Old 24-01-2003, 11:40 PM
Just Me \Koi\

Default Dodged a bullet...maybe

I am glad that we have you guys to remind us here in southern California
that this is indeed winter and not summer. The high here today in Cucamonga
is suppose to be in the low 80s. Maybe I can ship some free heat over there
to you all in return for some cold air so my pregnant fiancée can stop
turning on the AC.

--
_______________________________________
"Architecture is the ultimate erotic 'object'."

wrote in message ...
Hi Jim got to 5 in Huntsville Alabama last night. This is too cold!
My pond is frozen and I have 5 ft icicles on the eaves of the greenhouse.

Bob

Phyllis and Jim Hurley wrote:

Hi Bonnie,

I used to live in Syracuse...I recognize your single digit temp!

We got to 14 degrees last night. That is the lowest we have had in the

18
years we have been in MS...and they predict lower tomorrow, perhaps in

the
single digits. I did leave our water running on the outside-wall sinks.

will find out on Sunday or so if the freeze got any of my pipes.

May yours hold. (And may the celery make it through our freeze.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at:

jogathon.net
"Bonnie Espenshade" wrote in message
Phyllis and Jim Hurley wrote:
Mississippi is the home of warmth...not.

We are looking at a hard freeze over the next few days. As we

climbed
into
bed, I realized that I had not covered our outside fawcets OR

drained
the
water pipes that carry water to our pond and garden. The entry for

water
into the pond regulated by a toilet float and self filling...no

hassle
normally. In a hard freeze, however, some of my exposed piping can

freeze.
I have installed drain points so I can empty the system. In 19

degree
temps
and pich dark, I began to cover the fawcets and to remove the drain

caps. I
had to pour water over the fawcet controlling the water to the pond.

It
came unfrozen fast. The water drained from the low points. I will

find
out
with the thaw if other portions of the pipe froze and split, but it

looks OK
at the moment. I have replacing plastic pipe.

May your pipes keep flowing or drain.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at:

jogathon.net

Hi Jim,
I know all about frozen pipes. Our one bathroom has pipes
on the outside wall. Whenever the temps go below 10 degrees
we leave the water run or the pipes will freeze.
The temp was 7 degrees this morning and that is cold but I
was misreading it. I hadn't turned the light on to read the
digital gauge and I thought it was 75 degrees and then I
clicked it for inside reading and the temp was 56.8 - it
dawned on me to check the reading again. It was 7.5 outside
and 56.8 in my computer room. That is too cold to work -
someone must have played with the thermostat!

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 25-01-2003, 03:42 AM
Nedra

No trade - at least not from me. I really really don't like the So.Cal
weather. Not enough variation for me. I like snowy weather...
fire in the fireplace, etc.

Nedra

Old 25-01-2003, 04:22 AM
Just Me \Koi\

I went to school in South East Virginia, while right now the warm California
weather may sound enticing, I must tell you that I too so much miss the
seasonal changes of the Tidewater area. I can remember many drives along
the skyline drive in northern Virginia, drives through Colonial
Williamsburg, and the variety of going from one place to the next.

Anyway, I hear you and agree with you on the seasonal changes.

--
_______________________________________
"Architecture is the ultimate erotic 'object'."
Bernard Tschumi, "Architecture & Transgression"

hlink.net...

Old 25-01-2003, 06:28 AM
Nedra

SE Virginia - Tidewater ... Colonial Williamsburg?
Wow ... you did take a hit, didn't you? At least you can
come back East for vacations ;-) lol

Nedra in Missouri

Just Me "Koi" wrote in message
I went to school in South East Virginia, while right now the warm

California
weather may sound enticing, I must tell you that I too so much miss the
seasonal changes of the Tidewater area. I can remember many drives along
the skyline drive in northern Virginia, drives through Colonial
Williamsburg, and the variety of going from one place to the next.

Anyway, I hear you and agree with you on the seasonal changes.

--
"Architecture is the ultimate erotic 'object'."
Bernard Tschumi, "Architecture & Transgression"

hlink.net...

Old 25-01-2003, 02:56 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Hi Bob,

That is serious cold! Our 14 was the lowest in the area in a decade. I
should find out in a day or so about the pipes. We are up to 29 degrees
today.