Old 07-03-2003, 06:56 PM
Neil Law

Default Plants for a pond edge

I be interested in any recommendations you might have for putting on the edge of
a pond, especially something that would trail into the pond. I've got the usual
necklace of stones that I want to either hide or get rid of.

My pond gets constant sun from early morning to early evening. Surrounding
shrubs are too young to provide real shade.

Perennial plants are preferred but recommendations of annuals would be fine.

I'm in zone 5a (under a couple of feet of snow at the moment).

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-03-2003, 08:20 PM
K30a

Neil wrote
especially something that would trail into the pond

I have the following planted in boggy areas in my pond
Creeping Jenny
Aquatic Forget-me-not
both trail out into the water.

k30a
Old 08-03-2003, 06:45 PM
Hal

I tried a mint, but it was ugly when it went into the water, plus it
tried to cover the yard. Red verbena (perennial here) looks better
than any other plant I've tried and the fish seem to like eating the
blooms. Hope you find something you like.

Regards,

Hal

Old 08-03-2003, 07:21 PM
~ jan

On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 13:55:19 -0500, Neil Law wrote:

I be interested in any recommendations you might have for putting on the edge of
a pond, especially something that would trail into the pond. I've got the usual
necklace of stones that I want to either hide or get rid of.

I purchased Creeping Primrose as an aquatic plant and it loves to live in
the rocks around my pond. In fact I took the original pot out and left the
runners in the rocks. Has a very pretty yellow flower. Then there is
Kenilworth Ivy, small leaves like ivy, shallow rooted so easy to remove,
tough, has small purple orchid shaped flower. Goldfinches loves the seeds.
~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 09-03-2003, 12:21 AM
Laura Linz

ncr dot com wrote:

I be interested in any recommendations you might have for putting on the edge of
a pond, especially something that would trail into the pond. I've got the usual
necklace of stones that I want to either hide or get rid of.

My pond gets constant sun from early morning to early evening. Surrounding
shrubs are too young to provide real shade.

Perennial plants are preferred but recommendations of annuals would be fine.

I'm in zone 5a (under a couple of feet of snow at the moment).

Thanks in advance.

Neil,
How about grass? I have most of my pond edged with sod, but I bet you
could do smaller pieces in between the "necklace" stones. The nice
thing about it is thet the grass grows tall and goes to seed, which
looks a lot like many of the reed type water plants, but is very
inexpensive. I'm in zone 7 Long Island NY, so we use
bluegrass\ryegrass mix here. it grows right on top of the edge of the
liner, and then into onto the pond, and the fish love it.
Laura

Old 20-03-2003, 03:56 PM
Lone Star Chinchilla

dot com wrote:

I be interested in any recommendations you might have for putting on the edge of
a pond, especially something that would trail into the pond. I've got the usual
necklace of stones that I want to either hide or get rid of.

I planted something called "parrot's feather" and it is doing well and
trailing out into the water.

Lone Star Chinchilla
http://www.lonestarchinchilla.com
#1 Source for Chinchilla Feed & Supplies!