Old 09-07-2005, 11:18 PM
uvdoc

Default cloudy green water

I have cloudy green water I have lots of plants and plenty of circulation
using a tetra bio filter and tetra uv filter but still getting dark to
green water and suggestions on what I can do to clear the water put the uv
filter in last year and it all went away but cant seam to get it clear this
year have done a 60% water change but still no luck Thanks Jim in Virginia.

Old 10-07-2005, 12:10 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 21:18:38 GMT, "uvdoc" wrote:

I have cloudy green water I have lots of plants and plenty of circulation
using a tetra bio filter and tetra uv filter but still getting dark to
green water and suggestions on what I can do to clear the water put the uv
filter in last year and it all went away but cant seam to get it clear this
year have done a 60% water change but still no luck Thanks Jim in Virginia.

Filling out the Sick Fish/Pond form (in the newsgroup) would give us more
of a clue of how to help.

Did you change the UV? How many fish do you have that you didn't last year?
Don't do 60% water changes, that can make it worst. Better is 10% every
other day if you think a large water change is needed. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 10-07-2005, 02:46 AM
Reel Mckoi

"uvdoc" wrote in message
. net...
I have cloudy green water I have lots of plants and plenty of circulation
using a tetra bio filter and tetra uv filter but still getting dark to
green water and suggestions on what I can do to clear the water put the uv
filter in last year and it all went away but cant seam to get it clear

this
year have done a 60% water change but still no luck Thanks Jim in

Virginia.
=============================
I also have Tetra filters and Tetra UV lights (which I no longer use).
Make sure the sleeve is CLEAN inside the UV unit. Don't touch the bulb with
your fingers. If minerals build up on the sleeve the unit will be useless.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 14-07-2005, 09:14 PM
Registered User

When you think of your pond - think circulation and filtration. As a rule usually a pond under 1000 gallons needs to be turned over every hour. A pond over 1000 gallons turned over once at least every two hours. Consider your pump GPH- and the head (resistance) that your pump is working against. For example a 3000 GPH pump may only pump 1800 GPH as it pushes water up a 3 ft waterfall and thru 20 feet of pump. So if your sytems is adaquately circulating, then go to filtration.

Most people pump all their water thru their filter system at a high rate (GPH). Most filters don't work well this way. The larger debris is forced thru the filter material, ground up in to smaller particles, blows past the filter mats and back in to your pond. Are you using a Tetra clear choice filter or a pressurized system or both? If you are using the pressurized sytem then I would recommend a good prefilter before it to catch the larger debris.

For the Tetra clear choice then I recommend that you split your water input to that filter, such as using a T fitting then running part to your filter and the rest to your waterfall. The Tetra clear choice is an excellent trickle tower if used in that way providing a relatively cheap, effective biofilter.

Hope this helps. Happy ponding.