Old 30-07-2004, 09:35 PM
Martha Gillier

Default Sick Goldfish

Dear Ponders;
Yesterday my large (7") blonde goldfish did not come around to feed when I
tossed some floating food pellets in. I went looking for it, moved the
floating plants around and found it all alone near the surface in the
shallows.
It was not socializing with the other goldfish, shubunkins and small koi. It
did not look very healthy.
-bloated,
-scales were sticking out like a pinecone at the belly undersection and some
looked like they had fallen off.
-it is a blonde and it looked like it was bleeding or hemeroging on the
underside
-lethargic ( allowing me to net it)
-not eating

I looked it up on the Koivet.com Doc Johnson.
The symptoms sound like "Dropsey" and the prognosis sound grim!!! :(
My concern is for this fish but also for the health of my other fish.
Has anyone had experience with this? Should I remove? Isolate? Put it out of
misery?
Thanks,
Martha

PS. I have not tested the water but we did have a lot of rain in SW Ontario
this week and there is a bloom of algea going on in the pond 2000gal.

Old 31-07-2004, 02:51 AM
RichToyBox

The prognosis for the fish is not good. I would get it out of the pond and
into isolation, since if it dies in the pond, the other fish could
cannibalize it and get the bacteria that is causing the dropsy. Do a Google
for dropsy with Dr. Solo as author. There is a web site Puregold that has a
treatment that has worked, but you would want the fish isolated for the
treatment.
--
RichToyBox

Old 31-07-2004, 07:36 AM
Karen

In article , "Martha Gillier"
writes:

The symptoms sound like "Dropsey" and the prognosis sound grim!!! :(
My concern is for this fish but also for the health of my other fish.
Has anyone had experience with this? Should I remove? Isolate?

remove it to a separate tank or tub (I used a 5 gallon pail) with an airstone
and raise the water temp to low 80s . put in a grain or two of epsom salt and
keep the water pristine. repeat the 2nd day and half the epsom salt on the 3rd
day. you should see a decrease in the appearance of the scales. keep the
water warm for at least a week and the fish separated for 2 or 3 weeks. do not
feed.

it's worked for me.

Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Old 31-07-2004, 12:14 PM
Phisherman

Isolate the fish. You'll be able to observe it better if you have an
aquarium. Could the fish be egg bound?

Old 01-08-2004, 05:02 PM

http://www.mu.edu/~buxtoni/puregold/...m%20the%20pond
http://www.mu.edu/~buxtoni/puregold/...ame.htm#dropsy

Ingrid

"Martha Gillier" wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Very Sick Goldfish pixi Ponds 4 18-02-2005 10:04 PM
Sick goldfish, advice requested Heather M. Fieldhouse Ponds 17 27-08-2004 03:48 PM
Sick goldfish, advice requested Heather M. Fieldhouse Ponds 0 25-08-2004 06:41 PM
common goldfish sick [email protected] Ponds 8 03-07-2004 03:05 PM
sick goldfish?? Steve Ponds 4 30-04-2003 12:56 PM