Old 12-06-2005, 10:51 PM
William Laven

Default Need mosquito control safe for cats

I have a small ornamental pond (500 gallons) and there are mosquito
larvae in it. I DO NOT want to use fish as larvae control so need to
know about chemical treatments. The pond serves as a large water dish
for my six cats so I need something which kills the mosquitos, but is
safe for cats. Any proven suggestions?

cc's offline to would be appreciated because my
news server is often down
Old 12-06-2005, 11:02 PM
Era-Koi

"William Laven" wrote in message
I have a small ornamental pond (500 gallons) and there are mosquito
larvae in it. I DO NOT want to use fish as larvae control so need to
know about chemical treatments. The pond serves as a large water dish
for my six cats so I need something which kills the mosquitos, but is
safe for cats. Any proven suggestions?

====================
Mosquito Dunks are safe and can be found almost everywhere.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 12-06-2005, 11:24 PM
RichToyBox

Get mosquito dunks. They are safe for finned, and other friends, and deadly
to mosquito larvae.
--
RichToyBox

Old 13-06-2005, 01:18 AM
Gale Pearce

"Martin Oakes" wrote in message
Sorry to be dumb, but what please, is a mosquito dunk?
Martin

** you can find them at most stores that carry insect control stuff, but I
have never seen a brand "Mosquito Dunks" - you will have to look for a
treatment for standing water that will kill mosquito larvae - the one I saw
was granular, but I decided to stay with the "a couple(or a few or more) of
goldfish" solution - it wasn't cheap and had to be re-applied every few
weeks, as well the goldfish thing took care of it and that is all they got
to eat - as well, they got to come indoors to the acquarium for the winter
before I put them up for adoption the following summer to some lucky ponder

Gale :~)

Old 13-06-2005, 02:19 AM
Snooze

"Martin Oakes" wrote in message
Sorry to be dumb, but what please, is a mosquito dunk?
Martin

Mosquito dunks are made out of Bacillus thuringiensis, a bacteria that kills
mosquito larva. Mosquito dunks are sold in either the powder form, (mosquito
bits) or in a donut shaped disk. I prefer the mosquito dunks.

Out here in california, you can buy mosquito dunks at most hardware stores,
like lowes, home depot, orchard supply.

-S

Old 14-06-2005, 01:46 AM
Courageous

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 00:04:57 GMT, "Martin Oakes" wrote:

Sorry to be dumb, but what please, is a mosquito dunk?

Google is your friend. When you use it, you should quickly find
a large number of places that will sell you the dunks.

There are other options to the dunk. You can try mosquito fish,
or rosey red minnows. Both do well in relatively small containers.
You will have to feed them a little, but their certainly won't
be any mosquito larva around.

With the rosey reds, your mosquito control is also decorative.

You might find this aesthetically pleasing?

C//

Old 14-06-2005, 07:11 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

Google is your friend. When you use it, you should quickly find
a large number of places that will sell you the dunks.

10 seconds and here's a pictu
http://www.marchbiological.com/L/mosquito_control.html ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 21-06-2005, 07:12 PM
axolotl

Try AquaBac its bacillus thuriensis isrealensis which is mosquito
specific.

for more info look here
http://www.biconet.com/biocontrol/ infosheets/AquabacBulletin.pdf
http://www.adapcoinc.com/pdf/AQB200CGm.pdf
http://www.nobite.ca/homeowner/larvicide/aquabac_e.php

or just google it.

ANO

William Laven wrote in
:

Old 22-06-2005, 01:47 PM
Derek Broughton

axolotl wrote:

Try AquaBac its bacillus thuriensis isrealensis which is mosquito
specific.

B. Thuringiensis Israelensis, for those who might be googling - but BT is
easier :-)

for more info look here
http://www.biconet.com/biocontrol/in...acBulletin.pdf

There was an extra blank in the URL originally - it's worth looking at this
page, interesting stuff. I thought BT was pretty broad spectrum against
insect larvae - this is really carefully targetted.

All BTs are safe to use around cats, dogs & kids.
--
derek