Old 13-06-2003, 05:32 AM
~ Windsong ~

Default catfish food for koi :-)

A few years ago there was a discussion here (I think it was here) about
feeding koi and large goldfish catfish food. I remember all kinds of dire
warnings. We pay $10.99 for a 50 lb bag of catfish chow here in TN. If we
buy koi food it runs around $35 for a small 10 lb bag. The koi are getting
big and really pack the food away now. After 3 years I can attest to the
fact that koi THRIVE on this food as do all the goldfish. I do buy a
smaller pellets for the smaller fish.

There's been no disease or parasites since we've started using this food,
and also LymnoZyme a few times in early spring. Every single fish survived
the winter.
--
Carol.......
"War does not determine who is right,

Old 13-06-2003, 07:56 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

I was asking about catfish food a couple of years ago. It was suggested
that catfish food will add fat to the livers of koi as it is a growth not
maintenance food. Our koi and goldfish are very inexpensive, as are our
goldfish. I calculated that the savings on the first bag of catfish food
would replace all my koi. So.....they eat catfish food. As you, we have
koi that slurp (oops, suck) it up like mad. At this point they are
thriving! They have gone from 3" to 18-24" and eat like yours. I
appreciate those who feed Koi food. We are happy with catfish food.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net
.. .

Old 13-06-2003, 08:20 AM
Just Me \Koi\

What is catfish food, and where does one buy catfish food?

Ingrid and Joann, what do you both think about this catfish food thing?

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in
message ...
I was asking about catfish food a couple of years ago. It was suggested
that catfish food will add fat to the livers of koi as it is a growth not
maintenance food. Our koi and goldfish are very inexpensive, as are our
goldfish. I calculated that the savings on the first bag of catfish food
would replace all my koi. So.....they eat catfish food. As you, we have
koi that slurp (oops, suck) it up like mad. At this point they are
thriving! They have gone from 3" to 18-24" and eat like yours. I
appreciate those who feed Koi food. We are happy with catfish food.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net
.. .

Old 13-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

~ Windsong ~ wrote:
A few years ago there was a discussion here (I think it was here) about
feeding koi and large goldfish catfish food. I remember all kinds of dire
warnings. We pay $10.99 for a 50 lb bag of catfish chow here in TN. If we
buy koi food it runs around $35 for a small 10 lb bag. The koi are getting
big and really pack the food away now. After 3 years I can attest to the
fact that koi THRIVE on this food as do all the goldfish. I do buy a
smaller pellets for the smaller fish.

There's been no disease or parasites since we've started using this food,
and also LymnoZyme a few times in early spring. Every single fish survived
the winter.

I believe the arguement was that the catfish food was not
for long lived fish. Most catfish are raised as food fish,
not pets and their lives are not as long as koi.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 13-06-2003, 04:08 PM
John Hines

"Just Me \"Koi\"" wrote:

What is catfish food, and where does one buy catfish food?

Food for farm raised catfish, so you would be looking for a feed store,
in an area with fish farms.

Old 14-06-2003, 01:20 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Hi Bonnnie,

That was my memory as well, with the remarks made that catfish food promotes
fast growth of juveniles, koi grow to maturity and koi live longer. The
issue of fat and liver was also raised as part of the reason the koi would
die early.

Jim

Old 14-06-2003, 01:20 AM
~ Windsong ~

In a fit of sanity: Phyllis and Jim Hurley picked up the keyboard and
pecked out:
:: I was asking about catfish food a couple of years ago. It was
:: suggested that catfish food will add fat to the livers of koi as
:: it is a growth not maintenance food.

** And I believe those who make and sell koi food would like us all to
purchase it from them - and not at a feed store for so much less. The
difference in price is hard to believe. Someone's making a lot of money.
My koi's livers must be fine because not only are they healthy with no
deaths in several years but they bred this spring. :-)

Our koi and goldfish are
:: very inexpensive, as are our goldfish. I calculated that the
:: savings on the first bag of catfish food would replace all my koi.
:: So.....they eat catfish food. As you, we have koi that slurp
:: (oops, suck) it up like mad.

** My koi are like vacuum cleaners..... anything edible that hits the water
gets sucked in.

At this point they are thriving!
:: They have gone from 3" to 18-24" and eat like yours. I appreciate
:: those who feed Koi food. We are happy with catfish food.

** What got me started with koi food was seeing a man down in town's koi and
goldfish. They were huge, well filled out, no sickness, plenty of fry every
year - and all they ever got was catfish food and whatever insects and bugs
fell into the water. I asked what he was feeding them and he showed me the
food and where to buy it.... I've been getting it there ever since. No
need to pay $5 to $10 a lb for koi chow.

Old 14-06-2003, 01:32 AM
~ Windsong ~

In a fit of sanity: Just Me "Koi" picked up the keyboard and pecked
out:
:: What is catfish food, and where does one buy catfish food?
::
:: Ingrid and Joann, what do you both think about this catfish food
:: thing?
=========================
You can buy catfish food in almost any feed store. If they don't have it in
stock they can order it for you.
Ingrid and Joann are in the business of selling high priced koi food so
probably have many reasons people shouldn't but catfish food.

Old 14-06-2003, 01:32 AM
~ Windsong ~

In a fit of sanity: John Hines picked up the keyboard and pecked out:
:: "Just Me \"Koi\"" wrote:
::
::: What is catfish food, and where does one buy catfish food?
::
:: Food for farm raised catfish, so you would be looking for a feed
:: store, in an area with fish farms.
===================
There are no fish farms in our area. Many feed stores carry it because the
pond owners are buying it. They're buying it because the koi and goldfish
are thriving on it. :-)

Old 14-06-2003, 01:44 AM
~ Windsong ~

In a fit of sanity: Bonnie Espenshade picked up the keyboard and
pecked out:
:: I believe the arguement was that the catfish food was not
:: for long lived fish. Most catfish are raised as food fish,
:: not pets and their lives are not as long as koi.
----------------------------
I can't say that's true either, because Simon's (sp?) fish were about 5 or 6
years old at the time and thriving on it. His goldfish were even older.
Perhaps "overfeeding" is the problem where there were problems..... fat
fish, like overweight people, probably suffer from obesity related health
problems.

Old 14-06-2003, 02:32 AM
John Hines

"~ Windsong ~" wrote:

In a fit of sanity: John Hines picked up the keyboard and pecked out:
:: "Just Me \"Koi\"" wrote:
::
::: What is catfish food, and where does one buy catfish food?
::
:: Food for farm raised catfish, so you would be looking for a feed
:: store, in an area with fish farms.
===================
There are no fish farms in our area. Many feed stores carry it because the
pond owners are buying it. They're buying it because the koi and goldfish
are thriving on it. :-)

At least you have feed stores, it isn't a problem to add a few bags of
fish food, along with the other animals.

Agriculture is history in my area, the last feed store in the area now
sells lawn ornaments

Duck food is the only thing I can get regularity.
Old 14-06-2003, 03:20 AM
Anne Lurie

With all due respect for Carol, whose signature is eminently sensible,
what's with the " picked up the keyboard and pecked out" a response???

Sorry, sorry, I just realized that it's Friday the 13th -- this may
perhaps explain why I find the "somebody done somebody wrong" quoting
appellations more interesting than the material actually quoted.

I think I shall take a sabbatical from newsgroups until next month.... watch
out, WordRacer, here I come!

My apologies, Wind/Carol and the rest of you,

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 14-06-2003, 05:32 AM
Tom La Bron

John,

Ask the people who get the duck food for you to see if they can get catfish
food for you. Most place are pretty accommodating. You may pay a little
bit more for a 50 lb bag, since you are getting only one, but it would
probably worth asking.

Tom L.L.
"John Hines" wrote in message
"~ Windsong ~" wrote:

In a fit of sanity: John Hines picked up the keyboard and pecked out:
::

Old 14-06-2003, 05:44 AM
Tom La Bron

Carol,

I was looking at catfish foods and it seems that they are now making a
sinking pellet and it cost less than the floating at $10.76 for 51 LBS.

Will have to ask at the feed store if they can get me the sinking pellets.

Tom L.L.
"~ Windsong ~" wrote in message
In a fit of sanity: John Hines picked up the keyboard and pecked out:
::

Old 14-06-2003, 05:44 AM
Tom La Bron

Carol,

I would not worry about your KOI's livers or those of your Goldfish because
most of that fat that builds up around the heart and liver are created
because of feeding of high protein foods all the time. Most of the catfish
foods sold are 32% protein although there are some 36% feeds that are used
to baby fish. If you continue to feed the 32% variety you will be fine.

Tom L.L.