Old 05-05-2005, 05:33 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Default How long does it take koi eggs to hatch?

Phyllis and I tried putting a blue filter mat in the pond when we began
to see foam by the streams. Thought it might reflect koi spawning.
Turns out to be right! Eggs on the mat. Moved them to our new 400 gal
berm veggie filter.

Does anyone know how long it takes them to hatch?

TIA

Jim

Old 05-05-2005, 05:52 AM
Reel McKoi

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in message
Phyllis and I tried putting a blue filter mat in the pond when we began
to see foam by the streams. Thought it might reflect koi spawning.
Turns out to be right! Eggs on the mat. Moved them to our new 400 gal
berm veggie filter.

Does anyone know how long it takes them to hatch?

It was a warm spell when my koi spawned. It took less than a week for them
to hatch.
I have hundreds of koi fry in 1/2 barrels and 150 gallon kiddy pools.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
"To persevere in one's duty and

Old 05-05-2005, 05:53 AM
Reel McKoi

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in message
I found a British site that said 3-7 days. Does that match anyone's data?

=======================
Yes! :-)

Old 05-05-2005, 06:09 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in message
I found a British site that said 3-7 days. Does that match anyone's data?

Temperature dependent, seem mine averaged 4 days when water temps were
70ish. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 06-05-2005, 10:01 AM

Here's a good link on spawning Koi:

http://www.pondkoi.com/koi_reproduction.htm

Old 07-05-2005, 03:48 PM
Tom L. La Bron

Jim and Phyllis,

It is all temperature dependent as has been stated here. The warmer the
water the faster they hatch. If the water is too cool or too hot anomalies
can occur.

68 to 72 degrees is the best range with hatching in about 4 days, give or
take depending on the range.

Tom L.L.

Old 07-05-2005, 04:04 PM
Reel McKoi

"Tom L. La Bron" wrote in message
Jim and Phyllis,

It is all temperature dependent as has been stated here. The warmer the
water the faster they hatch. If the water is too cool or too hot

anomalies
can occur.

68 to 72 degrees is the best range with hatching in about 4 days, give or
take depending on the range.

==============================
We had two nights drop into the low 30s here and about 1/3 of the koi fry
died. The rest look ok.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 08-05-2005, 05:19 AM
Tom L. La Bron

Reel McKoi,

Fry are very susceptible to temperature variations and they usually don't
stand very low temperatures.

Tom L.L.

Old 08-05-2005, 06:23 AM
Reel McKoi

"Tom L. La Bron" wrote in message
Reel McKoi,

Fry are very susceptible to temperature variations and they usually don't
stand very low temperatures.

=====================
There was no way to keep those 1/2 barrels warm so I moved all the fry to
two 150 gallon kiddy pools behind the house this afternoon. I added plants
and a lot of greenwater from an old plant propagantion pool (which contains
water fleas). The pools hold a steady temperature a lot better than the
barrels. Most of the fry are at a strange size/age now - too big for egg
yolk and egglayer fines but too small for finger crushed flakes. I hope at
least some survive.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
"Please check people's headers for forgeries before