Old 08-07-2003, 07:32 AM
Megan Wilson

Default ? about nessler vs salicylate and AmQuel

I bought a testing kit and found out my ammonia was too high (which is what
i expected), so then i went and bought some AmQuel to lower the ammonia. I
realized after I added the AmQuel that the testing kit i bought uses nessler
reagents and you're not supposed to use nessler reagents with AmQuel. Can
anyone tell me why that is, and what i should do to make it so i can use the
testing kit i bought, or if i need to go buy a new one. thanks!

meg

Old 08-07-2003, 02:32 PM
ajames54

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 23:27:34 -0700, "Megan Wilson"
wrote:

I bought a testing kit and found out my ammonia was too high (which is what
i expected), so then i went and bought some AmQuel to lower the ammonia. I
realized after I added the AmQuel that the testing kit i bought uses nessler
reagents and you're not supposed to use nessler reagents with AmQuel. Can
anyone tell me why that is, and what i should do to make it so i can use the
testing kit i bought, or if i need to go buy a new one. thanks!

meg

Tests using nesslers reagent will not show a significant change
after adding amquel ... so you could end up adding gallons of
Amquel and never see a change in your test.

From my understanding the Amquel simply bonds with the existing
ammonia to neutralize it... and the nesslers reagent still reacts
to the now neutralized ammonia.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:32 PM
Lee Brouillet

Different reagents, different testing methods. You can't salvage the
Nessler, you'll need to buy the Salicylate, which is a 2 part test. Sorry .
.. .

Lee

Old 09-07-2003, 02:48 AM
RichToyBox

Nessler test kits measure both ammonia and ammonium and express it as
ammonia. AmQuel and some of the other products bind the ammonia (toxic)
into the ammonium form (non-toxic). Since the total amount is still there
for the filter to remove (it doesn't care which form it is in) the test kits
that measure NH3/NH4 do not show the toxic only. The Salycilate test kits
show only the toxic ammonia.
--
RichToyBox

"Megan Wilson" wrote in message
I bought a testing kit and found out my ammonia was too high (which is

what
i expected), so then i went and bought some AmQuel to lower the ammonia. I
realized after I added the AmQuel that the testing kit i bought uses

nessler
reagents and you're not supposed to use nessler reagents with AmQuel. Can
anyone tell me why that is, and what i should do to make it so i can use

the
testing kit i bought, or if i need to go buy a new one. thanks!

meg

Birds and the Bees and Koi and the... Benign Vanilla Ponds 23 19-04-2004 03:06 PM
Amquel and Ich medication? smilla Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 18-03-2004 09:37 AM
Amquel vs PondAmQuel Fred Ponds 4 03-11-2003 09:12 PM
(Cheaper) Amquel BenignVanilla Ponds 10 28-06-2003 10:32 PM
Amquel - usable ammonia? cindy Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:10 AM