Old 09-07-2005, 04:54 PM
Bill Stock

Default BS Pond report for July 9th

I woke up this morning to the screaming in my ear, "The Pond is empty". So I
stumble out of bed to go check it out, and it was down, but only about 8".
The voice of doom and gloom had overreacted. Damn waterfall is leaking
again, despite the new underlay last year. I decided to pull some Algae out
while I was there and noticed that two of the WH are blooming. They have
NEVER bloomed before, I'm not sure if this is good or bad, based on the
"They only bloom when they're stressed" theory. I added the usual slew of
chemicals, Iron, Potassium, Dechlor, Bacteria and decided to pull the Lilies
to give them a plant tab. They have really grown since I fertilized them a
couple of weeks ago and finally have some flowers below the surface. No if
the Algae would just FOAD I'd be happy.

BS

Old 09-07-2005, 05:40 PM
kathy

Yeah, always suspicious of water hyacinth
blooming.
But I think they feel that feeling crowded is
feeling doomed (like they can't reproduce via
runners anymore) so that isn't a bad thing
for the pond. When mine fill up the stock
tank filter they start to bloom.

kathy :-)
www.blogfromthebog.com
this week ~ kingfisher

Pond 101 page for new pond keepers ~

Old 09-07-2005, 06:01 PM
Wilmdale

kathy wrote:

Yeah, always suspicious of water hyacinth
blooming.
But I think they feel that feeling crowded is
feeling doomed (like they can't reproduce via
runners anymore) so that isn't a bad thing
for the pond. When mine fill up the stock
tank filter they start to bloom.

kathy :-)
www.blogfromthebog.com
this week ~ kingfisher

Pond 101 page for new pond keepers ~

Blooming WH; this is a bad thing for them? Here I have been hoping mine
would bloom, which they did, 4 - 5 lavender blossoms and I was happy.
So blooming is a sign of needing more room, huh? I would have never
guessed. I think I will let my crowd a bit more before starting to put
the excess on the compost.
W. Dale

Old 09-07-2005, 06:10 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
I woke up this morning to the screaming in my ear, "The Pond is empty". So

stumble out of bed to go check it out, and it was down, but only about 8".
The voice of doom and gloom had overreacted. Damn waterfall is leaking
again, despite the new underlay last year. I decided to pull some Algae

out
while I was there and noticed that two of the WH are blooming. They have
NEVER bloomed before, I'm not sure if this is good or bad, based on the
"They only bloom when they're stressed" theory. I added the usual slew of
chemicals, Iron, Potassium, Dechlor, Bacteria and decided to pull the

Lilies
to give them a plant tab. They have really grown since I fertilized them a
couple of weeks ago and finally have some flowers below the surface. No if
the Algae would just FOAD I'd be happy.

My neighbor across the road is also worried about leaking waterfalls and his
is planned to be quite large. He may decide to not have a waterfall.
They're beautiful thought and really add to a pond. My step daughter and
her husband gave up on their waterfall. They never could get it to stop
leaking. I wish you luck with it.

Like death and taxes algae will always be with us.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b