Old 11-07-2005, 12:37 AM
Mickey

Default Dechlorinating Water for Pond

I have a 3000 gallon pond that I normally top off using my well water. The
house is on city water, the well pump quit after 17 years and it is getting
replaced. I need to top off the pond with about 200 gallons of water. Anyone
else here ever buy a applicator for fertilizer that goes on the end of hose
, mix the appropriate amount of water and dechlorinater in the jug and top
off there pond? I am doing it as I write this, I actually put twice the
required amount of dechlorinator in the jug and put enough for 2500 gallons
at the intake of the pump to spread it around. How do other people deal with
this when you use city water?

Old 11-07-2005, 12:51 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Mickey" wrote in message
I have a 3000 gallon pond that I normally top off using my well water. The
house is on city water, the well pump quit after 17 years and it is

getting
replaced. I need to top off the pond with about 200 gallons of water.

Anyone
else here ever buy a applicator for fertilizer that goes on the end of

hose
, mix the appropriate amount of water and dechlorinater in the jug and top
off there pond? I am doing it as I write this, I actually put twice the
required amount of dechlorinator in the jug and put enough for 2500

gallons
at the intake of the pump to spread it around. How do other people deal

with
this when you use city water?

============================
I use a garden or greenhouse water wand to top up our ponds. I don't use a
dechlorinator unless I'm replacing maybe 25% of the water, or more. Our
Water Company doesn't use a lot of chlorine in the water.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 11-07-2005, 12:54 AM
Courageous

Anyone else here ever buy a applicator for fertilizer that goes on the end of hose
, mix the appropriate amount of water and dechlorinater in the jug and top
off there pond?

No, but it's a grand idea. It's basically an upside down venturi, that sucks
your application fluid into the jet stream. Quite clever of you.

I am doing it as I write this, I actually put twice the
required amount of dechlorinator

Not necessary, really, but also not harmful.

Don't quote me on this, but I suspect that you don't really need to dechlor
a 200 g top off for a 3000 gallon pond. But hey, better safe than sorry!
Anyway, as I'm admitting to being fuzzy about your amount (10%), why not
google around and see what the net thinks?

at the intake of the pump to spread it around. How do other people deal with
this when you use city water?

Small daily top offs don't really need dechlor, as the chlorine is both dilute
and quickly degasses out of your pond.

If your municipal water district happens to use chloramine (which they may
at any time, without notice, even if they generally don't), the top off will
still evaporate generally, as long as the amount is small.

In aquaria, the zealous often use reverse osmosis (RO) filters on their top
off water. I suspect that a 3000 G pond would put a lot of stress on any
/affordable/ RO unit, though...

C//

Old 11-07-2005, 03:10 AM
Jim Beasley

I bought one of those filters that use a cannister filter-the kind you mount
under the kitchen sink. Got 1 at Wally World for 27 bucks, with the
chlorine cartridge, added a couple parts to adapt to hose, and a valve, and
a shower head (just in case). About 36 bucks, but replacement cartridges
are only 7 bucks. Made a stand for it, works great! Also use for Mama's

Old 11-07-2005, 06:58 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 18:37:55 -0500, "Mickey" wrote:

I have a 3000 gallon pond that I normally top off using my well water. The
house is on city water, the well pump quit after 17 years and it is getting
replaced. I need to top off the pond with about 200 gallons of water. Anyone
else here ever buy a applicator for fertilizer that goes on the end of hose
, mix the appropriate amount of water and dechlorinater in the jug and top
off there pond? I am doing it as I write this, I actually put twice the
required amount of dechlorinator in the jug and put enough for 2500 gallons
at the intake of the pump to spread it around. How do other people deal with
this when you use city water?

That's clever. I'm sure this is labeled under YMMV due to set up. In my
case I put the hose at the top of the stream and put dry dechlor. in the
pump chamber. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 11-07-2005, 09:49 AM
George

"Mickey" wrote in message
I have a 3000 gallon pond that I normally top off using my well water. The
house is on city water, the well pump quit after 17 years and it is
getting replaced. I need to top off the pond with about 200 gallons of
water. Anyone else here ever buy a applicator for fertilizer that goes on
the end of hose , mix the appropriate amount of water and dechlorinater in
the jug and top off there pond? I am doing it as I write this, I actually
put twice the required amount of dechlorinator in the jug and put enough
for 2500 gallons at the intake of the pump to spread it around. How do
other people deal with this when you use city water?

It doesn't hurt anything, but there is no need to use so much
dechlorinator. You are simply wasting it. In fact, with the size of your
pond, 200 gallons of chlorinated water, if added with a vigorous spray from
a nozzle, is about all you need do. When I top off the water, I always use
city water, and only use a squirt of decholorinator. Never lost a fish or
plant yet because of it.

Old 11-07-2005, 05:00 PM
RichToyBox

The canisters scare me. I have had two members of our watergarden club have
the filters fail and kill fish. If you are going to use them, then you
really need a chlorine test kit and check the outflow frequently to see when
it is full and stops working. In one case, it was like it started in
reverse. The water coming out of the filter had a higher chlorine level
than the water going into the filter. It read as high safe for a swimming
pool.
--
RichToyBox

Old 11-07-2005, 06:10 PM
Reel Mckoi

Didn't think of that, but I will keep an eye on it. Thanks !!

=================
Chlorine can kill quickly. I partly drained, then refilled what I thought
was a fishless plant pool a few weeks ago. I had no idea a few small
goldfish were hiding among the plants. Not long afterward I went back there
to feed fry and saw several dead fish floating at the surface. :*(

Old 11-07-2005, 06:27 PM
Roy

I really think Jim is smart enough to know that Chlorine can
kill...............everyone is not as big a dumba$$ as you are.......

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:10:04 -0500, babbling idiot "Reel Mckoi"
wrote:

===Chlorine can kill quickly.

"The original frugal ponder"

Old 11-07-2005, 10:25 PM
Gib

"Mickey" wrote in message
I have a 3000 gallon pond that I normally top off using my well water. The
house is on city water, the well pump quit after 17 years and it is getting
replaced. I need to top off the pond with about 200 gallons of water.
Anyone else here ever buy a applicator for fertilizer that goes on the end
of hose , mix the appropriate amount of water and dechlorinater in the jug
and top off there pond? I am doing it as I write this, I actually put twice
the required amount of dechlorinator in the jug and put enough for 2500
gallons at the intake of the pump to spread it around. How do other people
deal with this when you use city water?

I do about that amount every day with city water, and haven't used dechlor
at all. On the few occasions I have done closer to a 50% change, I've used
it, just dumbed it in and proceeded to fill the pond. The fish have not
been bothered at all.
I would probably do it differently if I thought there were chloramines in
the water, but as far as I know, there aren't.

Old 12-07-2005, 12:40 AM
San Diego Joe

"George" wrote:

snip

if added with a vigorous spray from
a nozzle, is about all you need do. When I top off the water, I always use
city water, and only use a squirt of decholorinator. Never lost a fish or
plant yet because of it.

I've heard this spray mentioned before. Can you enlighten me? How does this
get rid of chlorine?

Thanks,

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 12-07-2005, 02:00 AM
Reel Mckoi

"San Diego Joe" wrote in message
"George" wrote:

snip

if added with a vigorous spray from
a nozzle, is about all you need do. When I top off the water, I always

use
city water, and only use a squirt of decholorinator. Never lost a fish

or
plant yet because of it.

I've heard this spray mentioned before. Can you enlighten me? How does

this
get rid of chlorine?

=========================
It dissipates in the air as it's being sprayed. I keep the water-wand
sprayhead 24" or more from the surface. This allows some or most of the
chlorine to escape as the streams of water leave the wand head and hit the
pond surface.

Old 12-07-2005, 02:41 AM
Courageous

I really think Jim is smart enough to know that Chlorine can
kill...............everyone is not as big a dumba$$ as you are.......

Remarks like this reveal far more about the person making them
than they do about the person being so treated.

C//

Old 12-07-2005, 03:25 AM
Roy

Hey courageous......the offer still stands, your welcome to bite my
ass any time your up to it. Its little twerps like you that like to
broaden the so called problems..now come bite my back side and shut
up.

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 18:41:14 -0700, another peanut from the peanut
gallery named Courageous fell off their fat backside and scribbled
scribbled after the first imbecile named
Reel Mckoi scratched about chlorine being dangerous.........duh!

===Remarks like this reveal far more about the person making them
===than they do about the person being so treated.
===
===C//

"The original frugal ponder"