Old 13-07-2005, 08:30 PM
Mark and Kim Smith

Default Lily Contest and Help With ID??

Well, including night bloomers, I counted 16 blooms this morning. One
exotic is a Martin E. Randig hybrid called Leopardess. The night
bloomer exotic is the Rosa De Noche. The two hardies, I picked up at an
Armstrong Garden Center and they weren't labeled. Anyone want to hazard
a guess as to what they are??

http://www.bunchobikes.com/pond168.jpg
http://www.bunchobikes.com/pond169.jpg
Old 13-07-2005, 10:11 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

Well, including night bloomers, I counted 16 blooms this morning. One
exotic is a Martin E. Randig hybrid called Leopardess. The night
bloomer exotic is the Rosa De Noche. The two hardies, I picked up at an
Armstrong Garden Center and they weren't labeled. Anyone want to hazard
a guess as to what they are??

http://www.bunchobikes.com/pond168.jpg
http://www.bunchobikes.com/pond169.jpg

Gorgeous pink, unfortunately guessing would be a hazard, being pinks are
the vast majority variety with minute diversity. Believe it or not there
are people who can ID them, but it takes having the flower and basically
dissecting it to be sure (is my understanding).

Now, lets talk about those aphids in the 2nd pictures, shall we? ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 13-07-2005, 10:31 PM
Mark and Kim Smith

~ janj JJsPond.us wrote:

Well, including night bloomers, I counted 16 blooms this morning. One
exotic is a Martin E. Randig hybrid called Leopardess. The night
bloomer exotic is the Rosa De Noche. The two hardies, I picked up at an
Armstrong Garden Center and they weren't labeled. Anyone want to hazard
a guess as to what they are??

http://www.bunchobikes.com/pond168.jpg
http://www.bunchobikes.com/pond169.jpg

Gorgeous pink, unfortunately guessing would be a hazard, being pinks are
the vast majority variety with minute diversity. Believe it or not there
are people who can ID them, but it takes having the flower and basically
dissecting it to be sure (is my understanding).

Now, lets talk about those aphids in the 2nd pictures, shall we? ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Think I have sufficent quantity to hose them off and feed 'em to the
fishies?? I guess Dragonflies don't eat aphids? I've seen my mosquito
fish jump through the air, why don't they grab some as they go over the
pads?? Should I get my kids a bucket of Lady Bugs and see what fun they
could have with them?? So many questions!!!
Old 13-07-2005, 11:27 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

aphids
Think I have sufficent quantity to hose them off and feed 'em to the
fishies??

Don't hose them, worst thing you can do.

I guess Dragonflies don't eat aphids? I've seen my mosquito
fish jump through the air, why don't they grab some as they go over the
pads?? Should I get my kids a bucket of Lady Bugs and see what fun they
could have with them?? So many questions!!!

Now the lady bug idea I like.

Hosing just spreads them around. Aphids on lily pads usually are very
temporary, if you do it right. The best way I have found is to get in the
pond. If they are really thick on a pad, remove that pad entirely and don't
let any of them fall or wash off. If there aren't many, put one hand under
the lily pad with stem between 1st and 2nd fingers, supporting the pad.
With other hand squish the aphids with either fingers or heel of hand. Be
careful not to rip the pad. Remove any pads that are yellow or starting to
turn yellow, they are aphid magnetics. Do again in a week to get those you
missed. Squishing kills the aphid and removes the eggs. Seems I only have
to do this about twice a season and then the aphids don't come back. I'm
assuming the aphids have periodic migrations and just happen upon my lilies
via wind direction, etc. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 14-07-2005, 02:18 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message
Well, including night bloomers, I counted 16 blooms this morning. One
exotic is a Martin E. Randig hybrid called Leopardess. The night
bloomer exotic is the Rosa De Noche. The two hardies, I picked up at an
Armstrong Garden Center and they weren't labeled. Anyone want to hazard
a guess as to what they are??

http://www.bunchobikes.com/pond168.jpg
http://www.bunchobikes.com/pond169.jpg

==========================
That pink one is beautiful! I had one just like it from Home Depot and
accidentally gave it away to someone. The tags I put on them faded away in
the water after 2 years. I haven't seen that color for sale in my area
since. :*(
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 14-07-2005, 01:38 PM
Derek Broughton

~ janj JJsPond.us wrote:

aphids

Think I have sufficent quantity to hose them off and feed 'em to the
fishies??

Don't hose them, worst thing you can do.

I've _always_ done that, with absolutely no bad results. Never do it when
the sun's high though - water spots on the lilies will cause burns.

I guess Dragonflies don't eat aphids? I've seen my mosquito
fish jump through the air, why don't they grab some as they go over the
pads?? Should I get my kids a bucket of Lady Bugs and see what fun they
could have with them?? So many questions!!!

Now the lady bug idea I like.

Unfortunately, lady bugs aren't entirely innocuous. Most of the ones you
find for sale are invasive species. There aren't many genuine North
American lady bugs to be found these days.

Hosing just spreads them around.

Your fish must be too well-fed. My fish never let any "spread".
--
derek
Old 14-07-2005, 01:39 PM
Derek Broughton

Reel Mckoi wrote:

That pink one is beautiful! I had one just like it from Home Depot and
accidentally gave it away to someone. The tags I put on them faded away
in
the water after 2 years. I haven't seen that color for sale in my area
since. :*(

I got some good ones from Home Depot, but iirc they never did have any
proper identification.
--
derek
Old 14-07-2005, 04:00 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
Reel Mckoi wrote:

That pink one is beautiful! I had one just like it from Home Depot and
accidentally gave it away to someone. The tags I put on them faded away
in
the water after 2 years. I haven't seen that color for sale in my area
since. :*(

I got some good ones from Home Depot, but iirc they never did have any
proper identification.

=============================
The ones I have from HD (from 1997 or 98) came with a picture on the package
and the name of the lily. The names may not have been correct. They were
probably imported. In any case all the names have since been lost. The
best tags are those made of metal that you scratch the information on. I
wrote it with a permanent marker on a plastic plant tag. It wasn't very
permanent. I still have all but that beautiful deep pink lily and a
monster white one I gave to someone with a larger pond. That white lily
covered 1/2 the water surface of my 800 gallon pond and was not a good
bloomer.

Old 14-07-2005, 08:58 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

Don't hose them, worst thing you can do.
I've _always_ done that, with absolutely no bad results.

Exceptions to every rule.

Hosing just spreads them around.

Your fish must be too well-fed. My fish never let any "spread".

Most fish are. Perhaps yours are under fed, gasp fish abuser! ;o) Can you
see this on AP's Animal Cops? Someone pulled in for emancipated fish, all
they had to eat was bugs! ;-)

Regarding not having a problem though, I've known a lot of people who don't
think they have a problem because they don't know what to look for. So I
stand by my recommendation of squishing them. Plus it saves on therapy and
prevents net abuse. ) ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Lily Contest ~ janj JJsPond.us Ponds 33 17-07-2005 09:01 PM
Dead lily? where to buy hardy water lily? aslng Ponds 9 18-03-2004 09:33 AM
[IBC] Convention and New talent Contest Images Dennis Howke Bonsai 1 23-10-2003 04:12 AM
Not a lily ( What to do with lily question) Cereoid+10+ Gardening 12 10-03-2003 10:44 AM
Not a lily at all ( What to do with lily question) Cereoid+10+ Gardening 0 28-02-2003 05:51 PM