Old 01-09-2004, 03:44 AM
Ka30P

Default winter water temperatures

Roark did a bit on water and winter in response to a question and it makes a
pretty interesting read.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
From: Roark7
Subject: Bubbling bottoms and super cooling
Date: 1997/10/31

David Swarbrick wrote:

Bubblers are recommended for maintaining an ice free portion of a pond
over winter, and maintaining good oxygen levels. I have also seen it
suggested here that it should not be placed on the bottom of the pond,
but raised so that the circulation it induces does not disturb the water
at the every bottom because this merely results in the very cold water
by the ice being distributed all over.

I question this.

Yep... And I don't blame you one bit. I had the same doubts and voiced the
same arguments that you shortly share because it *is* counter-intuitive...
until you start looking hard.

First, warm water rises, and cold water sinks. The water at the bottom
will always circulate if there is a temperature difference. Frozen water
floats. I suppose there must be a point just before water freezes where
the situation turns on its head, but I assume also that this is only at
the point very near freezing.

I had major questions about the physics aspect of this whole "winter pond"
thingy as well. I did some asking and a bit of research and came up with three
things which cause the inverse stratification effect. These are, in ascending
order of importance:

- The native heat of the earth
- The physics of water going from a liquid to a solid
- Surface cooling due to winds and cold air.

I'll rattle through each contributing effect in detail below:

- Heat of the Earth:
It turns out that the earthern bottom of a 4-foot deep pond stays right around
34-38 degrees even though the outside air temperature drops much lower. The
simple reason for this is the Earth is slightly exothermic. As you dig down
you hit a point where more heat is being released by the earth than can be
pulled-away by wind, night sky, etc. This is why you bury water pipes below
the "frost line". This heating effect is small in ponds, but it *is* there.
The earth *is* pumping a bit of heat energy into it all the time. The other
effects (below) tend to magnify this effect into something useful by keeping
this slightly warmer water on the bottom.

- Physics of Water:
It turns out that water doesn't move upwards because it is "warm" nor sink when
it becomes "cold". A little thought reveals this behavior is strictly a
function of density. Warmer water *tends* to be less dense so it rises... but
this isn't gospel. An interesting kink in the water density -vs- temperature
curve shows-up just prior to 32 degrees F. At the pre-freezing point (32.8
F), water undergoes a major density change. As it cools it becomes *less*
dense than water which is just a fraction of a degree warmer. This difference
is fairly large. Being lighter than the surrounding water, near-freezing water
*rises*. (This is one reason frozen pipes tend to burst. The density of the
water decreases, the mass stays the same, so the result is volumetric
expansion which splits pipes with ease.) The degree of final bouyancy is
controlled to a large part by the dissolved oxygen content of the water. The
more dissolved O2, the greater the expansion once the freezing point has been
reached. Since water at the *top* of the pond tends to have a greater O2
concentration, this further contributes to stratification. Near-freezing
water moves toward the surface, and then, having reached the surface, freezes
completely.

- Surface Cooling Effects
This one is pretty obvious, but its worth restating to put it in context.
Given a sub-freezing day and a brisk wind, its a simple matter to pull more
heat from the top layer of water than can be replaced by natural convection.
Once the top starts to freeze, heat loss to ambient and basic water physics
insures the top will *stay* cooler than the bottom. If this wasn't true,
you'd never see a thin coat of ice.... the pond would instead just hit a point
where the entire thing suddenly became a solid chunk of ice.

It seems to me that if the air being pumped in is warmer anyway (in my
case, from inside an unheated shed), then the balance will be about
right.

Your idea about pumping warm air into the water isn't a bad one, but it will
take a lot of warm air to make a dent in the ponds temperature.... far more
than you could reasonably produce. Pumping a large amount of air in would
also create currents which the fish would need to fight or at least adjust
for. Hibernating fish are in no position to do this and forcing them into
this situation uses energy they will need during the rest of the winter.

For keeping a hole in the ice however, you could likely use this warm-air idea
to your benefit. Put an airstone a foot under the water and run warm air to
it. Bear in mind that you will lose lots of heat in just a short run between
your shed and the airstone.

Also if the problem with water under ice is the lack of oxygen and build
up of waste products under the ice, then the more chance the bubbler has
to oxygenate the water and take away the foul water the better.

The oxygen demands of fish near the freezing point are very, very low. This is
a good thing because I've got a feeling there isn't much oxygen available once
you near the peak of winter. Fortunately, decay and decomposition of wastes
by bacteria has nearly stopped as well which relieves a decent portion of the
oxygen load. Very little oxygen is needed in a winter pond.

During a really *cold* winter, I think the idea of a full-blown bubble system
would tend to upset a natural balance which Nature clearly went out of her way
to establish. Having said that however, I can see a very definite *benefit*
to using such a system as the air temp starts to push into the upper 30's and
40's. By introducing additional air and inducing water motion, you'd be
putting lots of needed oxygen into the water as well as helping the pond to
absorb ambient heat. Fish coming out of their winter sleep wouldn't be
oxygen-stressed as well as being thin, worn and badly in need in of a shower.
From what I'm given to understand, most fish have no problems during the
actual *wintering*... its the *transition* from hibernation to normal
metabolism which gets them. Your bubbler could be a great tool during that
transition period.

So.... thats my 2 cents on the subject. YMMV.

Roark --- wouldn't know a real winter if it bit him in the rumpus!
Ventura, Ca.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 01-09-2004, 04:25 AM
RichToyBox

There are a few areas that Roark is mistaken, though his dissertation is
reasonably close. One the point of maximum density of water is at 39
degrees, so as long as the temperature is warmer than 39, the warm water is
at the top, and when the temperature of the pond drops below 39 degrees, the
warmest water is at the bottom. The earth does continue to warm the bottom
of the pond with the heat being transported to the surface where wind,
evaporation, and cold temperatures rob the heat from the surface. When the
amount of heat transferred is not sufficient to keep up, then the
temperature at the surface reaches 32 degree water, and through continued
cooling becomes 32 degree ice. At the water ice interface, the temperature
is always 32 degrees. When ice forms, it expands about 9% which is why ice
floats with about 10% of the cube out of the water.
--
RichToyBox
http://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/index.html

Old 01-09-2004, 08:16 AM
George

From: Roark7
Date: 1997/10/31

David Swarbrick wrote:

Bubblers are recommended for maintaining an ice free portion of a pond
over winter, and maintaining good oxygen levels. I have also seen it
suggested here that it should not be placed on the bottom of the pond,
but raised so that the circulation it induces does not disturb the water
at the every bottom because this merely results in the very cold water
by the ice being distributed all over.

I question this.

Yep... And I don't blame you one bit. I had the same doubts and voiced the
same arguments that you shortly share because it *is* counter-intuitive...
until you start looking hard.

Actually, if your pond is deep, like mine (45 inches or more), the circulation,
which goes from bottom to top, will draw the residual warmth in the ground below
the frost line to the upper levels of the pond, and moderate the water
temperature. I ran a bubbler from the bottom all winter last year and only had
ice two days (less than 1/8 inch thick, at that, and only on one end).

[...]

I will add here that the residual heat of the earth is called the geothermal
gradient, and varies from place to place, and increases with depth. But at
shallow depth, it is affected by surface temperatureand wind chill. For
instance, at the latitude where I live (38 degrees), the air in a cave stays in
the vicinity of 54 degrees F, depending on air currents within the cave, which
depend on the connectivity of cave passages, and the number of surface
entrances, all of which can affect the transfer the heat to the surface,and visa
versa. Travel north of this latitude, and the temperature is lower. Travel
south of this latitude and the temperature is higher. With regard to ponds, the
surface temperature has an effect on the soil, but only to within a certain
depth. That depth is called the frost line. Below that depth, the soil will
not freeze, but will retain it's residual warmth, and increase with increasing
depth. The frost line varies with latitude. At my latitude, the frost line is
at 22 inches. In order to keep buried utilities from freezing (such as water
lines), the local building codes required the utilities to be buried six inches
below the frost line, at 28 inches. If you live at 38 Degrees north latitude,
and your pond is 45 inches deep, then the bottom 17 inches will not freeze
(unless, of course, you have an abnormally cold winter, in which case, your pond
can actually freeze solid, but this is rare in most cases). Lat year my pond
only had a small surface crust for two days, and then stayed ice free the rest
of the winter.

[...]

Unless, of course, you draw warmer water up from below, which is why I place the
air stone at the bottom in the winter. Some have suggested that drawing the
warmer water from the bottom to the top will cause the temperature of the water
at the bottom to drop. But that doesn't happen if the pond is below the frost
line because the surrounding soil will release it's residual heat into the water
as the warmer water is drawn towards the surface. Of course, if your air supply
is outside, and the temperature gets very cold, pumping that cold air into the
water could affect the water temperature. The overall temperture of the pond
may drop slightly, but usually not enough to adversely affect the fish unless
the air temperatuere stays below freezing for a long period of time (in which
case, you might consider keeping your air pump indoors and running the hose out
to the pond. I know a guy who has installed a buried air hose to his pond from
his basement, where his air pump is located. So in the winter, he is actually
pumping heated air into the pond).

[...]

That is true. However, as I stated above, pumping cold air into the water can
adversely affect the water temperature. So, the warm air won't heat the water,
but will simply prevent it from making the water colder than cold air will.

Pumping a large amount of air in would
also create currents which the fish would need to fight or at least adjust
for. Hibernating fish are in no position to do this and forcing them into
this situation uses energy they will need during the rest of the winter.

For keeping a hole in the ice however, you could likely use this warm-air idea
to your benefit. Put an airstone a foot under the water and run warm air to
it. Bear in mind that you will lose lots of heat in just a short run between
your shed and the airstone.

An alternative would be to purchase an electric deicer for about $50-$60:

http://www.pondsolutions.com/pond-heaters.htm

Also if the problem with water under ice is the lack of oxygen and build
up of waste products under the ice, then the more chance the bubbler has
to oxygenate the water and take away the foul water the better.

Whether you use a de-icer or not, it is always a good idea to add air to the
pond in the winter time for the reasons you state above.

The oxygen demands of fish near the freezing point are very, very low. This
is
a good thing because I've got a feeling there isn't much oxygen available once
you near the peak of winter. Fortunately, decay and decomposition of wastes
by bacteria has nearly stopped as well which relieves a decent portion of the
oxygen load. Very little oxygen is needed in a winter pond.

Unless it freezes over, in which case, there is no oxygen exchange, and the fish
could die.

During a really *cold* winter, I think the idea of a full-blown bubble system
would tend to upset a natural balance which Nature clearly went out of her way
to establish. Having said that however, I can see a very definite *benefit*
to using such a system as the air temp starts to push into the upper 30's and
40's. By introducing additional air and inducing water motion, you'd be
putting lots of needed oxygen into the water as well as helping the pond to
absorb ambient heat. Fish coming out of their winter sleep wouldn't be
oxygen-stressed as well as being thin, worn and badly in need in of a shower.
From what I'm given to understand, most fish have no problems during the
actual *wintering*... its the *transition* from hibernation to normal
metabolism which gets them. Your bubbler could be a great tool during that
transition period.

It is also important to transition your fish to food that is easier to digest
when preparing the pond for winter as the microbes in their gut that helps in
digestion will eventually go dormant.

Old 04-09-2004, 02:12 AM
Rick

I have bin told to just put one of those heaters that the farmers use to
keep fresh water for there cattle from freezing in to my pond. They have a
built in thermostat and only turn on when the water reaches 33 or 34
degrees. I have also bin told that you should not let the pond freeze over
because of the gas build up and not the lake of oxygen. Are you saying that
I sill should put in a Bubbler?

"George" wrote in message
.. .

Old 04-09-2004, 02:59 AM
RichToyBox

Rick,

The bubbler will keep a hole in the ice for quite a while and is a whole lot
cheaper to run than the electric stock tank heaters. It is true that the
fish don't need much oxygen in their winter stupor, and cold water holds a
lot of oxygen, so the bubbler is probably not necessary for oxygen, but it
does help to drive off other gasses. If the pond does completely freeze
over one night, the stock tank heater can be put in and then will melt a
hole and maintain the hole open until warmer weather returns.
--
RichToyBox
http://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/index.html

"Rick" wrote in message
ink.net...
I have bin told to just put one of those heaters that the farmers use to
keep fresh water for there cattle from freezing in to my pond. They have

built in thermostat and only turn on when the water reaches 33 or 34
degrees. I have also bin told that you should not let the pond freeze

over
because of the gas build up and not the lake of oxygen. Are you saying

that
I sill should put in a Bubbler?

"George" wrote in message
.. .

Old 04-09-2004, 11:54 AM
George

"Rick" wrote in message
ink.net...
I have bin told to just put one of those heaters that the farmers use to
keep fresh water for there cattle from freezing in to my pond. They have a
built in thermostat and only turn on when the water reaches 33 or 34
degrees. I have also bin told that you should not let the pond freeze over
because of the gas build up and not the lake of oxygen. Are you saying that
I sill should put in a Bubbler?

If you have large fish, or a lot of them, then yes you need to add air to the
water to keep it oxygenated. I do have a de-icer, and use it when the weather
gets really bad, but haven't had to use it much since I built the pond, because
we've only had two really cold days in the last two years. Here is a link to
the de-icer that I have:

http://www.pondsolutions.com/pond-heaters.htm

Scroll down the page and look at the first de-icer shown. That is the one that
I have.

"George" wrote in message
.. .

Old 04-09-2004, 03:09 PM
Tom L. La Bron

Rick,

I don't have that much problem with total ice cover and
according the Farmer's Almanac this winter is suppose
to be mild in my region, but there have been winters
with total solid ice cover.

Over the years I have checked trough de-icers and they
usually run 1,000 to 1,500 watts and the thermostats
that some of them have turn on between 38 degrees F. to
34 degrees F. depending on the brand. Needless to say,
the cost of running one can be high, so I have used
airstones.

The airstone may not keep a hole in the ice but it will
cause an escape for the air through the ice which is
what needed. One of the years when the ponds froze
over sold I came out and told myself, "what a waste,"
because there was no hole. Upon closer inspection I
found that the air was making its way up through
channels created as the ice froze. One of the
important things that you have to remember when using
an airstone is to have the airstone just below where
the thickness of the ice will accumulate, you don't
want to disturb the water layers at the bottom of the
pond, so keep it high in upper level of your pond. I
have switched over to an air blower so my airstones
this year will only be about 6 inches below the surface
of the water, which for me is more than enough.

Good luck with what ever technique you decide to use.

HTH

Tom L.L.

Rick wrote:
I have bin told to just put one of those heaters that the farmers use to
keep fresh water for there cattle from freezing in to my pond. They have a
built in thermostat and only turn on when the water reaches 33 or 34
degrees. I have also bin told that you should not let the pond freeze over
because of the gas build up and not the lake of oxygen. Are you saying that
I sill should put in a Bubbler?

"George" wrote in message
.. .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

Old 06-09-2004, 09:41 AM
Rick

Tom
How big of a bubbler do I get? Looked a Wally Word and the biggest one is
for a 40 to 60 gal tank. my pond is give or take 1200 gal.

Rick wrote:
I have bin told to just put one of those heaters that the farmers use to
keep fresh water for there cattle from freezing in to my pond. They

have a
built in thermostat and only turn on when the water reaches 33 or 34
degrees. I have also bin told that you should not let the pond freeze

over
because of the gas build up and not the lake of oxygen. Are you saying

that
I sill should put in a Bubbler?

"George" wrote in message
.. .

Old 07-09-2004, 01:12 AM
Tom L. La Bron

Rick,

One year I did buy a Luft pump from drsfostersmith.com
which is pretty powerful, but other air pumps I get I
usually get from Wally-World, and I buy the $9.95 unit.
I also use a T-connector and bring both of the outlets
into one hose and add my airstone.

Tom L.L.

Rick wrote:

I have bin told to just put one of those heaters that the farmers use to
keep fresh water for there cattle from freezing in to my pond. They

have a

built in thermostat and only turn on when the water reaches 33 or 34
degrees. I have also bin told that you should not let the pond freeze

over

because of the gas build up and not the lake of oxygen. Are you saying

that

I sill should put in a Bubbler?

"George" wrote in message
t...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~

Old 07-09-2004, 01:16 AM
RichToyBox

It is not the size of the bubbler that is important. You are not trying to
achieve filtration by air driven under gravel filters, you are trying to
keep the top surface of the water disturbed to prevent freezing over. Any
of the pumps will work, just put a big airstone on the line, suspend the
airstone a few inches from the top, and let it do the work of a heater.
--
RichToyBox
http://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/index.html

ink.net...

Rick wrote:
I have bin told to just put one of those heaters that the farmers use

keep fresh water for there cattle from freezing in to my pond. They

have a
built in thermostat and only turn on when the water reaches 33 or 34
degrees. I have also bin told that you should not let the pond freeze

over
because of the gas build up and not the lake of oxygen. Are you

saying
that
I sill should put in a Bubbler?

"George" wrote in message
.. .

From: Roark7
Date: 1997/10/31

David Swarbrick wrote:

[...]

From what I'm given to understand, most fish have no problems

during the

actual *wintering*... its the *transition* from hibernation to normal
metabolism which gets them. Your bubbler could be a great tool

during

that

transition period.

It is also important to transition your fish to food that is easier to

digest

when preparing the pond for winter as the microbes in their gut that

helps

in

digestion will eventually go dormant.

Seed germination temperatures JB United Kingdom 10 26-02-2005 04:46 PM
[IBC] critical temperatures marty haber Bonsai 0 16-02-2004 05:12 PM
Pond Temperatures Steve Ponds 22 27-01-2004 07:27 PM
Lethal temperatures to bugs? Amy Chan Roses 1 12-11-2003 05:12 PM
color temperatures - actinic vs others Pete in the Colorado Mtns Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:17 AM