Old 15-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Ro

Default Will Koi Stop Growing Based on size of pond?

Hi........
Several years back, I put in a 6 ft x 9 ft x 18 inch deep pond and stocked it with baby Koi and a few assorted goldfish. Most of the fish are small/medium......4-5 inches long or smaller. But my 3 oldest, Koi, beautiful specimens that they are, keep growing larger and larger...........now reaching the 13-14 inch long range.

Aside from their beauty and grace, Koi are know for their longevity.............I understand that Koi are considered "family Jewels" in the Asian cultures, and are handed down from generation to generation in Japan and China. The oldest one on record lived (which died 2 yrs ago) to be 268 yrs old, according to a video on ponding that I borrowed from the library.

My question for the group is:
I have given away some of my smaller gold fish to make more swim room for them as I'd like to keep them, but I was wondering if the Koi will stop growing based on the size of my pond or if I will have eventually part with them due to space problem?
Thanks.
RW
Old 15-07-2004, 07:03 PM
Newbie Bill

Hi - I believe ONE of the reasons 'the group' suggests such a large water capacity for koi is for just this reason. A couple of 3 inch koi obviously dont need 1100 gallons of water. But they will grow untill the conditions wont let them - and then begin to die, but probably not overnite. It is my understanding the same is essentially true of Goldfish. Although they are known for limiting their size based upon the container the typical 'limited growth' aquarium goldfish lives 2-3 years out of a possible 10-15. I am finally beginning to 'get it'. Although I have 'followed the rules' with goldfish, because I am heavily stocked, I undoubtedly will have to find a good home for possibly half or more of my fish at some point (or build a bigger pond. Some people have 2000 gallon ponds, 8 or 10 goldfish and a couple of koi. I used to think - 'But why'. Now I understand-with a smaller effort and the fewest problems (nature is not always gentle) their fish will grow old with them. Some will say you shouldnt have any koi, with the size of your pond. How many you keep you will have to decide. Why do you think so many ponders inevitably get bigger and bigger ponds They can part with their money easier than their fish.
Happing Ponding!
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

Old 15-07-2004, 07:03 PM
Dsybok

You could sell the large ones, which should bring top dollar for their size
and then start over with smaller ones. You can repeat this practice as often
as needed into the future.

I have a 8 by 5 by 1.5 to 2.5 foot deep pond and would anticipate that my
fish will grow to a large size, eventually too large to keep, but I cannot
make the pond any larger, so the fish will have to go. Not much I can do
about it, I have a 2500 square foot backyard and half of that is garage!

Old 16-07-2004, 03:04 AM
RichToyBox

The growth may be stunted some, but they will outgrow their pond, and when
they do, it becomes impossible to maintain good water quality and the fish
will start getting sick, and if you have a short power outage, they will die
of oxygen depletion. Sounds like it is time to start digging that new,
bigger pond. I started out with two small preforms, then added a larger
pond to the set, then the preforms started leaking and they came out and I
dug my larger pond. Then I went back to the first liner pond and raised the
sides about 8 inches or so. I have also sold some of the bigger fish that I
got when I started out, some over 30 inches. I increase the size of my
filters every year, and all to keep good water for high quality healthy
fish.
--
RichToyBox

Old 17-07-2004, 07:02 AM
Tom L. La Bron

Ro,

The KOI will not get to 3 feet long, but the size and
growth thing is controlled by waste in the water. If
you water is pristine your fish will continue to grow.

HTH

Tom L.L.