Old 12-07-2003, 05:20 PM
Heather

Default Update - Toad Injured or deformed.

Took everyone's advice. Purchased some mealworms and crickets.

I was able to get closer to him/her (how do you tell?). The front leg
definitely looks chopped off. But is also has something not right with the
back. It really has trouble moving. Poor thing also looked very thin. It
couldn't move fast enough to get the crickets but sure gobbled down the
mealworms. I tried an earthworm but it didn't seem interested in that.
Other suggestions? De-winged house flys? Moths? We do live in the woods
so there is lots around if I can catch them.

I tried to purchase a Toad house but non in stock. He/she has been hiding
between the rocks by the pond. I did some rock arranging to give it better
hiding and will try for something more comfy over the weekend. I should
probably let nature take it's course however as humans we don't like to do
that do we. Besides anything within a 20' radius of the pond gets special
care.

Heather

Old 12-07-2003, 05:44 PM
K30a

How about small slugs on warm ground, then
they'll move.

I know what you mean about letting nature take its course - my mother can tell
you about a nest of baby mice I tried to raise, birds I insisted we take to the
vet, a pocket full of mussels from the beach in my robe, a fish I took to bed
with me and the eggs I tried to hatch under my pillow.

It is no wonder I have a jar full of tadpoles in the kitchen window and another
jar full of damselfly nymphs on the kitchen table.

k30a
Old 13-07-2003, 03:44 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

and another
jar full of damselfly nymphs on the kitchen table.
k30a

I gave her those, aren't I a great friend? smirk ~ jan )

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 13-07-2003, 04:56 AM
Gail Futoran

"Heather" wrote in message
[snip]
I tried to purchase a Toad house but non in stock.

How about an upturned pot with a doorway
knocked out of the rim? If it's earthenware
(pottery? I know what I mean...) it should stay
cool enough.

Don't know where you live, but I've found
reasonably-priced toad/frog houses in Hobby
Lobby, although we might be out of season.
(I was in my HL today and they already had
Halloween & Christmas stuff up.)

He/she has been hiding
between the rocks by the pond. I did some rock arranging

to give it better
hiding and will try for something more comfy over the

weekend. I should
probably let nature take it's course however as humans we

don't like to do
that do we. Besides anything within a 20' radius of the

pond gets special
care.

I know how you feel. And would do the same.

Gail
Southcentral TX USA

Old 14-07-2003, 09:02 PM
Susan H. Simko

K30a wrote:

How about small slugs on warm ground, then
they'll move.

Another trick is to get a small clay flower pot water saucer (can't
remember the names of the darned things you put under the pot to catch
the water) and use it as a food dish. I got one for the rescued turtle
who we have at home and he's eating like a champ from it. *smile* It
cost me around fifty cents at the local Lowes.

I know what you mean about letting nature take its course - my mother can tell
you about a nest of baby mice I tried to raise, birds I insisted we take to the
vet, a pocket full of mussels from the beach in my robe, a fish I took to bed
with me and the eggs I tried to hatch under my pillow.

Can't do it either. I suspect this has something to do with why we all
love ponds. I sitll remember the baby chipmunks we raised by hand an
dmy grandmother falling on her butt as the escaped baby chipmunk ran
right between her legs when she was trying ot cath it, the monarch
butterfly chrysalis that hung from the curtain rod in the living room so
we couldn't close the drapes until it emerged, my one eyed garter
snake who took up residence under the refrigerator, etc. *laugh* Just
can't turn my back on injured or orphaned animals of any kind. (Animals
do not include arachnids, BTW.)

It is no wonder I have a jar full of tadpoles in the kitchen window and another
jar full of damselfly nymphs on the kitchen table.

Tadpoles are in the pond along with the rescued crayfish.

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu

Old 14-07-2003, 09:22 PM
K30a

Susan wrote (Animals
do not include arachnids, BTW.)

I've actually surprised myself in my
middle age. I've had a spider who lived
in my delete key for a while (type very
carefully!).
Another one lived in my address book
spiral. The day he launched himself off
the top 'straight' at me... well, the kids could
hear the scream downstairs. He ended up swinging
down the spine of the book.

The funniest 'pet' right now is a fuzzy jumping spider who runs around the
glass walls of the tadpole jar. He is just sure he can catch those tadpoles, by
golly, they swim right under him and he dances around in frustration because he
can't get them.

k30a