Old 14-07-2004, 12:09 PM
how

Default High Ph-Jan

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
How big a pond Rick, and what was the pH before adding BSoda?

I've got a 1000 gallon lily pond registering 9.0, I added 4 lbs of BSoda
over 4 days and had a pH of 9.0-9.2. ~ jan

Hi Jan,
Use up some KH with muriatic acid, 2oz per 1000 gallons per day until the pH
is 8.4 or the KH is 200 ppm, whichever comes first. Paraphrasing an
erstwhile recpond chemist you have excess carbonate and/or hydroxide and
using the acid will leave you with bicarbonate which will stabilize the pH.
HTH -_- how
no NEWS is good

Old 14-07-2004, 01:09 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Oh How, big sigh I was actually doing this, add BS to raise the buffer,
add acid, lowered pH to about 7.5-8 for a week and back up it would go.

For the last week now I've kept the water below the 3 yo cement blocks and
done countless partial water changes and it still bounces up. Very
frustrating and there is nothing in there but liner, plastic baskets/pots,
river rock holding down the weed fabric on the potted plants, plants,
algae, and 5 goldfish and maybe a few lingering tadpoles. Filter is all
plastic or pvc, 2 mag drive pumps, bell fountain. ~ jan

Old 16-07-2004, 07:03 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Update: I'm happy to report that after the last water change, the pond
popped and I walked out in the AM to find the water clear enough to see the
top of the plant baskets at the bottom and the pH was 8.0! ;o) ~ jan