Old 07-07-2005, 02:06 AM
Roy

Default Madagascar Dwarf Water Lily = Dauben Tropical lily

I had obtained a tropical lily called a Dauben, and was told it is
quite self adjusting, so much that it will only grow so large in a
small aquarium or container or if placed in a pond it could also get
to about 6 or more feet in spread.....I had it planted in a 29 gal
tank, and its bloomed a few times now, and yet this plant only has
leaves about as large as a half dollar or so, and the smallest lily i
have ever seen..its really a mico lily.... The water depth is whatever
the standard 29 gal tanak is, 16" or so, and its planted in the
gravel.

Today I was told that all a Madagascar lily is which is very popular
with aquarium enthusists since it stays so small, is that the actual
lily called a Madagascar Dwarf is in all reality a Dauben.........I
paid $15.00 for the Dauben,, but fish shops want $40+ for a "Madagasar
Dwarf Lilly".........

This lily would look super in a basin sized water feature or some
other small container.

I have two other tropicals this year planted and doing fine, aPanama
Pacific (purple in color) and a Albert Greenberg which is a yellow
pink bloom, both of which are day bloomers.....The Dauben is a light
sky blue in color

I may get another Dauben and plant it in the large pond.......I have
seen em before in ponds full size and you would never believe they
were the same lily

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 09-07-2005, 11:16 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 01:06:09 GMT, (Roy) wrote:

I have two other tropicals this year planted and doing fine, aPanama
Pacific (purple in color) and a Albert Greenberg which is a yellow
pink bloom, both of which are day bloomers.....The Dauben is a light
sky blue in color

I may get another Dauben and plant it in the large pond.......I have
seen em before in ponds full size and you would never believe they
were the same lily

Do your temperatures stay warm enough that they can winter in the pond?
~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 09-07-2005, 11:29 PM
Roy

Dunno that Jan..never had them before this year.........I know my pond
does not get close to freezing temps, but we do get occasional frosts,
which are very light.....all I can do is try it and see......or bring
em in the house or put em in the barn if need be........

The one nursery in town that has a good selection of aquatic plants
said they have not had problem with tropicals as long as frost etc did
not get the, and all theirs are kept in side in an unheated greenhouse
in a small pond..Just going to have to give it a try.....Or I can trim
em back and plop them in the other larger aquarium ;-) You can see,
I am not at all familiar with tropical lilys.........

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 15:16:47 -0700, ~ janj JJsPond.us
wrote:

===