Old 13-06-2013, 06:46 PM
Registered User

Default Neglected Pond

Can I have some advice please. I am moving into a house in afew weeks time that has a 5ft x 4ft (approx) pond which has been neglected and as I like fish I was going to tidy it up but really don't know where to start with it. I can see there is a pump in it but not currently doing anything, it is covered in green gunge, tons of snails, loads of bugs and there are what I have seen so far three goldfish one being quite big. What I thought of doing was getting a clean bin and a colander and emptying the current water into the bin with the colander catching all the rubbish, so I could re use the same water that the fish are used to.

Any advice on trying to revive this pond would be much appreciated otherwise I'm sad to say it will have to be filled in.

Thanks

Tracy
Old 14-06-2013, 05:13 AM posted to rec.ponds

On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 19:46:53 +0200, tracymcuk
wrote:

Can I have some advice please. I am moving into a house in afew weeks
time that has a 5ft x 4ft (approx) pond which has been neglected and as
I like fish I was going to tidy it up but really don't know where to
start with it. I can see there is a pump in it but not currently doing
anything, it is covered in green gunge, tons of snails, loads of bugs
and there are what I have seen so far three goldfish one being quite
big. What I thought of doing was getting a clean bin and a colander and
emptying the current water into the bin with the colander catching all
the rubbish, so I could re use the same water that the fish are used to.

Any advice on trying to revive this pond would be much appreciated
otherwise I'm sad to say it will have to be filled in.

Thanks

Tracy

Use a pump to run water into the tub, do not try to sieve it, the pump
won't let the really big stuff thru anyway. Use as big a bin as you can
find and get something to aerate it once the fish are in. Cover the bin so
they don't jump out, when the water is about half full, use fresh for the
rest with something to dechlor and/or remove ammonia, depending on your
water source.

Totally clean the pond so you can see what you have. Pump water to
waste/lawn, use a shop vac w/o filter to get out the gunk. Clean the pump
and see how well it works. Rinse the sides but do not scrub off the good
algae.

What part of the country are located in? ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Neglected roses simfan Roses 12 30-04-2011 12:07 AM
neglected orchid plant -- help! J Fortuna Orchids 21 08-02-2004 07:15 PM
Prepping a neglected garden for next yesr? (central VA) The Other Harry Gardening 3 27-06-2003 05:32 AM
Neglected planter david United Kingdom 1 13-04-2003 10:08 AM
Pruning neglected, overgrown pear tree Ed Evans Gardening 3 24-03-2003 02:08 PM