Old 07-04-2005, 03:09 AM

Default Anyone know what fish this is?

Anyone know what fish this is? I say fathead minnow (rosy red) but it
seems to be bigger than the 3 1/2" max and I think I saw a 5" one.

http://www.wildlifereserve.org/fish/f1.jpg
http://www.wildlifereserve.org/fish/f2.jpg
http://www.wildlifereserve.org/fish/f3.jpg
http://www.wildlifereserve.org/fish/f4.jpg

Thanks,

Sam

Old 07-04-2005, 03:19 AM

Sorry, I failed to say where it was caught. It's in western PA in a
freshwater pond.

Old 07-04-2005, 11:32 AM

I am sure it is some kind of minnow, LOL

However, it almost looks like a Lake Smelt...

Any chance a wayward spawning smelt could have gotten in there?

Paul
www.pondkoi.com

Old 07-04-2005, 06:41 PM
George

wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyone know what fish this is? I say fathead minnow (rosy red) but it
seems to be bigger than the 3 1/2" max and I think I saw a 5" one.

http://www.wildlifereserve.org/fish/f1.jpg
http://www.wildlifereserve.org/fish/f2.jpg
http://www.wildlifereserve.org/fish/f3.jpg
http://www.wildlifereserve.org/fish/f4.jpg

Thanks,

Sam

Looks like a shiner.

Old 07-04-2005, 07:12 PM

Agreed, shiner. Fathead isn't that sleek...

Paul
www.pondkoi.com

Old 08-04-2005, 12:48 PM

I had a fish biologist ID it for me. It is a creek chub.

Sam