Old 29-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ jan JJsPond.us View Post
Green water, murky water, clear water, got a pond or fish problem....?
CHECK YOUR WATER QUALITY! Sorry for yelling, I'm just a frustrated KHA

Green water means you have a water quality problem.

Not necessarily a problem for koi always... could just be higher
phosphates alone. jay

Perhaps, but people need to check to know it's not because the pH is out of
whack, the buffering(KH) is gone, the nitrate is overly high, and/or
ammonia & nitrite are in the toxic range. All those readings excellent,
then we go back to patience or, for the less patient, UV. ;o) ~ jan

I too have this peoblem. The water looks brownish in colour. I did a 95% water change last week cause of this problem but its back again after just 7 days.

The pond is in full sun is about 3500l has 2 10000l filters to clear it and has about 26 goldfish in it of varying sizes. It also has shelves on either side for pond plants and a couple of pond lillies. There has been no rain fir about a week either.

Any ideas?
Old 05-06-2012, 04:18 PM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by unspokenchaos View Post
I have a pond which has recently (the last week), become quite murky
and I can't see the fish. We had stringy type algae about 2 weeks
ago. I am fairly new to this pond. It has also rained a lot in the
past week. Any help would be great!

Thanks,
John Marta
The murkiness in your water is suspended algae. Depending on the mix of algae, the nutrient levels, the amount of sunlight that hits the water and the time of year, the water may look deep green, greenish-brown or brownish-black.

The problem of controlling suspended algae in fish ponds is probably raised more often than any other question. I am sure it will not surprise you to learn that a comprehensive answer would take up many pages. Let me offer some straightforward solutions.

Algae are plants, and they require three things to grow: water, light and nutrients (phosphorus, in particular). Because the water is a given, let us consider the other two factors.

Murky water aguaverde Ponds (moderated) 1 25-05-2011 11:45 AM
Murky pond Jeanne Ponds (alternative) 0 29-05-2006 04:58 AM
murky water John H. Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 15-07-2005 10:41 AM
River Stones and Murky Water Greg Costanzo Ponds 4 10-06-2004 12:10 AM
Murky Pond Evil Noodle Ponds 0 02-05-2004 06:07 PM