Where to buy Calcium Carbonate?

Old 12-05-2003, 06:56 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Where to buy Calcium Carbonate?

Does anyone have a source for Calcium Carbonate? My research is telling me
that it is the answer to my suspended clay problem and that it should not
cause a problem with my plants or fish.

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond

Remove MYFRONTALLOBE to email me.

Old 13-05-2003, 02:20 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Calcium carbonate is limestone. Garden centers would have crushed (not
powdered) limestone.

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net
"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 13-05-2003, 03:56 AM
RichToyBox

BV,

It is common garden lime. Not the hydrated white lime, but will say
limestone. Dolomitic lime has dolomite in it which is calcium magnesium
carbonate. I would look for the calcitic limestone. I think the bags have
calcium carbonate equivalents printed on the bag. Look for one close to
100% if you can find it.
--
RichToyBox

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 13-05-2003, 07:44 AM
Lee Brouillet

Calcium Carbonate in its purest form is dolomite lime: try an agricultural
supply place. (it's a shame: I have a 50 lb. bag in the garage I never
used!). Another source of Calcium Carbonate is crushed oyster shell (many
people put a couple hundred lbs. of it in their filters to help maintain
KH). Now, I never used the dolomite lime because I found that regular ol'
Arm n' Hammer baking soda (or its generic equivalent) worked easier and was
more dependable. I use it to maintain KH, which buffers my pH.

Gypsum will also help precipitate stuff in suspension. You'll find it in the
same place you find the dolomite lime.

What is your KH? Maybe baking soda will do what you want.

Lee
"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 13-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Just Me \Koi\

In my pond, my water hardiness is sky high, so is my ph. Could this be the
reason my water hyacinth are not doing well? Funny enough though the plants
in the veggie filter including wh are doing great!

My Brother tells me that he does not think my pond has any salt in it. That
if I should increase salt level to about .2 or .3. He doesn't think this
level of concentration will kill my plants or my fish. Is this going
backwards?

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 13-05-2003, 04:20 PM
ajames54

On Tue, 13 May 2003 15:06:56 GMT, "Just Me \"Koi\""
wrote:

In my pond, my water hardiness is sky high, so is my ph. Could this be the
reason my water hyacinth are not doing well? Funny enough though the plants
in the veggie filter including wh are doing great!

My Brother tells me that he does not think my pond has any salt in it. That
if I should increase salt level to about .2 or .3. He doesn't think this
level of concentration will kill my plants or my fish. Is this going
backwards?

yup salting you pond is moving backwards if your concern is your
plants... it does nothing beneficial to your plants and wont
significantly affect your PH or KH ... it will modestly reduce
the stress you fish are under due to any swings in PH.

Calcium Carbonate used to be available around here in regular
drug stores ... it is the main ingredient in tums.

when you say your hardness is sky high I can only assume you mean
general hardness (GH) rather than carbonate hardness (KH). A
high KH will buffer your pond and help keep the PH in a
reasonable zone.
Old 13-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Just Me \"Koi\" wrote:
In my pond, my water hardiness is sky high, so is my ph. Could this be the
reason my water hyacinth are not doing well? Funny enough though the plants
in the veggie filter including wh are doing great!

My Brother tells me that he does not think my pond has any salt in it. That
if I should increase salt level to about .2 or .3. He doesn't think this
level of concentration will kill my plants or my fish. Is this going
backwards?

--

If you have plants the salt level should not exceed .10%

Old 13-05-2003, 11:44 PM
BenignVanilla

"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
Calcium Carbonate in its purest form is dolomite lime: try an agricultural
supply place. (it's a shame: I have a 50 lb. bag in the garage I never
used!). Another source of Calcium Carbonate is crushed oyster shell (many
people put a couple hundred lbs. of it in their filters to help maintain
KH). Now, I never used the dolomite lime because I found that regular ol'
Arm n' Hammer baking soda (or its generic equivalent) worked easier and

was
more dependable. I use it to maintain KH, which buffers my pH.

Gypsum will also help precipitate stuff in suspension. You'll find it in

the
same place you find the dolomite lime.

What is your KH? Maybe baking soda will do what you want.

I have not done any water tests yet. Currently the pond has plants, and a
half dozen feeder "test" minnows. My big problem is suspended clay in the
water. It's clean, it's just orange. The research I have done so far tells
me that Calcium Carbonate (Calcite) and Alum will both act a floculants and
clear my water right up. The Alum is described as having a negative effect
on pH, so I was hoping to avoid it. I'll use that if there is an easy way to
get my pH back to normal.

Anyway, to answer your question...I am trying to clear clay from my water.

BV.

Old 13-05-2003, 11:44 PM
BenignVanilla

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
.net...
BV,

It is common garden lime. Not the hydrated white lime, but will say
limestone. Dolomitic lime has dolomite in it which is calcium magnesium
carbonate. I would look for the calcitic limestone. I think the bags

have
calcium carbonate equivalents printed on the bag. Look for one close to
100% if you can find it.

Well...I haven't been to Home Depot in 24 hours...so it's off I go.

BV.

Old 13-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Gregory Young

Try adding potassium (potash.. 0-0-60) every 2 weeks for 3 cycles.
I have hard water, pH of 8.2, and the hyacinths didn't do well either.
Once on the potassium the higher level plants outcompete the hair algae
(which loves higher pH BTW), and the hair algae's growth slows way down.
My hyacinths then bloomed like crazy. They may, in your case, be lacking
other essentials, unless you do routine water change outs, in which case
that shouldn't be a factor.
Happy ponding
Greg

Old 14-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Nedra

ROFLOL!!! This struck me as hilarious. I know the feeling
Home Depot.

Nedra

"BenignVanilla" wrote in
message ...

Old 14-05-2003, 03:56 AM
GD

Water hyacinth and some other floating aquatic plants sometimes suffer
iron or other micronutrient deficiencies at high pH (over 7.8 or so).
Evidence is smallish leaves with yellow streaking. Other factors can
affect plant condition, certainly, but I'd guess the pH in your pond
is the cause. As pretty as it is, please keep in mind that water
hyacinth is a noxious weed in tropical to temperate regions throughout
the world. Many states prohibit possession. Never release this
species into the wild, as it is a potential lake-killer.

Old 14-05-2003, 04:32 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Thanks all for your response!

Greg, can you expand some more?
Are you suggesting that I add potash to my pond?
Where do I buy potash from? The least expensive approach of course.

You are right though because my string algae are totally out of control, yet
my WH are not doing well, except in the veggie filter.

--
_______________________________________

Old 14-05-2003, 06:20 AM
Benign Vanilla

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
.net...
BV,

It is common garden lime. Not the hydrated white lime, but will say
limestone. Dolomitic lime has dolomite in it which is calcium magnesium
carbonate. I would look for the calcitic limestone. I think the bags

have
calcium carbonate equivalents printed on the bag. Look for one close to
100% if you can find it.

The one thing I have not been able to find is an amount. A few of the
articles I read, talked amounts applied per acre of water. I don't have
nearly that much surface area. Is there an easier method for measurement?

BV.

Old 15-05-2003, 12:32 AM
RichToyBox

BV,

I don't know how much, but I would say it should be a very small amount,
like a half cup or less. I seeded my small pond with lime shortly after I
built it. I probably put in close to 20 pounds of lime for 2000 gallons.
It took weeks for all the lime dust to settle out. Water has always been
extremely clear.
--
RichToyBox

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in