MOVING-help w/ moving fish and temporary pond

Old 24-05-2004, 04:04 AM
Judi9000

Default MOVING-help w/ moving fish and temporary pond

Questions:

1. How do I transport my fish safely? We'll be driving for about 4 hrs.

2. I will need to set up a temporary pond. I found a 500 gal. stock tank that
I think will work, but I'm not sure about filtration. Right now I use
submersible pumps and filters in my ponds. Should I use a filter on the outside
with this above ground stock tank? If so what kind?

3. Can I take a piece of the bio-filter with me when I move? If so, how do I
do that?

Thanks for any advice!
Judi
Old 24-05-2004, 04:05 AM
RichToyBox

For that length of trip, I would highly recommend they be transported with
oxygen in the bag. Some pond/aquarium stores use oxygen, and may be willing
to help you bag the fish for the trip. If you cannot get oxygen, then
tranport the fish in a large cooler with airstone and pump, add amquel to
detox the ammonia if not bagged.

You said that you have a submerged filter. I would take the filter, drain
the water out of it, plastic bag it and take it with me, and immediately put
it in the temporary pond with the fish. It will stay active for a while,
though it may stumble a little, it has been taking care of the waste of the
fish and will not have to be cycled as long.
--
RichToyBox

Old 24-05-2004, 05:09 PM
Judi9000

From: "RichToyBox"
If you cannot get oxygen, then
tranport the fish in a large cooler with airstone and pump,

Are there battery opperated pumps?

I would take the filter, drain
the water out of it, plastic bag it and take it with me,

I told the new owners I would leave the pump/filters in the ponds. Can I just
take some of the bio balls and a piece of the gunky filter?

Should I put the filter piece and bio balls in the transporting container with
the fish or in a seperate bag/container?

Thanks, Judi
Old 24-05-2004, 05:10 PM
[email protected]

http://puregold.aquaria.net/pg/care/...tm#MOVING_FISH

(Judi9000) wrote:

Questions:

1. How do I transport my fish safely? We'll be driving for about 4 hrs.

2. I will need to set up a temporary pond. I found a 500 gal. stock tank that
I think will work, but I'm not sure about filtration. Right now I use
submersible pumps and filters in my ponds. Should I use a filter on the outside
with this above ground stock tank? If so what kind?

3. Can I take a piece of the bio-filter with me when I move? If so, how do I
do that?

Thanks for any advice!
Judi

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 24-05-2004, 05:10 PM
Benign Vanilla

From: "RichToyBox"
If you cannot get oxygen, then
tranport the fish in a large cooler with airstone and pump,

Are there battery opperated pumps?

I would take the filter, drain
the water out of it, plastic bag it and take it with me,

I told the new owners I would leave the pump/filters in the ponds. Can I

just
take some of the bio balls and a piece of the gunky filter?

snip

I don't speak from experience, but it occurs to me...Bioballs are relatively
cheap. Go buy a bunch more, after you get your fish out of the pond, restock
the filter with half new half old bioballs. Then take half new, half old
with you.

BV.

Old 24-05-2004, 06:09 PM
Judi9000

You have a really nice and helpful site. Thanks!!

Date: 5/24/04 9:27 AM EST
http://puregold.aquaria.net/pg/care/...tm#MOVING_FISH

Old 24-05-2004, 06:09 PM
Judi9000

I will ask the guys at the pet store where I'm buying the stock tank. Thanks.

Old 24-05-2004, 06:09 PM
Judi9000

I am still unsure about pump and filter for this temporary pond. I have only
used a pump that sits inside a filter box which sits at the bottom of both
ponds. I would like something that is on the outside of the pond that's easier
to clean, etc. Thanks for any ideas on that. Judi
Old 25-05-2004, 04:02 AM
RichToyBox

For the battery operated pump, go to wallyworld and in the sporting goods
section are air pumps for live wells on boats, and one of these is called
big bubbles. Runs for like 80 hours on one or two D cell batteries. Don't
cost much either, around $10.
--
RichToyBox