Old 30-07-2003, 06:02 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Plants 101

OK, first let me pre-flame myself for asking this question. I know I should
do my own research, and google up old posts, but I figured we have not
hashed this out lately, so it may be kinda safe.

OK, here goes...

I have ignored all of the "how do I make my plants grow" threads, because my
plants have done great all season with no meddling. I know, can you imagine,
me not meddling? Anyway, now my plants are starting to yellow, and I am
regretting ignoring the plant threads.

Anyone care to discuss the 101's of plants....fertilizing, potash, spikes,
etc.

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond

Old 31-07-2003, 05:03 PM
Sam Hopkins

Well I'll say this. Your plants are limited by the most limiting
nutrient/mineral in your water/dirt. For instance lets say your plants are
starving for iron so you add iron. If there's no magnesium for the plant it
won't be able to use the iron because plants need magnesium to be able to
absorb iron. So even though there's iron in the water now you still won't be
helped out. That's why it's important to add a complete blend of trace
elements. People's Veggie filters would do double duty on their nutrient
load if they had the proper trace minerals to allow them to use all the
nitrate in the water.

Plants usually get minerals when you do water changes. If you don't do water
changes or have a high plant load the minerals in the water will deplete
until one trace element begins to limit the plant's growth.

Sam

Old 31-07-2003, 05:42 PM
BenignVanilla

"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

snip

That makes total sense. As I mentioned in the OP though, when this
discussion occurred a few months back, my plants/pond/fish were doing great.
I ignored the "how do I make my plants green" thread, because I didn't need
to care...or so I thought.

So now I am sitting here going Potash? Iron? What? How do I fix this?

BV.

Old 31-07-2003, 08:22 PM
Andrew Burgess

"Sam Hopkins" writes:

Plants usually get minerals when you do water changes. If you don't do water
changes or have a high plant load the minerals in the water will deplete
until one trace element begins to limit the plant's growth.

Minerals come in via water changes and fish food.

Old 01-08-2003, 12:33 AM
Nat

Sam Hopkins wrote:

[...]

BV,

This may be they case where your clay helped you out. Most of the
limiting trace minerals would have been introduced to your pond when the
clay washed in. You can supplement with hydroponics trace mineral
solutions, such as Earth Juice MicroBlast. Be very careful on two
points, first make sure the product is trace minerals / micro nutrients
only and not a "All in one mix". Second dose very sparingly, these
things are trace minerals, good in very small amounts and toxic in large.

Of course there is the original source you got them from! Umm, I am
going to go hide again.

Nathan

Old 01-08-2003, 02:03 PM
BenignVanilla

"Nat" wrote in message
snip
Of course there is the original source you got them from! Umm, I am
going to go hide again.

snip

I am going to be starting the potash thing this weekend for sure. In a week
or so, I may start tossing clay back in.

BV.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Registered User

This is very meaningful. As I said in the OP, however, when this discussion took place in a few months ago, I plant / pool / fish do well. I ignored the "how to get my plants green"thread, because I do not need to care.
Fountain Pumps

Filter Design 101 Question AngrieWoman Ponds 10 30-05-2003 04:20 PM
[IBC] 101 Chemistry Lesson randi sharp Bonsai 0 27-03-2003 04:08 AM
Pond Digging 101 BenignVanilla Ponds 13 26-03-2003 09:44 PM
Water Hyacinth 101? Lee Brouillet Ponds 19 18-03-2003 07:44 PM
[IBC] root theory 101 Steve Wolfinger Bonsai 3 27-01-2003 04:26 AM