Old 29-06-2005, 05:18 PM
RicSeyler

Default Any Swimming Pool Experts?

Had a friend recommend trying here to get a couple suggestions on a pool
problem.
My mother's pool has terrible algae stains on the vinyl liner of her
gunnite pool.
After hurricane Ivan the pool sat dormant. Now there is what I can only
assume
is algae (I am an old SPS reef tank guy) all over the bottom. I tried
scrubbing with
a stiff brush but that has just about no effect. Her neighbor is
supposed to be watching
the chemical balance, but I don't think he has a handle on it.

Is there anything I can do to get this stuff off?? Any suggested product
or technique?

One suggestion I got from another group was to put Shock in a tube sock,
tape the sock
closed and attach to the pole and rub the liner (watching for excessive
bleaching of the liner).

Here is a link to a pic. You can see it on the steps and the bottom. It
almost looks like cyano but
doesn't brush off.

http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/r/.../algaepool.jpg

I know water testing, I just have to look up what the parameters and
what to test for.
I'm assuming Chlorine, Ph, CAL/Hardness.

Link to my reef tank Hurricane Ivan took :-(
http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/r/...yler/side4.jpg

--
Ric Seyler

Old 29-06-2005, 06:54 PM
Charles the baby crusher Paisley

RicSeyler wrote:
Had a friend recommend trying here to get a couple suggestions on a pool
problem.
My mother's pool has terrible algae stains on the vinyl liner of her
gunnite pool.

My mother gets the same thing.. (at 70 she pays little attention to it
and if I'm not around for a couple weeks blammmo!)

Don't know her pool size but my moms is 30foot kidney shape.. I would
guess that your water chemist isn't up to scratch either, that or his
test kit is old or not calibrated well most pool supply places will
test your water for a nominal fee and then sell you all sorts of stuff
you probably don't need.

... first add baking soda five or more pounds (it wont hurt to over do
it a bit)

get a real algicide algymycin works well (shock does work but not
nearly as well) after two days of that vaccuum to drain to get all the
dead algea out (it does a great job of cloging the filter). As an aside
even the highest quality stabilized chlorine can "go off" over time so
unless what you are using is new then it might be best to toss it.. or
at least add an aditional stabilizer.

then continue to watch the pH ..

or stop the chlorine all togther and just add koi ... if it was my pool
that would be my choice...grin

Old 29-06-2005, 07:34 PM
ronm

I would try a good vinyl liner cleaner. But I doubt you will get it all out
if its stained. At best it will make it look passable. If not it may be
easier just to stain the entire bottom of the liner a darker colour . Maybe
not possible if the bottom is contoured and not flat.

Old 30-06-2005, 12:06 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

I know water testing, I just have to look up what the parameters and
what to test for. I'm assuming Chlorine, Ph, CAL/Hardness.

Link to my reef tank Hurricane Ivan took :-(
http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/r/...yler/side4.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous! Sorry you lost it, are you planning on trying again?

Regarding Pool, this is my suggestion: http://www.kilk.com/pond/ ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 30-06-2005, 03:48 PM
RicSeyler

~ janj JJsPond.us wrote:

I know water testing, I just have to look up what the parameters and
what to test for. I'm assuming Chlorine, Ph, CAL/Hardness.

Link to my reef tank Hurricane Ivan took :-(
http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/r/...yler/side4.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous! Sorry you lost it, are you planning on trying again?

I have all the equipment and the rock is sitting in a water filled trash
can. I'm in the process of
looking for a new home or a new lot to build on. Then I will put the
rock in a couple of crab traps
and let sit in the Gulf for a few months to get the bacteria back and
what ever hitchhikers that will
attach. I won't be able to get back on the island (Pensacola Beach,
Santa Rosa Island), the lots and
home prices went through the roof after Ivan, and I sold my stake in the
homestead deal I had on my
previous house below (i was in that house for 15 years). I'll have to
settle on the peninsula Gulf Breeze,
and even there the prices are still out of hand at this time. I'm just
being patient and camping in a relatives
house, Arrrrggghhh :-)

It was hard to walk out the door the last time knowing I might never see
my little fellers again,
3 years of hard work and loving care.....

http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/r/...-and-after.jpg

http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/r/...ler/porch2.jpg

http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/r/...ler/purple.jpg
http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/r/...er/shadows.jpg
http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/r/...yler/side1.jpg
http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/r/...uarterview.jpg
http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/r/...yler/side2.jpg
http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/r/...yler/side3.jpg

The little 10 gal Nano tank
http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler/tank/Nano.htm

Regarding Pool, this is my suggestion: http://www.kilk.com/pond/ ~ jan

LOLOL I agree that is really really neat!!!! All that flora and fauna in
the back yard is just too dang cool!!
What part of the country are you in? I'd sure like to do a pond also
when I get resettled. I love all of this type
a thing. I saw a reef made out of a small pool but the accumulated heat
got to the guy's project.

Old 30-06-2005, 07:24 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:48:27 -0500, RicSeyler wrote:

I have all the equipment and the rock is sitting in a water filled trash
can. I will put the rock in a couple of crab traps and let sit in the Gulf
for a few months to get the bacteria back and what ever hitchhikers that will
attach.

That's a lot easier (and sounds more fun) than what people go thru inland
to have such tanks.

being patient and camping in a relatives house, Arrrrggghhh :-)

I hope your wait isn't too long.

http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/r/...-and-after.jpg
http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/r/...ler/porch2.jpg
http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/r/...ler/purple.jpg
http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/r/...er/shadows.jpg
http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/r/...yler/side1.jpg
http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/r/...uarterview.jpg
http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/r/...yler/side2.jpg
http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/r/...yler/side3.jpg

The little 10 gal Nano tank
http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler/tank/Nano.htm

Wow, impressive!!!

LOLOL I agree that is really really neat!!!! All that flora and fauna in
the back yard is just too dang cool!!
What part of the country are you in?

I'm clear in the other corner of the US. Washington State (the dry side,
though, not the WEsTside. ;-)

I'd sure like to do a pond also when I get resettled. I love all of this type
a thing.

We are Porg.

The Borg said:
"We are _Borg_ resistant is futile, you will be assimilated."
The Porg say:
"We are Porg, resistant IS futile, you will be pond-elated."

P - Pond, O - Oriented, R - Recreational, G - Group )

I saw a reef made out of a small pool but the accumulated heat
got to the guy's project.

Can happen, did he try shade cloth? There's been a discussion on here
recently regarding keeping a pond cool in AZ. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 30-06-2005, 08:43 PM
RicSeyler

~ janj JJsPond.us wrote:

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:48:27 -0500, RicSeyler wrote:

I have all the equipment and the rock is sitting in a water filled trash
can. I will put the rock in a couple of crab traps and let sit in the Gulf
for a few months to get the bacteria back and what ever hitchhikers that will
attach.

That's a lot easier (and sounds more fun) than what people go thru inland
to have such tanks.

Yea reclaiming my rock will be easier that for inlanders.

being patient and camping in a relatives house, Arrrrggghhh :-)

I hope your wait isn't too long.

Me too!! I going to kill me relatives or they kill me if it takes too
much longer. hehehehehe ;-)

http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/r/...-and-after.jpg
http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/r/...ler/porch2.jpg
http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/r/...ler/purple.jpg
http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/r/...er/shadows.jpg
http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/r/...yler/side1.jpg
http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/r/...uarterview.jpg
http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/r/...yler/side2.jpg
http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/r/...yler/side3.jpg

The little 10 gal Nano tank
http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler/tank/Nano.htm

Wow, impressive!!!

Thanks, lots of work, but lots of satisfaction also.

LOLOL I agree that is really really neat!!!! All that flora and fauna in
the back yard is just too dang cool!!
What part of the country are you in?

I'm clear in the other corner of the US. Washington State (the dry side,
though, not the WEsTside. ;-)

Very pretty area and you setup looks very nice!

The Borg said:
"We are _Borg_ resistant is futile, you will be assimilated."
The Porg say:
"We are Porg, resistant IS futile, you will be pond-elated."

P - Pond, O - Oriented, R - Recreational, G - Group )

LOLOL :-)

I saw a reef made out of a small pool but the accumulated heat
got to the guy's project.

Can happen, did he try shade cloth? There's been a discussion on here
recently regarding keeping a pond cool in AZ. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

He needed the full intensity of the sun for the corals at the depth, but
the "small" body of water
retained too much heat. He tried to keep it at or under 88-90, the outer
limit of most corals
for extended periods of time. But it would always end up creeping up to
95-100.....
He was in Southern Alabama.

--
Ric Seyler

Old 30-06-2005, 09:19 PM
Roy

I take it you live in P'cola beach area........super nice territory
there. I lived for a long time in Perdido area myself, until I had
all the hurricanes I cared to have, and moved further inland. Still
have the property in Perdido though, but now we have a camper we keep
there which can be moved if need be.......situated right on Perdido
Bay off the point near soldiers creek......So when there is a storm
that is heading that way, we take two vehicles down and pickup the
camper and the boat a 24 footer, and bring them further inland.

How did that fellow that has the sort of dome or oval shaped sputkik
looking house fair out with Ivan last year?

Ever hear of the Charter Boat Chulamar? Skippers Dive Center? I used
ot work there part time, and also as a dive master on the Chulamar,
which has been renamed to somethng else now......

Did Ft. Pickens come out ok with Ivan as well. That area is just
beautiful, especially the old fort where Geronomo (sp?) was kept.
Pretty hard to protect that area during a hurricane though, but its
been there for a long time and been through a lot.

I used to like to go over to Ft. McCrae and just tie up to that old
steel piling wall and rock jetty and kick back and watch the boats
going in and out of the pass, and do a bit of scrounging on the
bottom, looking for old bricks which got pretty rounded over with
water and sands.......and the occasional ballast stones from the old
old days.. I have a heap of those old bricks just setting around here
and there and folks often ask where I got those flat red / tan
rounded rocks!

I see your into marine setups? Are you familiar with the JBJ Nano
cubes? Been thinking on getting the wife one for our wedding
anniversary, but now hear rthy are prone to just up and cracking for
no apparaent reason. Sure hate to plunk the money down on them if its
a problem. No big deal if its only got the water in it, but once you
get it cycled and going it would be a disaster for sure.

Regards

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 30-06-2005, 10:17 PM
RicSeyler

Roy wrote:

I take it you live in P'cola beach area........super nice territory
there. I lived for a long time in Perdido area myself, until I had
all the hurricanes I cared to have, and moved further inland. Still
have the property in Perdido though, but now we have a camper we keep
there which can be moved if need be.......situated right on Perdido
Bay off the point near soldiers creek......So when there is a storm
that is heading that way, we take two vehicles down and pickup the
camper and the boat a 24 footer, and bring them further inland.

Anything over 90mph and I bail to town :-)

How did that fellow that has the sort of dome or oval shaped sputkik
looking house fair out with Ivan last year?

He was my neighbor! It did real well. He lost the staircase and the
garage flooded.
The Discovery Channel crew stayed in it with him and they just showed
the episode.
"Hurricane Summer". The Dis Channel cornered us and wanted to know if we
would stay,
NADA! LOL Opal was enough for me, I thought the house was going to
collapse then.
And you see what Ivan did, from the link. Dang glad I didn't stay. We
went to town.

Ever hear of the Charter Boat Chulamar? Skippers Dive Center? I used
ot work there part time, and also as a dive master on the Chulamar,
which has been renamed to somethng else now......

HAHAHA Capt Bubba Thorsen!! He's a friend of mine! Small World!!
It's still called the Chulamar, unless Bubba changed it in the last
couple months.
I also do his printing and he hasn't been in for anything in a couple
months.

Did Ft. Pickens come out ok with Ivan as well. That area is just
beautiful, especially the old fort where Geronomo (sp?) was kept.
Pretty hard to protect that area during a hurricane though, but its
been there for a long time and been through a lot.

NO it got trashed and there is now a pass between Ft Pickens and P'Cola
Beach.
It's going to be a couple years before they get the new pass filled and
can build another
road to open up. My friend is the park ranger there and they re-assigned
him to
Ft. Barancas. And he hates it :-)

I used to like to go over to Ft. McCrae and just tie up to that old
steel piling wall and rock jetty and kick back and watch the boats
going in and out of the pass, and do a bit of scrounging on the
bottom, looking for old bricks which got pretty rounded over with
water and sands.......and the occasional ballast stones from the old
old days.. I have a heap of those old bricks just setting around here
and there and folks often ask where I got those flat red / tan
rounded rocks!

A lot of people collect those for ornimanted walkways. :-)

I see your into marine setups? Are you familiar with the JBJ Nano
cubes? Been thinking on getting the wife one for our wedding
anniversary, but now hear rthy are prone to just up and cracking for
no apparaent reason. Sure hate to plunk the money down on them if its
a problem. No big deal if its only got the water in it, but once you
get it cycled and going it would be a disaster for sure.

Haven't seen the JBJ Cubes. I used a generic PetCo tank and ripped
everything out of the hood
and installed 80watts of Power Compact Flouresent. 10KK and Actinic.
Plus a Sander
Maxi Skim Skimmer. Most Nano Cubes try to get by with Bio-Balls or
Skilters, but
they generally don't pull out enough for Marine Reef, really need a
skimmer. And something
that small really needs an AirStone style skimmer, instead of a venturi
style like big tanks use.

Plus the money you spend on Live Rock and Live Sand is nothing to sneeze
at even with a Nano.

Ahh I just Googled up the JBJ, it has Bio-Balls, but there is a place
for a Carbon Bag to help with
water clarity and other stuff. It would be good for low light and hearty
corals like, Mushrooms,
Polyps, Green Stars, maybe a Leather and other soft corals.

http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler/tank/assembly.html

Regards

Ric Seyler

Old 30-06-2005, 11:10 PM
Roy

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 16:17:18 -0500, RicSeyler
wrote:

===
===
===Roy wrote:
===
===I take it you live in P'cola beach area........super nice territory
===there. I lived for a long time in Perdido area myself, until I had
===all the hurricanes I cared to have, and moved further inland. Still
===have the property in Perdido though, but now we have a camper we keep
===there which can be moved if need be.......situated right on Perdido
===Bay off the point near soldiers creek......So when there is a storm
===that is heading that way, we take two vehicles down and pickup the
===camper and the boat a 24 footer, and bring them further inland.
===
===Anything over 90mph and I bail to town :-)

I rode out Fredrick. We had come back to town and they said thiengs
were fine, (sunday evening) next day they say its heading north again,
then it should not be a problem, then not a problem, then a
problem,,and so on and the next thing its dab smack south of the house
and coming full bore. I raced from where we live now down to the
house in Perdido, with a trailer load of plywood etc to board up the
front porch windows etc as it was a wall of glass 65 feet long that
looked directly out over the bay into the gulf without a dune or tree
anywhere to break any wind (not that it would have mattered much) as
well as food and some supplies and gas and a gen set. I figured until
we (brother and I) borded it up it may be safe to stay in the basement
portion (house sat on a high bluff, with three sides of its foundation
dug into the bank and formed a sort of lower level or
basement)......state troopers did not want to allow us back inthe
area, told them my wife was there and I would only be a few
minutes......so they let us pass. Never could get a thing boarded up
as winds were already up there, so we went in the house and hoped for
the best.......had to move from the upstairs to the lower level after
front porch and roof went, then the glass front, which allowed the
wind to work on the main roof, which it eventually took off and we
only ever found a small portion of it, things soon got bad donwstairs
with water running in everywhere, and then a tree came down, and
through the upstairs floor as well, so we bailed and rode it out in my
K5 Blazer, which was a rocking and a rolling in that
wind..........mighty strange and erie feeling out in the middle of
nowhere back then, dark as can be except for lightning, no phone,
nothing...........and then come sun rise not a sound could be heard
anywhere not even a bird, and the guld was like a mirrow, without a
ripple in it......
===How did that fellow that has the sort of dome or oval shaped sputkik
===looking house fair out with Ivan last year?
===
===He was my neighbor! It did real well. He lost the staircase and the
===garage flooded.
===The Discovery Channel crew stayed in it with him and they just showed
===the episode.
==="Hurricane Summer". The Dis Channel cornered us and wanted to know if we
===would stay,
===NADA! LOL Opal was enough for me, I thought the house was going to
===collapse then.
===And you see what Ivan did, from the link. Dang glad I didn't stay. We
===went to town.
===

Glad to hear he did ok, I had heard throughn the grape vine that fella
wa gonna ride it out, as was the owner of the Chulamar..........glad
it worked out for them.
===
===Ever hear of the Charter Boat Chulamar? Skippers Dive Center? I used
===ot work there part time, and also as a dive master on the Chulamar,
===which has been renamed to somethng else now......
===
===HAHAHA Capt Bubba Thorsen!! He's a friend of mine! Small World!!
===It's still called the Chulamar, unless Bubba changed it in the last
===couple months.
===I also do his printing and he hasn't been in for anything in a couple
===months.

Thorsen does not ring a bell for some reason or other, this was back
in the late 70's, so it maya have been, and i just don;t remember.
Heck I can;t even remember the name of the owner of Skippers Dive shop
where I worked part time as an instructor.......think its out of
business now or boughtout and renamed, but IIRC it was on railroad or
wright street.......
===
===
===Did Ft. Pickens come out ok with Ivan as well. That area is just
===beautiful, especially the old fort where Geronomo (sp?) was kept.
===Pretty hard to protect that area during a hurricane though, but its
===been there for a long time and been through a lot.
===
===NO it got trashed and there is now a pass between Ft Pickens and P'Cola
===Beach.
===It's going to be a couple years before they get the new pass filled and
===can build another
===road to open up. My friend is the park ranger there and they re-assigned
===him to
===Ft. Barancas. And he hates it :-)

Man I hate to hear Pickens got tore up..........its a real shame
===
===
===I used to like to go over to Ft. McCrae and just tie up to that old
===steel piling wall and rock jetty and kick back and watch the boats
===going in and out of the pass, and do a bit of scrounging on the
===bottom, looking for old bricks which got pretty rounded over with
===water and sands.......and the occasional ballast stones from the old
===old days.. I have a heap of those old bricks just setting around here
===and there and folks often ask where I got those flat red / tan
===rounded rocks!
===
===A lot of people collect those for ornimanted walkways. :-)

I heard those old bricks originally were from Ft McCrae or Barancas
and I also heard they were just junk thrown out in the gulf and bay
over the years, but whatever they are the brick are neat and so are
those round ballast stones. I had thought I found an old cannon ball
the first time I found one, and I was really excited.........then I
was told they are ballast stones froom the old sailing ship days.
===
===
[...]

===-----------------------------------------
===Ric Seyler
===

I am just leary of the glass breakage everyone is talking about. NOw I
just found a site that is called Nanotuners.com and nanocustom.com
that is stat8ing they have acrylic tanks in the works......so maybe i
will hold off a little longer before I make my mind up. The
nanocustom and also a nano forum have all kinds of mods for them, as
well as a skimmer setup made from a plastic cassette cartridge case,
bigger lights and a chiller. I like the optional lunar
lighting.....looks just like it would if you were under water and a
full moon was out.........really neat.

Regards and hope this year is not a repeat of last year.

"The original frugal ponder"

Old 30-06-2005, 11:53 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 22:10:33 GMT, (Roy) wrote:

[...]

Amazing story, Roy! Wow. ~ jan

Old 01-07-2005, 07:58 PM
RicSeyler

That is really true after a hurricane, everything is erie quiet and
if you notice the night sky and the stars are brilliant. From there
being no electricity for miles and miles in every direction, so no light
pollution.

Old 01-07-2005, 08:25 PM
Roy

Yep, I neglected to mention how bright the sun was the next morning,
not a cloud or haze from any dust, just bright brilliant blue and the
nights just setting there without power for over 2 weeks was awesome.
YOu do not realize how bright those stars etc really are, espeically
when your used to seeing lights from other houses and along the water
fronts illuminated.........even the normal night time traffin out on
the bays and gulf was reduced, and the nav lights from those that were
out could easily be seen from shore.

I have a question for you on the Chulamar..On Cptn Bubbas webite he
has the boat being made in 1995.........The Chulamar I am familiar
with was already in the water in the mid to late 60's and it was in
the mid to late 70's early 80's I used to be on it myself. The boat
looks like the one i was on in every way right down to big, and slow
and wide, so I am wondering if it wa actually refurded in 1995 or an
entirely new Chulamar was built, but I wonder where the old original
went?

I have emailed Bubba a few times but emails seem to bounce since I am
not on his list of approved email recipients, at least thats the
reply I get back from an auto responder.

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 13:58:52 -0500, RicSeyler
wrote:

===That is really true after a hurricane, everything is erie quiet and
===if you notice the night sky and the stars are brilliant. From there
===being no electricity for miles and miles in every direction, so no light
===pollution.
===
===
===
===Roy wrote:
===
===On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 16:17:18 -0500, RicSeyler
===wrote:
===
===
===
===

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 06-07-2005, 05:51 PM
RicSeyler

No the 70' Chulamar was gotta be built in the 60's :-), Bubba also
bought a 24' Katelyn
maybe that's what the web site is referring to by mistake.

wrote:

===That is really true after a hurricane, everything is erie quiet and
===if you notice the night sky and the stars are brilliant. From there
===being no electricity for miles and miles in every direction, so no light
===pollution.
===
===
===
===Roy wrote:
===
===On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 16:17:18 -0500, RicSeyler
===wrote:
===
===
===