Baby Goldfish.. shouldn't they, well be gold??

Old 17-07-2005, 03:47 PM
Gareee©

Default Baby Goldfish.. shouldn't they, well be gold??

We put a bunch of goldfish from Wal-Mart last year in our pond. (13x13x1.5
ft-3ft).

We just discovered this am, that we have babies! Anywhere from1" long to
smaller.

But all are browish in color.. will they turn gold over time, or what? (All
the other goldfish have tripled in size in 1 year, and they are all still
gold.)

Also, based on my pond size, what will be a fish overload? I've counted 12
visible babies at any given time, so there's obviously more then that.

Worst case, we can relocate some to our indoor aquarium.

--
Gareee's Homepage:
http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine.../mainframe.htm

Remove Delicious spam to reply

Old 17-07-2005, 04:12 PM
Gareee©

Google is my freind.. found pics, and descriptions of the baby goldfish, so
I'll just wait for them to change color...

Old 17-07-2005, 08:27 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 10:12:53 -0400, "Gareee©" wrote:

Google is my freind.. found pics, and descriptions of the baby goldfish, so
I'll just wait for them to change color...

Possible Overload

Really depends on if you're feeding them. I only have a 500 gph pump with a
40-50 gallon filter on the 1,000 gallon lily pond (one big veggie filter).
I don't feed the fantail goldfish out there. In the fall I will pull out
the adults to winter inside in a 55 gallon aquarium. By spring I always
have a couple dozen babies that make it thru the winter. Some I keep to
grow and some I sell.

My only water quality issue with the lily pond has been the pH in spring
that finally settles down in July. I'm hoping that finally connecting a
filter to the bottom drain and skimmer, so I don't have to do a complete
drain and muck out each spring, will stop that. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 22-07-2005, 01:44 PM
~ janj JJsPond.ca

Gareee© wrote:
We put a bunch of goldfish from Wal-Mart last year in our pond. (13x13x1.5
ft-3ft).

We just discovered this am, that we have babies! Anywhere from1" long to
smaller.

you must be a happy mother.

But all are browish in color.. will they turn gold over time, or what? (All
the other goldfish have tripled in size in 1 year, and they are all still
gold.)

thats from your carol pooped pond
Old 04-08-2005, 01:53 AM
Gareee©

Ok, it's been 2 and a half weeks.. how fast do goldfish grow?

We spotted 4 today, about 3-4 inches, one was yellow/gold with a large blak
spot on his back and tail, and the other 3 were all still darkish in color.

We had 5 goldfish, and almost doubled our population this year!

(We also spotted a frog that's taken up residence after the snake (gone)
scared or ate the other ones, and two salamander/newts as well. Today.)

Yesterday, the local box turtle was also seen slinking along in the
grass....

Old 04-08-2005, 04:57 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Goldfish and rabbits! Fast multiplication. However, their connibalism
will help once you have a bunch in there.

Jim

Old 04-08-2005, 02:27 PM
Derek Broughton

Gareee© wrote:

Ok, it's been 2 and a half weeks.. how fast do goldfish grow?

Not _that_ fast.

We spotted 4 today, about 3-4 inches, one was yellow/gold with a large

I'd think they're a couple of months old.

blak spot on his back and tail, and the other 3 were all still darkish in
color.

That's normal. If you are able to watch the black spotted one over the next
couple of weeks, the spots will most likely shrink and disappear. The
other three should be fairly close behind. Some gf start to color change
at half that size, but I wouldn't expect them to take much longer than
this.

We had 5 goldfish, and almost doubled our population this year!

Where there's 9, there's 50...
--
derek
Old 04-08-2005, 03:42 PM
Gareee©

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
Gareee© wrote:

Ok, it's been 2 and a half weeks.. how fast do goldfish grow?

Not _that_ fast.

We spotted 4 today, about 3-4 inches, one was yellow/gold with a large

I'd think they're a couple of months old.

Hmmm I wonder if all the babies we saw last month were eaten then? We never
saw these babies at all though.. very weird.

blak spot on his back and tail, and the other 3 were all still darkish in
color.

That's normal. If you are able to watch the black spotted one over the
next
couple of weeks, the spots will most likely shrink and disappear. The
other three should be fairly close behind. Some gf start to color change
at half that size, but I wouldn't expect them to take much longer than
this.

We'll be watching them closer now.

We had 5 goldfish, and almost doubled our population this year!

Where there's 9, there's 50...

Yeppers.. next time I see babies, I think we'll net them and relocate them
into the aquarium in the house.

Old 04-08-2005, 05:42 PM
Derek Broughton

Gareee© wrote:

Ok, it's been 2 and a half weeks.. how fast do goldfish grow?

Not _that_ fast.

We spotted 4 today, about 3-4 inches, one was yellow/gold with a large

I'd think they're a couple of months old.

Hmmm I wonder if all the babies we saw last month were eaten then? We
never saw these babies at all though.. very weird.

The fact that you don't see any little ones now, is a good argument for why
you didn't see _these_ ones when they were only an inch long. I've managed
to lose 8-12" koi in my 5000gallon pond. Losing the little ones is
easy! :-)

Where there's 9, there's 50...

Yeppers.. next time I see babies, I think we'll net them and relocate them
into the aquarium in the house.

I think you worry too much :-) If you start tank-rearing them, you'll soon
wish you had fewer.
--
derek
Old 04-08-2005, 08:00 PM
kathy

Babies, especially from species that produce
A LOT of babies, are Mother Nature's fast food
and snack food. If they all survived we'd be
beating them off with baseball bats.

kathy :-) www.blogfromthebog.com
Pond 101 page for new pond keepers ~