Old 24-05-2003, 05:20 AM
D. S.

Default Splicing Liner

What is the best way to splice EPDM liner. I have figured the layout of my
lotus bog, and it's kinda going be T shaped (Due to the fact that there are
obstacles in the way). I priced the liner as if it were going be oval, but
that left me with a lot of excess. I have decided to splice two pieces
together to form the T. By doing that, it has cut the cost of the liner
almost in half. Does that splicing tape work well, or is there a better
method?

TIA

D.S.

Old 24-05-2003, 01:08 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

D. S. wrote:
What is the best way to splice EPDM liner. I have figured the layout of my
lotus bog, and it's kinda going be T shaped (Due to the fact that there are
obstacles in the way). I priced the liner as if it were going be oval, but
that left me with a lot of excess. I have decided to splice two pieces
together to form the T. By doing that, it has cut the cost of the liner
almost in half. Does that splicing tape work well, or is there a better
method?

TIA

D.S.

I've found the tape to work very well.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 24-05-2003, 03:57 PM
Roger Bennett

I would use what roofers call seam tape (I'm pretty sure it's the same thing
you are calling "splicing tape") and then I'd cover the inside of your seam
with an additional layer of what roofers call cover tape (it's only sticky
on one side) for additional protection over the years.

I built our stream system out of "free" roofing rubber scraps and it has
maybe fifty feet of seams in every place imaginable four years ago, and the
main problem (other than #%&*# chipmunks or mice chewing holes in it during
the winter) has been plant roots (especially cattails) managing to find the
tiniest imperfection in the seams and expanding them into leaks after the
roots die back each winter.

Where I later added the cover tape over the seams where we have cattails,
this seems to have stopped that from happening. It doubles the original
price of making the seam (two strips if tape instead of one) but if you're
going to add strong rooting plants to your pond in the future, I think from
experience, it's worth it for the added protection, not to mention having to
pull the liner or drain your pond later to add cover tape or a patch later.

Oh yeah, and whatever it costs, buy a can of the recommended primer (it's
the same for both types of tape) and use it as directed. That's another
mistake I can warn you of from experience -- gas is a cheapskates poor
substitute that originally cleans the rubber but doesn't help the tapes form
a good molecular bond over time.

Good Luck

RGB
Zone 5 OH

Old 24-05-2003, 05:21 PM
Paul in Redland

I remember a previous poster very carefully driving his car over the splice
,The tire that is, to make sure it was stuck together well. FWIW
Paul