Old 24-10-2011, 11:56 AM
Registered User

Location: Oldham, Greater Manchester
Default When to stop feeding pond goldfish and is it ok to remove pump and preesure filter

I stopped feeding the pond goldfish a week ago after the first frost. Since then it has got warmer and fish have risen to the top of the pond. Should I resume feeding or leave it till Spring. Also Ive taken the pump and filter out as I have been told its safe to do so in Winter. Any advice welcomed
Old 24-10-2011, 11:49 PM posted to rec.ponds

"David Wright" wrote

I stopped feeding the pond goldfish a week ago after the first frost.
Since then it has got warmer and fish have risen to the top of the pond.
Should I resume feeding or leave it till Spring. Also Ive taken the pump
and filter out as I have been told its safe to do so in Winter. Any
advice welcomed

The normal advice is to stop feeding when the water temperature is below
50°F (10°C). Floating thermometers are available from both pond shops and
swimming pool shops.
--
Regards Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup from the W. of London UK

Old 27-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wright View Post
I stopped feeding the pond goldfish a week ago after the first frost. Since then it has got warmer and fish have risen to the top of the pond. Should I resume feeding or leave it till Spring. Also Ive taken the pump and filter out as I have been told its safe to do so in Winter. Any advice welcomed
Personally speaking, I don't feed my fish until the warmer weather comes back. If we do get a milder spell, I leave my fish to it. There is plenty of natural food for them in the pond. Leave them until Spring.

I always clean my pump and filter before the cold weather hits but I never leave it out. There are 3 reasons why:

1. Keeping the water moving helps to reduce the risk of ice forming.
2. Stagnant water is no good for the fish.
3. It gives the filter a better chance of killing any Green Algae off which may have grown over the warmer months. There is less sun during the winter months (Green Algae needs sun to grow), so leave your pump and filter running.