Old 09-03-2003, 09:21 PM
Excalibur

Default Has anyone tried liquid EPDM?

And a good day to all of you fine outstanding ponders, spring isn't far for
those of us that are living in the northeastern climate of the USA, and now
is the time that we need to be prepared for the ponding season that is
coming faster than we think, I am one of those that need to be ready for the
season to start, so this is the question that I'm proposing to the group.
I was wondering if any of you have ever given this liquid EPDM a try? I
think that this would be an excellent tool to add to your inventory of tools
to battle against leaks. Hey its liquid EPDM, nice. No I am not a sales
individual, but what I am trying to accomplish is two things, sewing my pond
liners together permanently and secondly, I need to fix one of my flat
roofs. I figure I can seal two different leaks with one or two applications.
So if there is anyone out there that has tried this product, can you give me
or this outstanding group a reply?
I am embarrassed to say that I started my ponds back in 1996 and would love
to finish my six small ponds and make them as one. This would be the trick,
I think, but not sure. Yes I've used silicone to seal liners together, with
great success, but I think that being liquid EPDM, it would be a more
compliant seaming of liners. Thank you for your time. The link below is the
seller sight, the stuff isn't cheap, ($35 a gallon) but when it comes to
fastening liners, and a solid aquatic ecosystem, at what price to you place
on that? Thank You for you time. Pat

http://www.proguardcoatings.com

Old 10-03-2003, 01:44 AM
RichToyBox

Pat,

Generally the splicing of two pieces of EPDM involves overlapping and use of
a double face tape repair with a single face tape over the exposed lap.
This material says that it will not cure when applied between layers of
rubber, so the overlap would still need the double face tape, I think. The
cure is not defined in the literature. For a roof, it doesn't matter if it
takes weeks, months or years to obtain a complete cure, but for the pond, if
the solvent coming out is toxic, then you would need to have a complete cure
before the material cam in contact with the pond water. Most solvents would
be toxic, and no where does it say that it is fish safe. I would be real
concerned.
--
RichToyBox

Old 10-03-2003, 08:45 PM
~ jan

Not to mention that it may not work that well on used liner. Not to mention
the work involved to clean an old liner and do that much seaming, Wow.
~ jan

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 01:28:27 GMT, "RichToyBox" wrote:

Pat,
Generally the splicing of two pieces of EPDM involves overlapping and use of
a double face tape repair with a single face tape over the exposed lap.
This material says that it will not cure when applied between layers of
rubber, so the overlap would still need the double face tape, I think. The
cure is not defined in the literature. For a roof, it doesn't matter if it
takes weeks, months or years to obtain a complete cure, but for the pond, if
the solvent coming out is toxic, then you would need to have a complete cure
before the material cam in contact with the pond water. Most solvents would
be toxic, and no where does it say that it is fish safe. I would be real
concerned.

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~