only topping it up it's not necessary.
A Yorkshire man wasting money, amazing! :-)

The thing to worry about is if the Water Co are flushing the mains to get
rid of the freshwater shrimps, they use an insecticide and it will kill fish
too. A friend lost all his fish. They normally do it once a year so worth a
phone call, just ask them if they are flushing the mains in your area
because you want to top up your pond.

OMGosh, is this drinking water they add this to? Are people informed when
it is added?

IMHO, yorkshirespambo, you should be doing a water change out, old out, new
in 20%/week, but depends on what kind of pond you have. Koi need more,
water gardens need less... and depends on your source water, obviously...
insecticides?!!!! Sheesh. ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us
Old 10-07-2011, 12:12 AM posted to rec.ponds

"~ jan" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

"yorkshirespambo" wrote ..

[...]

Yes it's mains water, happens all over the world.
Not directly, they don't want to alarm people, but there is usually a note
in the local paper saying that the mains will be flushed. They just forget
to say it's with an insecticide. :-) If you phone them they may well
prevaricate, you will feel them getting nervous, just insist you know what
they do and calmly ask if it's happening when you do water changes, or large
top ups because you don't want to lose all your fish.

IMHO, yorkshirespambo, you should be doing a water change out, old out,
new
in 20%/week, but depends on what kind of pond you have. Koi need more,
water gardens need less... and depends on your source water, obviously...
insecticides?!!!! Sheesh. ;-) ~ jan

Good way to ensure your pond goes green introducing tap water with it's high
nitrate (fertilizer) levels. With efficient biological filtration, and
especially with plants in the pond, constant water changes are not required.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

Old 10-07-2011, 05:40 AM posted to rec.ponds

On Sat, 9 Jul 2011 23:12:11 +0100, "Bob Hobden" wrote:

Good way to ensure your pond goes green introducing tap water with it's high
nitrate (fertilizer) levels. With efficient biological filtration, and
especially with plants in the pond, constant water changes are not required.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

Well see.... you of the old country have this problem, ;-) here in the
states it is very rare except in very rural areas w/community wells, and
even then they're monitored if they sell their water to others. And
insecticides, no way. People are notified when herbicides are coming thru
their irrigation lines if they request notification, and that is water just
for plants/lawn.

Course that's why I told the poster to know his source water (at least I
hope I said that). Plants can't remove salts and other toxic things. Algae
in particular likes phosphate more than nitrates, w/plants, fresh water
with high nitrates are just going to be eaten up. I assume your nitrates
aren't high enough to call blue baby syndrome and such? ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Adding dechlorinator when topping up - kinda long Mike Patterson Ponds 7 01-04-2004 09:16 PM
Adding dechlorinator when topping up [email protected] Ponds 0 27-03-2004 09:03 PM
Conditioning water for topping-up pond ? Conrad Ponds 4 30-06-2003 04:32 PM
Topping Up Bill Spohn Ponds 1 09-06-2003 05:08 AM
Topping off pond question claude rogers Ponds 27 04-06-2003 08:56 PM