Old 10-07-2005, 01:15 AM
Joel

Default fish nipping at each other

I have a pond with carious types of goldfish, ranging from 2 to 6 inches, 2
are koi that are about 4 inches.

all are healthy.

Something I've noticed is a few fish are taking nips at one of the koi,
they go up to the koi's sides and what looks like its taking a nip out of
it, sometimes the fish will chase it.

It doesnt happen often, but its always this one koi and the same 2 other
fish who do the nipping, one smaller and one larger then the koi.

The Koi is healthy, no cuts or anything.

Does this mean anything ?

Joel.

Old 10-07-2005, 02:35 AM
George

"Joel" wrote in message
5...
I have a pond with carious types of goldfish, ranging from 2 to 6 inches,
2
are koi that are about 4 inches.

all are healthy.

Something I've noticed is a few fish are taking nips at one of the koi,
they go up to the koi's sides and what looks like its taking a nip out of
it, sometimes the fish will chase it.

It doesnt happen often, but its always this one koi and the same 2 other
fish who do the nipping, one smaller and one larger then the koi.

The Koi is healthy, no cuts or anything.

Does this mean anything ?

Joel.

Probably not. It is likely normal behavior.

Old 10-07-2005, 02:41 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Joel" wrote in message
5...
The Koi is healthy, no cuts or anything.

Does this mean anything ?

==========================
It sounds like breeding behavior. When my koi spawn the goldfish also
spawn.... it's a mad free-for-all with the GF chasing the koi and the koi
going after and nipping the GF. It appears to be normal behavior this time
of year.

--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 11-07-2005, 08:04 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 23:15:54 GMT, Joel wrote:

I have a pond with carious types of goldfish, ranging from 2 to 6 inches, 2
are koi that are about 4 inches.
all are healthy.
Something I've noticed is a few fish are taking nips at one of the koi,
they go up to the koi's sides and what looks like its taking a nip out of
it, sometimes the fish will chase it.
It doesnt happen often, but its always this one koi and the same 2 other
fish who do the nipping, one smaller and one larger then the koi.
The Koi is healthy, no cuts or anything.
Does this mean anything ?
Joel.

Not being flip, but goldfish are sometimes quite S.T.U.P.I.D. They think
the koi is full of eggs and are trying to mate with it. I've had goldfish
harass a koi to death, that's when I removed them all from the koi ponds.
At 4" your koi isn't anywhere near old enough to be hanging out in the
seedy parts of town those goldfish want to take it, if you know what I
mean.

As long as the koi isn't being hurt, I wouldn't worry about it, but I'd
keep an eye on those nasty boys! ;o) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 12-07-2005, 12:12 AM
ivetter

I've been lurking for the past week or so, just reading and am otherwise
new to rec.ponds.

I've got a few goldfish who are doing this also. It really looks like an
inch long comet is tormenting this six inch goldfish.

I would love a spawn of fry.

Isaac

Reel Mckoi wrote:
5...

Old 12-07-2005, 12:43 AM
Reel Mckoi

"ivetter" wrote in message
I've been lurking for the past week or so, just reading and am otherwise
new to rec.ponds.

I've got a few goldfish who are doing this also. It really looks like an
inch long comet is tormenting this six inch goldfish.

I would love a spawn of fry.

=======================
A goldfish of any kind only 1" long is probably too young to breed. Make
sure you have a lot of plants in your pond if you hope to save any of the
fry.

Old 12-07-2005, 12:44 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

I've got a few goldfish who are doing this also. It really looks like an
inch long comet is tormenting this six inch goldfish.

I would love a spawn of fry.
Isaac

If you've got enough hiding places for the eggs & fry, more goldfish you
will get. Why I stick with the fantails, less prolific and easier to catch.
~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~