Old 11-07-2003, 06:32 AM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

Default Is it legal? (plant acquisition)

Is it legal to take pond plants from a local pond?

I have a Pickerel weed (given to me by a friend who was thinning theirs) and
would like more. My local pond has a TON. As a matter of fact, it has more
plant life than it ever has. Starting to look clogged. Tons of water lilies
as well. Is it illegal to take plants from a pond? Do I have to pay the $ to
get them at the not so local water nursery?

I don't want to do anything illegal here, so I'm checking. Who would I ask
locally to find out for sure? I'm not sure the police would know about that
sort of thing, would they?

--
LN in S.NH

Old 11-07-2003, 07:32 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Is the pond private (contact the owner) or public, contact something like
Game & Wildlife, or Ecology, or Wetlands in the name? ~ jan

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 04:29:35 GMT, "LN \(remove NOSPAM\)" wrote:

Is it legal to take pond plants from a local pond?

I have a Pickerel weed (given to me by a friend who was thinning theirs) and
would like more. My local pond has a TON. As a matter of fact, it has more
plant life than it ever has. Starting to look clogged. Tons of water lilies
as well. Is it illegal to take plants from a pond? Do I have to pay the $ to
get them at the not so local water nursery?

I don't want to do anything illegal here, so I'm checking. Who would I ask
locally to find out for sure? I'm not sure the police would know about that
sort of thing, would they?

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 11-07-2003, 07:32 AM
K30a

go to your state webpage and find a department that looks good. You'll probably
have to call.

k30a
Old 11-07-2003, 08:32 AM
bobkiely

I have a feeling if you called the police to ask them they would give you
the short, quick answer, "NO".

I think you need to find out who takes care of the pond. If it is a
municipal pond like we have several here I'd try the Parks and Recreation
Department.

You're on the right track and frame of mind when you say, "Starting to look
clogged." When you call them don't simply ask if you can pull some out for
your pond but tell them that you have noticed that the Pickerel weed in that
pond looks like its out of control and you wondered if anyone would care if
you as a citizen volunteer would help thin it out before it completely takes
over the pond?

If that doesn't work, ask them for the name and phone # for the actual guy
(caretaker) who maintains the pond and just ask him if you could have some.
If he's going to be there in the near future, ask him if you could meet him
there.

This used to be so easy before the invention of lawyers. How many things
could that sentence be applied to?

Good Luck,
BK

Old 11-07-2003, 04:08 PM
BenignVanilla

"LN (remove NOSPAM)" wrote in message
Is it legal to take pond plants from a local pond?

I have a Pickerel weed (given to me by a friend who was thinning theirs)

and
would like more. My local pond has a TON. As a matter of fact, it has more
plant life than it ever has. Starting to look clogged. Tons of water

lilies
as well. Is it illegal to take plants from a pond? Do I have to pay the $

get them at the not so local water nursery?

I don't want to do anything illegal here, so I'm checking. Who would I ask
locally to find out for sure? I'm not sure the police would know about

that
sort of thing, would they?

In addition to ponding, I like to rock climb, a new passion. When I have
gone out doors to new locations, I have often called ahead to local
authorities to see it was an allowed area. Nobody ever had answers. So I
gave up and just started climbing. If it's naughty, they'll tell me, and I
will politely leave.

I would assume that if this "local" pond is not on private property, nobody
is going to bother you if you take a few plants, especially if it is
crowded. And if they do, I bet a simple polite, "I didn't think I was doing
harm." would suffice.

BV.

Old 11-07-2003, 04:20 PM
Wendy Kelly Budd

What's that old saying? "It's easier to receive forgiveness, than seek
permission."

--
Wendy* in N. California,

"America did not invent human rights. In a very real sense, it is the other
way around. Human rights invented America." Jimmy Carter

$

Old 11-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Sam Hopkins

In any state you're not allowed to take anything from any government owned
pond, park, gameland, etc. This includes flowers, animals, and even sticks
and rocks. This stops people from destroying the environment or making the
"scene" unavailable to others. For instance if you were allowed to take from
parks then you could walk right up to their tulip display and cut them all
down. You're also not allowed to catch anything from a pond and sell it or
any of it's offspring. In many states if not all you can not keep a wild
animal as a pet. So if you catch a turtle you're not allowed to keep it
though you would be allowed to eat it.

However, I often go to my local county pond and take cuttings of pond
plants, get snails, etc. I'm never bothered though I've never seen an
enforcement officer. If you want to go during the wee hours like
7:00-8:00am. GRAB AND RUN.

Sam

Old 11-07-2003, 05:38 PM
Hank Pagel

Give yours a little time and you will be giving some to other people.
If you do take it from a wild pond you may be bringing home more than
just pickerel rush.

"LN (remove NOSPAM)" wrote in
message ...

Old 11-07-2003, 07:08 PM
K30a

When I called my state (WA) they told me they aren't concerned about a kid and
a jar full of tadpoles. They are more concerned about someone pulling a truck
up and loading up whatever it is they seek.

Also stay away from a pond that has beavers in it. You can get very sick from
various diseases.

k30a

Old 11-07-2003, 07:10 PM
KenCo

"LN (remove NOSPAM)" wrote:

Is it legal to take pond plants from a local pond?

nope, fines avg. $500.00+ per plant if caught
on public land.

private land w/ permission is ok unless its an
endangered species.

I have a Pickerel weed (given to me by a friend who was thinning theirs) and
would like more. My local pond has a TON. As a matter of fact, it has more
plant life than it ever has. Starting to look clogged. Tons of water lilies
as well. Is it illegal to take plants from a pond? Do I have to pay the $ to
get them at the not so local water nursery?

I don't want to do anything illegal here, so I'm checking. Who would I ask
locally to find out for sure? I'm not sure the police would know about that
sort of thing, would they?

--
LN in S.NH

--
http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced.

Old 14-07-2003, 07:52 AM
Snooze

It's actually a quote, from Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper. One of the
first female computer scientists, and one of the few women to earn the rank
of Admiral.
"It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission."

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/p...-h/g-hoppr.htm

Same lady that coined the term computer bug, and debugging a computer
program.

Sameer

Old 15-07-2003, 12:47 AM
Wendy Kelly Budd

Cool! Thanks.
--
Wendy* in N. California,

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in
school." - Albert Einstein

thlink.net...

My new acquisition! Claude Orchids 0 06-02-2004 07:33 AM
My new acquisition! Claude Orchids 1 06-02-2004 07:20 AM
Is it legal? (plant acquisition) [and frogs] LN \(remove NOSPAM\) Ponds 13 13-07-2003 03:44 AM
agriculture enviromental data acquisition Mario Plant Science 9 02-06-2003 07:20 AM
agriculture enviromental data acquisition Mario sci.agriculture 11 02-06-2003 07:20 AM