Old 28-08-2004, 05:27 AM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

OK, BV...weigh in

Jim

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

"Roy" wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 02:00:01 GMT, Crashj
wrote:

===On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 00:24:42 GMT, "RichToyBox"
wrote:
===
===The caution should be expressed.
===
=== The filters that cannot have water bypass the waterfall can be

kept alive and
===strong by the addition of a small amount of household ammonia each

day
===
===Ugh. Chemicals. Think I'll go get a beer and deal with the pond.

Speaking of beer and dealing with a pond........, today I was at
Petsmart to get 2 Red and White Comets and a shubunkin for the wifes
1/2 barrel. While there and looking at the Koi they just got in,
another customer and I started to talking about ponds etc. Filters and
pumps came into the conversation and seeding them with enzyme etc, and
he replied he always pours a can or two of beer into his pond as it
keeps the bacteria that eats the bad stuff thriving and
hungry..........He claims its the yeast and barley in it that makes it
work.......and he never gets coudy water, ever! .I could not say one
way or the other, but anyone ever hear of this, or is he just an idiot
with a hair brained theory, and in all reality is a pretty good ponder
on how he manages his pond and the beer actually does nothing....

Inquiring minds want to know if this has any merit to it.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Old 28-08-2004, 01:56 PM
Roy

On 28 Aug 2004 09:10:00 GMT, (Karen) wrote:

===In article ,
(Roy) writes:
===
===.He claims its the yeast and barley
===
===when I had a septic tank in Houston, I was told to keep it from needing to be
===cleaned, ad yeast down the toilet bowl. 20 years and I never had to have my
===septic tank cleaned out, so there may be something to it.
===
===Karen
===Zone 5
===Ashland, OH
===
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
===My Art Studio at
===http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
===for email remove the extra extention
===
===
===
===

I can see yeast inducing bacteria into a septic tank and even a pond,
but like Cashj ppointed out, the yeast that was in beer, has been
cooked and is probably expended and not capable of doing the things
yeast normally does.......at least it sounds that way, however a
packet or block or yeast should still be 100% viable and alive. I also
use yeast in my septic tank, since 1972 when it was installed and have
yet to need it pumped......

I think the fellow that told me about pouring beer into the pond has
the right concept or a good idea perhaps but wrong substance.......but
then again who knows
Old 31-08-2004, 08:33 PM
Andrew Burgess

I hope you will see my post about the need to pump the tank every year
(or so) to keep the overflow from ruining the drain field.

I would say inspect regularly, pump when needed. Adjust inspection
rate based on how fast the sediment and scum accumulate. I inspected
mine about every 5 years and just pumped at 19 years. Pump requirements
vary with the load on the system. You can inspect it yourself, get a book.

Old 31-08-2004, 09:49 PM
Roy

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 18:33:06 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Burgess
wrote:

===I hope you will see my post about the need to pump the tank every year
===(or so) to keep the overflow from ruining the drain field.
===
===I would say inspect regularly, pump when needed. Adjust inspection
===rate based on how fast the sediment and scum accumulate. I inspected
===mine about every 5 years and just pumped at 19 years. Pump requirements
===vary with the load on the system. You can inspect it yourself, get a book.

Oh, I checked mine and it was nothing to worry about. Hardly any load
on it and we are pretty darn concientous on what gets put down a
drain. Any solids like whats left from preparing food goes in the
compost pile, other than human waste and associated paper, and bath
water thats about all that goes into my septic system. For quite a
few years now the wash water goes separate from the rest of the waste
water. Why put good grey water in a septic tank when it can be used
for nourishing plants etc, and cut down on a water bill in the prcess.

I would think if you had to pump your tank every year its not being
utilized properly, or it was improperly installed to begin with, or
your soil does not perk to good. There should not be any need to pump
a septic tank yearly. A drain field is just that, a means to allow
liquid or so called cleaned waters free of solids to drain or leach
out into. Its when you get solids pushing into the drain fields that
cause them to clog up.........

I can agree with the inspect and pump when needed concept, and my
frequency on checking now is about every 5 years or so.......
Old 26-02-2011, 12:07 PM
Registered User

This should be cautious says. If the pond has a waterfall filter, it would be very easy to bypass the waterfall. The biofalls filter is at the top of the waterfall, it is difficult to bypass the waterfall, to prevent their escape. For biofalls type filter would be a good idea to go with some form of recycling or aeration system, but I suspect a lot of things.
Pond Liners