Keeping Sturgeon

Old 15-07-2004, 02:02 PM
Biker2 \(Threadstopper\)

Default Keeping Sturgeon

I have just put two 16" diamond sturgeon in my 15ft dia x 4ft deep pond
already occupied by 18 good sized koi.

The supplier of the sturgeon was feeding them on floating koi pellets and
the sturgeon were getting their food supply from the surface where it sticks
to the sides of the pond.

Now my koi, or aptly named pond-pigs, scoff everything in sight - including
toast-n-marmite, lettuce and of course their 8mm high protein floating
pellets.

My problem is the sturgeon are a bit slow (thick) to get in on the act and I
fear that they are not getting enough food.

Last night we threw in about six large slugs which the koi usually spit out
after tasting. Are slugs sufficient for sturgeon or should I be looking for
alternative food and alternative feeding methods.?

Steve - Eastbourne U.K.

Old 15-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Lostin1999

"Biker2 (Threadstopper)" steve at pvl dot co dot uk wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Hi Steve..

By no means a definative solution....

what i do is i put in a few floating sticks, in one place.. and a little
sinking Sturgeoun food, then put the remaining sturgeon food in a fifferent
place.. while all the other fish are eating the fisrt lot.. as i say far
from perfect, because now the other fish are getting wise..

you really should however be feeding the sturgeon sinking food..

HTH

Lost

Old 15-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Biker2 \(Threadstopper\)

"Lostin1999" wrote in message

[...]

Hi Lost, thanks for your comments.

I have been feeding the sturgeon on some sinking food. For the first few
days I fooled the koi into feeding in one part of the pond while I dropped
some food into the opposite end of the pond. But as you say - the koi are
getting wise to this...

Steve

Old 15-07-2004, 10:03 PM
Sean Dinh

My catfish used to be a bottom feeder. After a few weeks competing with a
Cichlid, he would come to the surface after the 1st pellet dropped.

Old 16-07-2004, 02:04 AM
Moontanman

You are so lucky to be able to get sturgeon. Here in the States sturgeon are
difficult to find for sale even thouhgt we have the perfect (well almost)
aquarium/pond sturgeon, the shovelnose sturgeon. they don;'t get very big as
sturgeon go and tolerate warm water really well. I'm betting your koi are
slowly starving the sturgoen. i would keep on trying toe floating/sinking food
and make suire i give the koi as much as they will eat and put in plenty of
sinking food in the deepest place of my pond. If you feed teh koi floating food
in teh same place at teh same time as you feed the sturgeon in deep water maybe
the koi will be too lazy to dive down for the sinking food if floating is
available. maybe you could make a wall that would allow the koi to swim into
the shallow end of the pond while they eat and feed the sturgeon in deep water
while the wall impedes the koi just enouhg to keep them in the shallow end
while eating. I love the sturgeon much better than koi so i would just set up a
pond just for the sturgeon!
I breed dwarf crayfish for planted aquariums and grow trees in aquariums.
My groups