Old 05-02-2003, 03:29 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Frozen Pipes?

Do the pipes buried in the ground need to be emptied for the winter to
prevent bursting? I am contemplating a series of valves in my design that
will allow me to close the pond off, and use the pump to suck the water out
of the pipes. I figured this would be good for cleaning and for winterizing.

Do you think it is an unnecessary expense?

--
BenignVanilla
tibetanbeefgarden.com

Remove MY SPLEEN to email me.

Old 05-02-2003, 06:00 PM
John Rutz

BenignVanilla wrote:
Do the pipes buried in the ground need to be emptied for the winter to
prevent bursting? I am contemplating a series of valves in my design that
will allow me to close the pond off, and use the pump to suck the water out
of the pipes. I figured this would be good for cleaning and for winterizing.

Do you think it is an unnecessary expense?

--
BenignVanilla
tibetanbeefgarden.com
x-no-archive: yes

Remove MY SPLEEN to email me.

BV

my current setup has the pipes running just under or at the surface of
the water with no way to drain em
when the pond ices over the pipes are encased in the ice so far no
breakage in the pipes in the yard some of the garden piping is at or
just above ground level with most anywhere from 1- 12 in down when it
gets below 10 degrees I have had the above ground pipes crack but so far
none of the underground pipe has cracked.

hope theis helps

--
John Rutz

I'm not Porg am not am not am so
see my pond at:
http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 05-02-2003, 08:56 PM
Paul in Redland

Depends. Where do you live. If the ground freezes to the depth that the
pipes are buried, they'll freeze also.
Paul

"BenignVanilla" wrote in
message ...

Old 05-02-2003, 10:05 PM
John Hines

"BenignVanilla" wrote:

Do the pipes buried in the ground need to be emptied for the winter to
prevent bursting? I am contemplating a series of valves in my design that
will allow me to close the pond off, and use the pump to suck the water out
of the pipes. I figured this would be good for cleaning and for winterizing.

I'd say at least partially, which is to say so they have some air space,
so that the water can expand. (cold water is larger than ice, so
freezing isn't the problem)

If you had a section of pipe, that for example, had a closed valve at
each end, the pipe would burst when the water expanded close to
freezing, like it does in plumbing.

So I'd suggest opening the valves, and letting as much water out as
possible.
Old 06-02-2003, 12:40 AM
RichToyBox

If the plumbing can be made to have a winter return, slightly below water
level, and the pump left running, then water will not freeze in plumbing. A
tee fitting with valve for the waterfall and any fountains and spitters can
go one way, and the winter return with valve the other way. The waterfall,
etc. can be turned off with a valve. If a drain valve is placed near the
tee, then the waterfall piping can be back drained, and all the flowing
water will be recirculating without the exposure to waterfalls. I think
that keeping the system running is good, and keeps some bacterial action
going in the filter, others disagree. I think that it depends on location.
I would definitely drain all pipes, bead filters, etc. if I turned the pump
off.
--
RichToyBox

"Paul in Redland" wrote in message
Depends. Where do you live. If the ground freezes to the depth that the
pipes are buried, they'll freeze also.
Paul

"BenignVanilla" wrote in
message ...
Do the pipes buried in the ground need to be emptied for the winter to
prevent bursting? I am contemplating a series of valves in my design

that
will allow me to close the pond off, and use the pump to suck the water

out
of the pipes. I figured this would be good for cleaning and for

winterizing.

Do you think it is an unnecessary expense?

--
BenignVanilla
tibetanbeefgarden.com
x-no-archive: yes

Remove MY SPLEEN to email me.

Safety of Copper Pipes? BenignVanilla Ponds 37 18-02-2004 03:12 PM
Pipes freezing? Dennis Clark Ponds 0 19-01-2004 05:20 PM
frozen pipes Drew Lovasi Ponds 4 16-02-2003 06:51 AM
re Frozen Pipes? John Rutz Ponds 0 05-02-2003 06:10 PM
Contigency Pipes for a Stream BenignVanilla Ponds 4 02-02-2003 02:53 AM