Old 08-07-2005, 02:34 PM
G & K Meyer

Default Re ph trouble

I should add that our pond is on a every third day fill cycle, it gets new
water with I tested and is a very low ph so that should bring it down every
third day right?
Also What is this KH ? What does it do?
The strips I have test for Hardness, Chlorine, Bromine, ph, Alkalinity and
Stabilizer.
I can start to check AM and PM will it matter when, like if the sun is
on the pond or how late in the evening, also like I mentioned with my pond
filling
today will that make a difference?
It has been in the 90's for awhile here could temp have anything to do
with ph ?
Thanks again, this group is great.

pond 4 years old at least. ph out of tap is 6.3. fish about a dozen.
fish about as old as pond with some new off spring. Fish seem to be fine.
but plants not doing so good.

Strips are only good to show a problem, and thus get the big guns out, the
liquid test kits. I highly recommend Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, if buying
in
local store, check the lot no. for the date of manufacture.

Since your strip only goes to 8.4 you don't know if your pond is 8.4 or
much higher. Get a wide range pH testor that goes to at least 9.0 and get
KH tester.... in the meantime, gives us your pH in the AM and PM. If it is
swinging widely, that is more reason to be concerned.

The only acceptable numbers for ammonia & nitrite are zeros. Anything else
treat them. Ammonia with an ammonia locking (chloramine remover) chemical
and salt for nitrite. ~ jan

Old 08-07-2005, 04:50 PM
RichToyBox

KH is the same as alkalinity. By the way, is your water from a well? Many
wells have acid water with high alkalinity, but high in CO2, which is boiled
out by water falls, air stones, etc. If well water, put some of the water
in a bucket, aerate for 24 hours and check pH. It should rise
significantly.
--
RichToyBox

Old 08-07-2005, 07:57 PM
Hal

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 07:34:48 -0600, "G & K Meyer"
wrote:

Also What is this KH ? What does it do?

KH is also called carbonate hardness and total alkalinity.
The whole article he
http://www.koiclubsandiego.org/library/alkalinity.html

Alkalinity is related to the amount of dissolved calcium, magnesium,
and other compounds in the water and as such, alkalinity tends to be
higher in "harder" water. Lime leaching out of concrete ponds is a
primary source of alkalinity but it is also slowly increased by
evaporation which concentrates the source compounds. Alkalinity is
naturally decreased over time through bacterial action which produces
acidic compounds that combine with and reduce the alkalinity
components.

Regards,

Hal
Old 09-07-2005, 01:55 AM
Courageous

Alkalinity is related to the amount of dissolved calcium, magnesium,
and other compounds in the water and as such, alkalinity tends to be
higher in "harder" water. Lime leaching out of concrete ponds is a
primary source of alkalinity but it is also slowly increased by
evaporation which concentrates the source compounds. Alkalinity is
naturally decreased over time through bacterial action which produces
acidic compounds that combine with and reduce the alkalinity
components.

And for us dum dums, one might say that it's stuff in the water
that buffers it from becoming acidic, even if there are acid
sources in the pond (which there are).

C//

Old 09-07-2005, 02:48 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Courageous" wrote in message

Alkalinity is related to the amount of dissolved calcium, magnesium,
and other compounds in the water and as such, alkalinity tends to be
higher in "harder" water. Lime leaching out of concrete ponds is a
primary source of alkalinity but it is also slowly increased by
evaporation which concentrates the source compounds. Alkalinity is
naturally decreased over time through bacterial action which produces
acidic compounds that combine with and reduce the alkalinity
components.

And for us dum dums, one might say that it's stuff in the water
that buffers it from becoming acidic, even if there are acid
sources in the pond (which there are).

C//

The alkalinity in my pond is 180 ppm which means little to me. The PH is
8.4 the highest the test reads. The general hardness is 150 ppm. Nitrate
was 20 ppm and the others zero.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b