Old 05-09-2004, 06:53 PM
Roy

Default Pump for cleaning out pond

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 16:18:22 GMT, "Harriett Wright"
wrote:

===I use a shop vac to suck the yuck off the bottom of my pond, but it fills up
===in about nine seconds flat, and then I have to dump it and start over, a
===tedious and tiring process. What I want is a pump with a hose or wand on
===one end to suck mucky water from the bottom, and a hose on the other end to
===deposit it where I want it. I guess it might be a small version of the
===industrial pumps used to drain water from flooded areas. Does anyone know
===about such a thing?
===
===Thanks,
===Harriett
===

After reading the threads on sucking up mud etc out of the ponds
bottom, I had an idea and tried my "Sand Sucker" A sand sucker is
nothing more than an air powered vaccuum (uses air from an air
compressor), used in foundries to suck loose sand out of molds, and in
industry on a larger scale for emptying drums etc of the contents. My
sand sucker has a 1 1/2" diam inlet tube (flexible) and discharges out
through a cloth filter bag. I used a bag I fashioned from an old
swiming pool skimmer net I had laying around, which wound up about as
large as a 5 gal pail would be sizewise. It worked great. Water was
actually forced out of the debri with the exhaust air during the
process and only the sediment was retained in the bag, which was easy
enough to empty. HOlding up the thing with 5 gal of damp wet muck is a
job though, but perhaps an extension hose on it would wok so you cold
place the bag on the ponds edge during cleanup.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Old 06-09-2004, 01:44 AM
RichToyBox

I use a swimming pool vacuum leaf trap, vacuum hose, and an 1800 or 2400 gph
mag drive pump and recirculate the water to the pond, or to the filter. You
can see it at http://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/pondpage4.html. It works
great, gets rocks, sand, oyster shell, leaves, some algae, and a lot of
other debris.
--
RichToyBox
http://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/index.html

ink.net...

Old 06-09-2004, 05:14 PM
Pinkpggy

We have used a shop vac, a muck vac and also the valve that we have. But
truthfully the easiest and fastest way to clean out the muck on the bottom is
to use our irragation pump. It has a filter on the end of the hose, so it
sucks up the muck on the bottom great, and we have several hoses going in all
directions so lots of the yard gets water that way.
Jan
"Our Pond" Page
http://hometown.aol.com/pinkpggy/index.html

Old 06-09-2004, 06:32 PM
Wilson

"Harriett Wright" wrote in message
ink.net...
I use a shop vac to suck the yuck off the bottom of my pond, but it fills

up
in about nine seconds flat, and then I have to dump it and start over, a
tedious and tiring process. What I want is a pump with a hose or wand on
one end to suck mucky water from the bottom, and a hose on the other end

deposit it where I want it. I guess it might be a small version of the
industrial pumps used to drain water from flooded areas. Does anyone know
about such a thing?

Thanks,
Harriett

I clean my stepmothers pond with my shop vac which has a side outlet that
can be opened.....I then just put the vac on it's side propped up and I
never have to empty. I couldn't imagine having to shut it off and dumping
it every few seconds.

Dave

Old 07-09-2004, 04:43 AM
martymonster

I like your thinking Wilson, seems so obvious ... good idea.

Harriett, don't know if you saw it already but there is a device for sale
that works on a similar principle as Roy described i believe. This attaches
to a garden hose, from which water flows backwards through a pipe, away from
the pond creating a vacuum that draws out the pond water/waste. It does drop
the level of the pond a bit:

http://www.muckvac.com/

I got one on ebay for less than $50.
It's not amazing but it does work. Good for silt or small stuff, larger
leaves kind of choke it.
It's much more effective without the the brush attachment.

-mart

. com...

Old 07-09-2004, 09:45 PM
Harriett Wright

I would be very tempted by this gadget except for what you say about leaves.
Leaves are a major issue around here (see my reply to Wilson).

Harriett

"martymonster" wrote in message
news
I like your thinking Wilson, seems so obvious ... good idea.

Harriett, don't know if you saw it already but there is a device for sale
that works on a similar principle as Roy described i believe. This

attaches
to a garden hose, from which water flows backwards through a pipe, away

from
the pond creating a vacuum that draws out the pond water/waste. It does

drop
the level of the pond a bit:

http://www.muckvac.com/

I got one on ebay for less than $50.
It's not amazing but it does work. Good for silt or small stuff, larger
leaves kind of choke it.
It's much more effective without the the brush attachment.

-mart

. com...

Old 26-02-2011, 12:10 PM
Registered User

We have used the shop V, a V silt, but also our valves. But the easiest and fastest faithfully cleared the bottom of the sludge is to use our irragation pump. It has a filter on the end of the hose, so it sucked the silt bottom of the large number of hose so we will have a lot in all directions have the courtyard of the water way.
Pond Liners