Old 25-08-2004, 04:37 PM
Newbie Bill

Default Shutting off pump

I frequently see suggestions that people shut off their pump to confirm
leaks. I never see any mention of damage to the bio filter. Dont the bio
bugs begin to die within three to four hours? If so I wonder why it is
rarely mentioned, since this could create significant new problems.
Thanxx
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

Old 25-08-2004, 06:38 PM

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:37:02 GMT, "Newbie Bill"
wrote:

I frequently see suggestions that people shut off their pump to confirm
leaks. I never see any mention of damage to the bio filter. Dont the bio
bugs begin to die within three to four hours? If so I wonder why it is
rarely mentioned, since this could create significant new problems.
Thanxx
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

IMHO, if you are concerned about the filter:
1. if you have a submersible filter and pump, just disconnect the
outlet, and let the water go right back into the pond.

2. If you have a barrow/above water filter, fill with pond water and
toss in an aeration stone. Make it doesn't dry out.

3. Don't worry, the pond will cycle again later, not at deadly to the
fish as the pond going dry due to a leak.

hth,

tom

************* Got a Site? ****************
http://www.LinkSkyRise.com
Add your site to our Site for Free

Old 25-08-2004, 09:27 PM
Newbie Bill

Thanxx. That makes good sense. Both of my filter are gravity upflow
filters, so the airstone would not be possible, but I get the idea. Since I
dont have one - I thought many waterfall filters (with no skimmer) were
above pond level and would drain if the pump was cut off. As much as
anything I was just curious about never seeing an admonition about possible
biofilter damage and possible suggestions (like your's) to minimize it. It
seems if you had a well stocked fish pond killing the filter would be a very
bad thing. Thanxx again.
Bill Brister

Old 26-08-2004, 02:24 AM
RichToyBox

The caution should be expressed. If the pond has a filter before the
waterfall, then it would be fairly easy to bypass teh waterfall. The
biofalls type filters are at the top of the waterfall and therefore
difficult to bypass the waterfall and keep them running. For the biofalls
type filters it would be a good idea to build them with some form of
recirculation or aeration system, but I doubt if many have anything. The
filters that cannot have water bypass the waterfall can be kept alive and
strong by the addition of a small amount of household ammonia each day to
feed the bacteria if there is also oxygen available for the bacteria.
--
RichToyBox
http://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/index.html

news

Old 27-08-2004, 04:00 AM
Crashj

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 00:24:42 GMT, "RichToyBox"
wrote:

The caution should be expressed.

The filters that cannot have water bypass the waterfall can be kept alive and
strong by the addition of a small amount of household ammonia each day

Ugh. Chemicals. Think I'll go get a beer and deal with the pond.
--
Crashj

Old 27-08-2004, 04:18 AM
Roy

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 02:00:01 GMT, Crashj
wrote:

===On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 00:24:42 GMT, "RichToyBox"
wrote:
===
===The caution should be expressed.
===
=== The filters that cannot have water bypass the waterfall can be kept alive and
===strong by the addition of a small amount of household ammonia each day
===
===Ugh. Chemicals. Think I'll go get a beer and deal with the pond.

Speaking of beer and dealing with a pond........, today I was at
Petsmart to get 2 Red and White Comets and a shubunkin for the wifes
1/2 barrel. While there and looking at the Koi they just got in,
another customer and I started to talking about ponds etc. Filters and
pumps came into the conversation and seeding them with enzyme etc, and
he replied he always pours a can or two of beer into his pond as it
keeps the bacteria that eats the bad stuff thriving and
hungry..........He claims its the yeast and barley in it that makes it
work.......and he never gets coudy water, ever! .I could not say one
way or the other, but anyone ever hear of this, or is he just an idiot
with a hair brained theory, and in all reality is a pretty good ponder
on how he manages his pond and the beer actually does nothing....

Inquiring minds want to know if this has any merit to it.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Old 27-08-2004, 05:28 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I frequently see suggestions that people shut off their pump to confirm
leaks. I never see any mention of damage to the bio filter. Dont the bio
bugs begin to die within three to four hours? If so I wonder why it is
rarely mentioned, since this could create significant new problems.
Thanxx
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

Quite often, the pond is new, so the bugs aren't even up and running.
~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 27-08-2004, 08:36 PM
San Diego Joe

wrote:

===On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 00:24:42 GMT, "RichToyBox"
wrote:
===
[...]

I'm not sure I'm willing to share my beer with anyone - particularly fish.
Let them drink Coors!

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.