Old 17-07-2004, 12:02 PM
SueAndHerZoo

Default Floating scum?

Hi. I have a 4,000 gallon koi pond with UV, skimmer, biofilter, veggie
filter, and waterfall. it's probably 50% covered by lilies, hyacinth, and
parrot feathers, and it's in its fourth year. The plants are all blooming
more than I've ever seen before, and my water parameters are the best I've
ever seen, so I guess my pond has cycled into a healthy phase.
Unfortunately it's not as "gin clear" as it has been in the past, but I
guess that's part of having a "healthy" pond so that doesn't bother me.
What DOES bother me is the amound of floating scum I find out there mid day,
every day. When I come home for lunch and check on things, there is always
floating, dead algae, or at least that's what I think it is. It's
coagulated around all the plants, and I daily use a net and skim as much as
I can off. By the time I get home from work and the heat of the sun isn't
directly on the pond, the scum is gone. I constantly scoop debris off the
bottom, so there really isn't much there. Why do I have this floating
ugliness every day, and how can I get rid of it? I figured by July it would
have worked it's way out, but it's still coming daily.
Sue

Non-floating Plants Floating Root BB[_3_] Ponds (moderated) 9 29-07-2008 01:18 AM
Floating Plant's Floating roots? BB[_3_] Ponds (moderated) 8 04-07-2008 10:22 PM
Floating scum? SueAndHerZoo Ponds 5 18-07-2004 06:03 AM
Brown floating scum David Ponds 8 19-05-2004 03:12 PM
UV sterilizer: will it help limit surface scum? BruceKGeist Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 07:12 AM