Where to buy Calcium Carbonate?

Old 15-05-2003, 12:44 AM
Gregory Young

Default Where to buy Calcium Carbonate?

Muriate of potash, 0-0-60, from any nursery/garden center. I just grabbed my
box to confirm price.. 5 pounds for $4.99.
5 pounds will last you multiple seasons!
Try it.. it should help.
Almost forgot.. dose is one ounce per 1,00 gallons of water every 2 weeks
for 3 doses!
Let me know how you make out. You should see improvement following the
second dose, unless other elements are lacking.
Happy ponding,
Greg

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
Thanks all for your response!

Greg, can you expand some more?
Are you suggesting that I add potash to my pond?
Where do I buy potash from? The least expensive approach of course.

You are right though because my string algae are totally out of control,

yet
my WH are not doing well, except in the veggie filter.

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"Gregory Young" wrote in message
Try adding potassium (potash.. 0-0-60) every 2 weeks for 3 cycles.
I have hard water, pH of 8.2, and the hyacinths didn't do well either.
Once on the potassium the higher level plants outcompete the hair algae
(which loves higher pH BTW), and the hair algae's growth slows way down.
My hyacinths then bloomed like crazy. They may, in your case, be lacking
other essentials, unless you do routine water change outs, in which case
that shouldn't be a factor.
Happy ponding
Greg

Old 15-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Gregory Young

to raise water's gH one degree use:
(if pH 8.0) 1.5# of ag. lime per 1000 gallons
(if pH 8.0) 0.25# of ag. lime per 1000 gallons
Happy ponding,
Greg

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
news:[email protected]..
BV,

I don't know how much, but I would say it should be a very small amount,
like a half cup or less. I seeded my small pond with lime shortly after I
built it. I probably put in close to 20 pounds of lime for 2000 gallons.
It took weeks for all the lime dust to settle out. Water has always been
extremely clear.
--
RichToyBox

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in
message ...
"RichToyBox" wrote in message
.net...
BV,

It is common garden lime. Not the hydrated white lime, but will say
limestone. Dolomitic lime has dolomite in it which is calcium

magnesium
carbonate. I would look for the calcitic limestone. I think the bags

have
calcium carbonate equivalents printed on the bag. Look for one close

100% if you can find it.

The one thing I have not been able to find is an amount. A few of the
articles I read, talked amounts applied per acre of water. I don't have
nearly that much surface area. Is there an easier method for

measurement?

BV.

Old 13-01-2016, 02:18 PM

Location: Wiltshire

Originally Posted by BenignVanilla View Post
Does anyone have a source for Calcium Carbonate?
Yes, us! Here's a link to it in 25kg bags: Calmote AD Whiting - Industrial Plasters Ltd.

This may not be of any interest by now, but you never know!

Russell